Fostex TH900 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Mar 2, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #106 of 18,761
The Denon headphones were also made by Fostex, so there's definitely bound to be similarities in sound and design, though just how much is still a bit unclear. As for the coloration of Denons, it varies by model. The D7000 is probably the most relevant here however. It has a robust bottom end with quite a bit of punch (though it's less substantial---and also less bloated---than the D2000/D5000), sparkly and moderately bright highs, and a somewhat recessed midrange. I'd say it's a somewhat energetic signature while still remaining pleasant. It has a certain "cinematic" quality that lends the D7000 to home theatre use, but it's also certainly good with many types of music in my opinion.

Supposedly the TH900 is more detailed and has a more expansive presentation, but some have complained about the mids being even more recessed. I suppose we'll see soon enough!

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #108 of 18,761
Quote:
Fostex TH900 Electro-Dynamic Flagship Headphones
aka "Poison Ivy"

Were they actually called electro-dynamic at some point? I don't see that on the AudioCubes site anymore. Philips also called their low-end SBC 3150 'electrodynamic', presumably in an effort to make them sound cool and not boringly regular as they were. Kinda strange if Fostex saw the need to go that way with a flagship...

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #110 of 18,761
Thanks. It's still a substantial effective price drop from my wallet's perspective :) Can't wait to hear your impressions...

Sorry DaveBSC, I just saw this in another thread:

Quote:
I really like the overall balance of my SR-007Mk1, and I get fatigued easily by bright headphones...

You'd have to be careful about matching with the 4070 then - it can sound bright easily... took me a while to get the tonal balance right so it wasn't too harsh, and I've always liked the "monitor" sound. They're definitely different to the O2, but you did say you were looking for the opposite :) In my opinion, they compliment each other nicely.

Mar 2, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #111 of 18,761

Quote:

Were they actually called electro-dynamic at some point? I don't see that on the AudioCubes site anymore. Philips also called their low-end SBC 3150 'electrodynamic', presumably in an effort to make them sound cool and not boringly regular as they were. Kinda strange if Fostex saw the need to go that way with a flagship...

Electrodynamic is basically just the fancy-shmancy term for what we commonly call dynamic. It just distinguishes it from the orthodynamic headphones Fostex makes.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #116 of 18,761
Quote:
If they wanted to use a fancy name, they could have just made a planar magnetic headphone, which they could do more easily than anyone else in the world. 

They already call their planar magnetics "Regulated Phase Technology" which must nor be fancy enough or something

Quote:
What's the difference between orthodynamic and planar magnetic? What are examples of these?

As MuppetFace said, they're all basically different names for the same thing.  "Orthodynamic" was what Yamaha called theirs.  After shortening to "ortho" it kind of stuck because it was short and different enough to be distinctive.  "Planar magnetic" is more accurate but is longer to type, and often gets shortened to just "planar" which would also describe 'stats as well.

For a while I was calling them orthos because I wasn't really aware of the distinctions.  Then I started calling them Planar magnetics since it was more accurate but ended up shortening it to planar without realizing it so I think I'm going to go back to calling them orthos since I think its a better label.

Mar 2, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #117 of 18,761

Quote:
Also just to clarify, there wasn't a price drop. AudioCubes tends to charge more, and PriceJapan tends to charge less. Their prices are more in-line with what you'd pay in Japan versus an inflated importer cost. It's still $1,800 to $2,300.

Edit: 3000th post.

Congats on your 3000th. I hope you don't feel ancient now!  :wink:

Quote:

They're basically referring to the same thing. HiFiMan, Audez'e, Yamaha, early Fostex, etc.

Quote:
They already call their planar magnetics "Regulated Phase Technology" which must nor be fancy enough or something

As MuppetFace said, they're all basically different names for the same thing.  "Orthodynamic" was what Yamaha called theirs.  After shortening to "ortho" it kind of stuck because it was short and different enough to be distinctive.  "Planar magnetic" is more accurate but is longer to type, and often gets shortened to just "planar" which would also describe 'stats as well.

For a while I was calling them orthos because I wasn't really aware of the distinctions.  Then I started calling them Planar magnetics since it was more accurate but ended up shortening it to planar without realizing it so I think I'm going to go back to calling them orthos since I think its a better label.

Thanks for the explanation both. I was wondering what I missed along the way.

By the way, what is your opinion on the Yamahas versus the rest?
I somehow got the idea pushed into my head that the HP-1 is the one I still need to try after discarding all orthos since owning an LCD-2.
Also, am I right when thinking that Hifiman and Audeze aren't all that very different and that the Fostex orthos are all about bass?

Mar 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #120 of 18,761
Quote:
By the way, what is your opinion on the Yamahas versus the rest?
I somehow got the idea pushed into my head that the HP-1 is the one I still need to try after discarding all orthos since owning an LCD-2.
Also, am I right when thinking that Hifiman and Audeze aren't all that very different and that the Fostex orthos are all about bass?

The older ones usually need some work to get them sounding their best so unless you're buying one pre modded from a high level ortho ninja you'll have to put in some work tuning the damping.  Its not exactly hard, but it is time consuming.

Supposedly the Yamahas all have really nice midranges.  I've only heard one and it does fall into that catagory but but I can't speak about the rest of the lineup.

I haven't heard any other vintage orthos so I couldn't help you with them.  I don't think the LCD-2 is all that similar to the HE-5LE and HE-6 that I've heard.  There are a few broad and over arching overarching similarities but those aren't really any more similar than comparing two dynamics like the HD650 is to the K701 IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back