Fostex T50RP(LFF's Paradox) or Hifiman HE-400
Aug 11, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

I was wondering what his graphs meant, exactly. Are they referring to the sock you used to help attach the ear pads to the headphone or something else?

Yeah...the main difference between all the graphs are the pads. That's it.

Aug 11, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #33 of 51
Quote:
If I get your smelly old socks on my headphones I'm going to die.
wink.gif

Just you wait and see what I have in store for your special order....
biggrin.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #35 of 51
Thanks paradoxper, jerg, hekeli, TMRaven, planx & LFF for your replies.

HE-400 bass is the closest one to LCD-2 rev2 graphs (my reference in bass), so I prefer HE-400 over others in this area. But I've got a question about its mids. In graphs its shape is a little bit weird when I compare it to for example DT880 or K701. what's wrong with it? If it's a negative point, is it curable with velour pads?

Thanks.

Aug 12, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #36 of 51
Velour pads smooth out the mids to a large degree, they look more like the HE-500 mids in the fr graph with the velours on, according to Purrin's waterfall plots.  However there's no taking away that they're very warm headphones and the upper mids and treble aren't very up-front.  Normally people would attribute that to a recession, but the details are clearly present in the upper mids and lower treble, so it's not the case with the HE-400.

Aug 13, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #37 of 51
Quote:
Please note that I no longer use socks...lol...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/FostexT50RPDIYModifiedLFFnosocks.pdf

Out of curiosity, did you make that change for the purpose of elegance, sound quality, or both?  (I haven't been keeping up with anything around here for pretty much all of 2012.)  To my completely untrained eyes, the original version appears to have a smoother/less bumpy frequency response (and a cleaner square wave response seems to corroborate this), so I'm curious whether I'm reading the graphs wrong, or if I'm reading them right, and the newer version simply sounds better anyway, or it was otherwise worth a tradeoff.

Aug 13, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #38 of 51
Quote:
Velour pads smooth out the mids to a large degree, they look more like the HE-500 mids in the fr graph with the velours on, according to Purrin's waterfall plots.  However there's no taking away that they're very warm headphones and the upper mids and treble aren't very up-front.  Normally people would attribute that to a recession, but the details are clearly present in the upper mids and lower treble, so it's not the case with the HE-400.

Thanks.

Sep 4, 2012 at 10:41 PM Post #40 of 51
Oct 14, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #41 of 51
Quote:
@Wje

I listen to music in my own room, so I don't need isolation at all, but some guys here believe the Paradox (and even the Mad Dogs) are superior to everything under 500 (and even 1000).

I've played with plenty of Fostex mods, but I'll admit that the $500 - $1000 figure is only valid, if that is what the sound would mean to you.  If the sound is OK, then you will be happy and they will serve you well for many years to come.  Plus, you will have achieved a great sound at a bargain price.  However, I also own the HE-400s.  To me, at times, the sound is so pleasant with the majority of my music, I feel as though they should cost three times the amount they sell for.  Yes, I'm that serious.  Then again, this is just my feeling, observation and comparison to other headphones that I've had an opportunity to hear.  In the end, there will be no one "best" headphone that will please everyone.  We all have our own "best" headphone, but when we, as a community such as this were to lay our favorite headphones down, there might be 300 various headphones laying on the table, with no two alike.  It all comes down to what makes your ears happy.

Oct 14, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #42 of 51
I did this comparison on my video review, wish it didn't get buried. Anyway it comes down to preference, but I much prefer the 400 overall, I have the mad dogs with dog pads that dan personally fixed. I was listening to Opeth (blackwater park) yesterday on both, and while both do a good job, it's just more enjoyable/balanced/exciting/fun on the 400's, the dynamics are much better which shows on that album.

Dec 17, 2012 at 5:03 AM Post #44 of 51
I absolutely love my HE400s

Sometimes at work I crave a closed pair of headphones that are somewhere close in SQ and overall sound sig, or perhaps more neutral

I'm thinking a modded T50rp (Paradox or Mad dog) may fit the bill
I'll have to do some research to decide which

Do they isolate OK and leak little?
I'm not expecting portable style isolation like my DT1350 but some would be nice
Maybe a little better isolation than my Pro900s would be good, have tried using them on public transport etc, and its a nightmare! :)

Mar 7, 2013 at 12:02 AM Post #45 of 51
Hi, has as anyone run both these headphones through the latest digizoid 2.3 ? Does it allow them to reach into the sub-bass regions ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back