Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Aug 16, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #1,816 of 2,017
I have a stock 50 (unless adding Brainwavz hybrid pads to it for comfort makes it not be considered stock). I also have a ZMF Vibro MKii (purplewood). I do not like to think in terms of "inferior" but rather just "different." To actually answer your question I would need to take some time and then get back to you. I will, for now, say that I enjoy both. I will never get rid of either. Now you do have me curious enough to compare a little. I have not listened to the Vibros for awhile probably because they are heavier than most of my headphones. I knew that would be the case but I just had to have them! They are beautiful.
I would greatly appreciate a description of the differences, You may use whichever pads you prefer. Just let me know which amp you will be using.

Aug 16, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,817 of 2,017
Thanks a lot. Could you please define "warm"?

I am using 30 or more DSP's some more than once to add analog "color"
associated with vinyl, tape, and tubes or to amplify various areas of the frequency
response in order to bring out details hidden in certain recordings with non optimal or different
mastering than the one I would have done.

The T20 responds amazingly well to any changes no matter how small or how large or how "silly".

The only thing wrong that-may not really be the fault of the T20-is that some times with some recordings (and I do listen to many somewhat old YouTube music video clips) at high listening levels
there are some very short in duration (just the very tip of of the hits of high frequency percussion
instruments) sharp but moderate level clicks that may be clipping as they are less frequently
occurring on my friends LCD2's and especially when the 20 Watt class T amp is taken out of my
amplifying chain.

1) Is this Orthos clipping

2) If you could only add one more moded pair given my situation described above
would you add the Ori or the Alpha? Or would you try a Mid priced (<700 used at Headfi) Hifiman of Ether pair?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #1,818 of 2,017
Anyways, I can agree that the T50 MK3 is terrific. Its speedy, neutral, very tonally accurate and punchy to boot. I do have the ZMF Ori and have listened to both extensively, but I cannot say that one is inferior to the other

I looked at your profile page and read your detailed impressions. Very interesting and informative. Thanks for that. I am still trying to learn how to describe the differences that I hear among headphones. I do enjoy different sound signatures but ultimately it just comes down to me enjoying my music.

Aug 16, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #1,819 of 2,017
I looked at your profile page and read your detailed impressions. Very interesting and informative. Thanks for that. I am still trying to learn how to describe the differences that I hear among headphones. I do enjoy different sound signatures but ultimately it just comes down to me enjoying my music.

Very kind of you trying to give me the advise I am asking for.
and the fact that you are more of a "MusicPhile" than an "AudioPhile" most encouraging.

I now have the the T20 and my fully modified M1060
with my minor variations of Jerg's "Fuzzors" and Ccskipy's "Paper Towel and Pads"
Three successful professional musicians tell me my M1060
blows away the LCD2 at any level all the way to 120db.
However they also tell me my stock T20 clarity and focus
surpasses the M1060 like the Smeggy Thunderpants was
surpassing the early day Audeze and Hifiman per
a Headfonia Review of Smeggy's unit that Fostex loaned them but
refused to sell it to them as the were using it to conduct the research
that led to the mk3.

I totally agree with their opinion and find my mk3 better engaging and resolving than my moded M1060 at moderately high levels..
What I am trying to decide is if I should invest on a ZMF or Alpha Prime pair
for even better moderate level listening.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 2:20 AM Post #1,820 of 2,017
I totally agree with their opinion and find my mk3 better engaging and resolving than my moded M1060 at moderately high levels..
for even better moderate level listening.

I think it was the craftmanship that attracted me most to ZMF. The wood is just so beautiful and I already knew that I loved my Fostex t50rp mk3. I should mention that I listen at lower volume levels than many people on here. Whenever someone mentions what number they have their dap or amp set to, I usually find that my number is much lower if I have that same equipment. Of course that number changes for me depending on which headphone I am using. The Fostex drivers seem to require much more power than any of my other headphones even though their rated impedance is lower that my Beyerdynamics models or my Sennheiser HD 580s. I do not use the Fostex directly out of my daps

Apparently I have not lost too much hearing acuity over the years... yet...

Thanks for appreciating the fact that I am more of a "MusicPhile" than an "AudioPhile"

Because of that I really do not enjoy trying to A-B different headphones or other equipment. It ruins the enjoyment of the music. I can make general observations but that does not always result in me saying that one thing is better than another. I like my music to relax me or energize me depending on my need and I always want it to bring emotion.

I would also never presume to tell someone what they should like. We are all individuals with different ears and different goals.

Aug 17, 2017 at 3:59 AM Post #1,821 of 2,017
Very kind of you trying to give me the advise I am asking for.
and the fact that you are more of a "MusicPhile" than an "AudioPhile" most encouraging.

I now have the the T20 and my fully modified M1060
with my minor variations of Jerg's "Fuzzors" and Ccskipy's "Paper Towel and Pads"
Three successful professional musicians tell me my M1060
blows away the LCD2 at any level all the way to 120db.
However they also tell me my stock T20 clarity and focus
surpasses the M1060 like the Smeggy Thunderpants was
surpassing the early day Audeze and Hifiman per
a Headfonia Review of Smeggy's unit that Fostex loaned them but
refused to sell it to them as the were using it to conduct the research
that led to the mk3.

for even better moderate level listening.[/QUOT
I think it was the craftmanship that attracted me most to ZMF. The wood is just so beautiful and I already knew that I loved my Fostex t50rp mk3. I should mention that I listen at lower volume levels than many people on here. Whenever someone mentions what number they have their dap or amp set to, I usually find that my number is much lower if I have that same equipment. Of course that number changes for me depending on which headphone I am using. The Fostex drivers seem to require much more power than any of my other headphones even though their rated impedance is lower that my Beyerdynamics models or my Sennheiser HD 580s. I do not use the Fostex directly out of my daps

Apparently I have not lost too much hearing acuity over the years... yet...

Thanks for appreciating the fact that I am more of a "MusicPhile" than an "AudioPhile"

Because of that I really do not enjoy trying to A-B different headphones or other equipment. It ruins the enjoyment of the music. I can make general observations but that does not always result in me saying that one thing is better than another. I like my music to relax me or energize me depending on my need and I always want it to bring emotion.

I would also never presume to tell someone what they should like. We are all individuals with different ears and different goals.

I am also attracted by the beauty of wood and craftsmanship of ZMF.
So they are different but not significantly superior or inferior. I also
only care for significant variations that do not require A-B-ing to
tell the difference and our ears are self adjusting to derive same
amount of pleasure from not fundamentally different phones.
I was talking with Zack and he told me that I would probably
prefer the Blackwood Purple hearts over the Ori's. I believe these
are quite similar to your Purple Vibro's. So I am going to
give them a try.

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #1,822 of 2,017
Hello there, new to this thread.
I started off buying T50 MK3 mods such as the Alpha Prime and then eventually "downgraded" to a T50 MK2 mod with the Mod House Audio Argon.
I'm curious as to the potential of modding a T50 MK3 headphone.
I honestly don't know what type of sound signature I'd want to achieve with mods, but experimenting, listening, re-tinkering, etc., sounds like a fun investment.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Aug 17, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,823 of 2,017
I am also attracted by the beauty of wood and craftsmanship of ZMF.
So they are different but not significantly superior or inferior. I also
only care for significant variations that do not require A-B-ing to
tell the difference and our ears are self adjusting to derive same
amount of pleasure from not fundamentally different phones.
I was talking with Zack and he told me that I would probably
prefer the Blackwood Purple hearts over the Ori's. I believe these
are quite similar to your Purple Vibro's. So I am going to
give them a try.

I am sure you will be happy. Now you have me wanting to listen to my ZMF tonight with my tube amp. I think I have too many headphones. Lately I have been using very efficient ones straight out of my daps.

Oct 13, 2017 at 6:44 AM Post #1,825 of 2,017
Despite recently trying out more expensive headphones(he400i and isine10) I find myself coming back to the tp50rp. It just sounds so full with the Cayin c5 amp. I also tried the shure pads but didnt like the change in sound.

Oct 13, 2017 at 2:15 PM Post #1,826 of 2,017
Despite recently trying out more expensive headphones(he400i and isine10) I find myself coming back to the tp50rp. It just sounds so full with the Cayin c5 amp. I also tried the shure pads but didnt like the change in sound.

I completely agree. The MK III is an original engineering marvel design that trumps "imitator"
or "impersonators" as I call them and drove most them out of this business of modding the MK II.

Hiroaki did a fine job and matched the performance of Smeggy's Thunderpants.

Headfonia even though they are Hifiman and Audeze dealers have written the following review
titled STANDING OVATION stating the superiority of the Thunderpants.

https://www.headfonia.com/standing-ovation-smeggys-thunderpants/

I own Thunderpants, ZMF Blackwoods, LCD2's, Monoprice M1060 and Hifiman He-6
and I just purchased Ether C Flow and Hifiman Edition X V2.
(I will right my impressions when the new toy syndrome period is over).

The MK III is just as good if not better than the Thunderpants, clearly not an 8-65k Hz super resolving marvel
but definitely most musical for most people including me most of the time for most music genres.
It does outperform Focal Elear, Denon 5000, Fostex TH-900 and Senn 800S, M1060 and LCD2,
in the studio and in musicality, on par with ZMF Blackwood.

It has historically been designed as a studio monitoring headphone. It was used by performing artists when recording
because being so musical would lift them up and enhance their performance.

It is only my opinion. But I am a pro with 40 years experience own all the phones above
and any "Wall of fame" that does not have the MK III is a "Wall of Shame"

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #1,827 of 2,017
The mk3 certainly is underrated.

Its disheartening when modded mk2 and mk3 variants are occasionally disregarded because they use a "$50 driver".

ZMF headphones comes to mind in particular as a hallmark of its potential.

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:10 PM Post #1,828 of 2,017
The mk3 certainly is underrated.

Its disheartening when modded mk2 and mk3 variants are occasionally disregarded because they use a "$50 driver".

ZMF headphones comes to mind in particular as a hallmark of its potential.

Only the Ori can play a bit better than the stock MKIII
drivers are 20$ a pair and there is a dealer everywhere that can sell you all the parts.

The price hikes and the recent "light" versions are just marketing ploys for the "audiophiles" ( "audiophools" is a better term
because they think performance is price related)
Pros do not put up with this BS. (Focal Utopia, Audeze LCD4, Hifiman Susvara etc...).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #1,829 of 2,017
Only the Ori can play a bit better than the stock MKIII
drivers are 20$ a pair and there is a dealer everywhere that can sell you all the parts.

The price hikes and the recent "light" versions are just marketing ploys for the "audiophiles" ( "audiophools" is a better term
because they think performance is price related)
Pros do not put up with this BS. (Utopia, LCD4, Hifiman 1000 etc...).

I'm working on reading through this thread so forgive me for a possibly stupid question: Does ZMF or other custom version of the t50rp change anything with the drivers themselves? If I were to swap out stock drivers with some out of ZMF Blackwoods would there be any sonic differences? I'm wondering If I can start stock and work my way up slowly to a certain point. Thanks!

Oct 15, 2017 at 6:54 AM Post #1,830 of 2,017

Users who are viewing this thread

Back