1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sopp, Apr 15, 2015.
First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
Next

Last
  1. bangengeman
    You mentioned that you have the Krell clone amp. How's it pairing so far with your T50MK3s so far? And how is it doing in general?

2. drteming

The Krell clone (Kevin Gilmore's) is great with planars. It's at its best when driving a relatively low impedance, high current load, just the ticket for the T50RP. The power at the low end is absolutely divine.

The Krell also handle high impedance dynamics well. No problems with my DT990 600 ohm and the HD 6xx.

bangengeman likes this.
  3. drteming
    The cable I made from the stock long cable has an impedance of 1.7 ohm for each channel, which probably does not matter, but it gnaws at my inner nerd.  I made a braided cable from 22 AWG silver plated copper wires which had an impedance that was unmeasurable with my multimeter.  Much happier.  Still waiting for my Mogami's to get here.

components.jpg
    finished.jpg

4. paulmazz
    So, I've been trying to find a way to reduce the mid bass hump and increase the sub bass. 
    To my understanding, covering the rear vents and internal damping will reduce mid bass.
    Does closing the ear side vents increase the sub bass? 
    Are there any other suggestions to get rid of this hump? I'm thinking this is reason for the vocal sounding recessed.

5. musicfan145

I've been wondering the same thing--how to decrease mid/upper bass without decreasing sub-bass. Closing up the rear vents seems to cut sub-bass as much or more than it cuts the upper bass. I'm wondering about the impact of increased/decreasing stuffing or removing/adding material directly on the back of the driver.

6. marcan
    I had exactly the same issue. For me decrease the outer vents tame the bass a bit higher in frequency than the inner vents. So you have to find a balance between both. It's not perfect but I had a good result.

musicfan145 likes this.
  7. rendyG
    Yea, marcan is right. Usually known mods have small hole (like 3mm) in one of four external vents, other three closed completely.
    Then you need to tape some of the 8 baffle vents, I think I had 4 closed and was satisfied for a while, until I dived into much more interesting iside modding :)

8. iceppak
    Do you think it matters what kind of tape material wise you use? Duct tape? Medical tape?

9. caly

Those earpads are sort of expensive, would you say they're worth it? Just a bit leery about earpads after trying the Brainwavz hybrid pads on mine.

10. SpiderNhan
    The 840 pads, $12 I think, work great on mine. Just took a bit of work to peel all that foam off the back of the fabric.

11. SomeTechNoob
    I have the 840 pads on mine since I didn't want to spend so much on 1540 or 1840 pads.  Comfort is good enough and they didn't change the stock sound much for me.

12. frigginloony
    They were worth it to me.  But then again, it's all a matter of whats comfortable and provides good SQ vs cost for YOU.  For me it was one and done. No stress, no pad rolling, no fretting.

13. Lohb

The older non memory foam Brainwavz pads were better.
    Just right pad depth to keep ears off planars and not suck out the mids.

14. SomeTechNoob
    I put brainwavz pleathers on mine and they became a tinny mess, so I had to opt for the 840s.

15. Myk28
    What paint brand did you use? Any tips/tutorial to follow to get these results? I want to do this black-out paint job on mine as well. Looks very cool.

First

Back
106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115
117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126
Next

Last