Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Feb 1, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #1,727 of 2,017
You mentioned that you have the Krell clone amp. How's it pairing so far with your T50MK3s so far? And how is it doing in general?

The Krell clone (Kevin Gilmore's) is great with planars. It's at its best when driving a relatively low impedance, high current load, just the ticket for the T50RP. The power at the low end is absolutely divine.

The Krell also handle high impedance dynamics well. No problems with my DT990 600 ohm and the HD 6xx.

Feb 1, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #1,728 of 2,017
The cable I made from the stock long cable has an impedance of 1.7 ohm for each channel, which probably does not matter, but it gnaws at my inner nerd.  I made a braided cable from 22 AWG silver plated copper wires which had an impedance that was unmeasurable with my multimeter.  Much happier.  Still waiting for my Mogami's to get here.

Feb 3, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #1,729 of 2,017
So, I've been trying to find a way to reduce the mid bass hump and increase the sub bass. 
To my understanding, covering the rear vents and internal damping will reduce mid bass.
Does closing the ear side vents increase the sub bass? 
Are there any other suggestions to get rid of this hump? I'm thinking this is reason for the vocal sounding recessed.

Feb 4, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #1,730 of 2,017
So, I've been trying to find a way to reduce the mid bass hump and increase the sub bass. 
To my understanding, covering the rear vents and internal damping will reduce mid bass.
Does closing the ear side vents increase the sub bass? 
Are there any other suggestions to get rid of this hump? I'm thinking this is reason for the vocal sounding recessed.

I've been wondering the same thing--how to decrease mid/upper bass without decreasing sub-bass. Closing up the rear vents seems to cut sub-bass as much or more than it cuts the upper bass. I'm wondering about the impact of increased/decreasing stuffing or removing/adding material directly on the back of the driver.

Feb 7, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #1,732 of 2,017
Yea, marcan is right. Usually known mods have small hole (like 3mm) in one of four external vents, other three closed completely.
Then you need to tape some of the 8 baffle vents, I think I had 4 closed and was satisfied for a while, until I dived into much more interesting iside modding :)

Feb 10, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #1,734 of 2,017
Originally Posted by frigginloony /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have these:  Shure HPAEC1540 Replacement Alcantara Ear Pads for SRH1540 Headphones   this is the link on Amazon

Well rounded sound signature slightly better highs and very comfy.

Those earpads are sort of expensive, would you say they're worth it? Just a bit leery about earpads after trying the Brainwavz hybrid pads on mine.

Feb 10, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #1,735 of 2,017
Those earpads are sort of expensive, would you say they're worth it? Just a bit leery about earpads after trying the Brainwavz hybrid pads on mine.

The 840 pads, $12 I think, work great on mine. Just took a bit of work to peel all that foam off the back of the fabric.

Feb 10, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #1,736 of 2,017
I have the 840 pads on mine since I didn't want to spend so much on 1540 or 1840 pads.  Comfort is good enough and they didn't change the stock sound much for me.

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #1,737 of 2,017

They were worth it to me.  But then again, it's all a matter of whats comfortable and provides good SQ vs cost for YOU.  For me it was one and done. No stress, no pad rolling, no fretting.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:42 AM Post #1,738 of 2,017

The older non memory foam Brainwavz pads were better.
Just right pad depth to keep ears off planars and not suck out the mids.

Feb 11, 2017 at 4:47 AM Post #1,739 of 2,017
I put brainwavz pleathers on mine and they became a tinny mess, so I had to opt for the 840s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back