1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by sopp, Apr 15, 2015.
First

Back
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124
Next

Last
  1. kimikaze
    Should not, but it could change the way to achieve more bass impact. Maybe will be required different mod(technique) to achieve bass impact.

UprightMan likes this.
  2. axtran

MK3 has the upgraded stock baffle. Depends on what you want to do. If your mods are pads and dampening, the MK3 will work. If you're looking to replace all types of components with custom cups and all of that stuff on top of that, the MK2 is better because the drivers are the same starting point.

I also like the comfort of the MK3 headband more, so it's an easy choice for me.

UprightMan likes this.
  3. UprightMan
    I plan to eventually do own 3d printed cups (friend has access to bog oak!) so will stick with MK2 then - thanks for help!  (I also got xmf headband so that's sorted) :)

4. marcan
    Actually the mk3 will require less mod to sound good.
    The mk3 is pretty good out of the box, it only lakes a bit of bass for my taste. The mod to increase the bass on the mk3 is pretty straight forward, you just have to play with the inner and outer vents.
    I wouldn't change the pads on the mk3, my experience was a sonic drawback from that.
    For the confort, just get something for the headband.

UprightMan likes this.
  5. skingg
    I'm planning to get the T50rp mk3 soon. Can anyone suggest which brand of ear pads are ideal for more (quantity) lower end bass while still maintaining the signature sound of the stock pads? I don't wish to mod so just a swap of ear pads for me.

6. axtran

The leather options will decrease bass because they're all going to be too thick.

I recommend getting Shure 1540's. You'll love them.

7. skingg
    I assume you meant for both the comfort and low end bass the 1540 pads go well with these headphones am I right?

8. axtran

Yep. My closest to stock pair for now use them and they are a great pairing. I'm buying a used 40 MK3 hopefully later today and I'll report back if the HM5 pads on it are good!

skingg likes this.
  9. Jacobh

I've found these generic M50x replacement pads provide slightly more isolation and bass, but don't significantly alter the sound signature: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIM2EE8

skingg likes this.
  10. skingg
    I dunno if I will be able to find these (Bluecell) in Tokyo but I'll pick them up together with the 1540s if I do.

11. Jacobh

I think any generic (and thin) m50x pleather pad would be about the same.

12. axtran
    Will PM you!

skingg likes this.
  13. SomeTechNoob
    I picked up the Shure 840 pads and they've increased comfort and a little bit of bass.  Still sounds similar to stock.  I was reading the 1840 and 1540 Shure pad impressions and kept coming across people who said that the velours caused a loss of bass and resulted in the headphones sounding very open.

Just something to consider.

14. axtran
    Hmm, I'd say the 1540 Alcantara managed to keep the bass for me (note that I'm using them on my Mad Dog, not really a MK3). There's a definite drop-off with the MrSpeakers Alpha Pads though.

15. marcan
    For me every pads change on the mk3 was a sonic drawback.

First

Back
104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113
115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124
Next

Last