Fostex new RP headphones - T50RPmk3, T40RPmk3 and T20RPmk3
Jan 27, 2017 at 8:50 AM Post #1,696 of 2,017
  I DO plan to do a fully mod - but the key thing I want is bass impact (a lot of it!).  Does the change in baffle and pad attachement from MK2 to MK3 make this a concern to me?

Thanks!!!!!

Should not, but it could change the way to achieve more bass impact. Maybe will be required different mod(technique) to achieve bass impact.

Jan 27, 2017 at 8:57 AM Post #1,697 of 2,017
will do that - does it matter if I have MK2 or should I get MK3 is question still :)  Thanks!!

MK3 has the upgraded stock baffle. Depends on what you want to do. If your mods are pads and dampening, the MK3 will work. If you're looking to replace all types of components with custom cups and all of that stuff on top of that, the MK2 is better because the drivers are the same starting point.

I also like the comfort of the MK3 headband more, so it's an easy choice for me.

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,698 of 2,017
MK3 has the upgraded stock baffle. Depends on what you want to do. If your mods are pads and dampening, the MK3 will work. If you're looking to replace all types of components with custom cups and all of that stuff on top of that, the MK2 is better because the drivers are the same starting point.

I also like the comfort of the MK3 headband more, so it's an easy choice for me.

I plan to eventually do own 3d printed cups (friend has access to bog oak!) so will stick with MK2 then - thanks for help!  (I also got xmf headband so that's sorted) :)

Jan 27, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #1,699 of 2,017
Actually the mk3 will require less mod to sound good.
The mk3 is pretty good out of the box, it only lakes a bit of bass for my taste. The mod to increase the bass on the mk3 is pretty straight forward, you just have to play with the inner and outer vents.
I wouldn't change the pads on the mk3, my experience was a sonic drawback from that.
For the confort, just get something for the headband.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,700 of 2,017
I'm planning to get the T50rp mk3 soon. Can anyone suggest which brand of ear pads are ideal for more (quantity) lower end bass while still maintaining the signature sound of the stock pads? I don't wish to mod so just a swap of ear pads for me.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:30 PM Post #1,701 of 2,017
I'm planning to get the T50rp mk3 soon. Can anyone suggest which brand of ear pads are ideal for more (quantity) lower end bass while still maintaining the signature sound of the stock pads? I don't wish to mod so just a swap of ear pads for me.

The leather options will decrease bass because they're all going to be too thick.

I recommend getting Shure 1540's. You'll love them.

Jan 28, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #1,702 of 2,017
The leather options will decrease bass because they're all going to be too thick.

I recommend getting Shure 1540's. You'll love them.

I assume you meant for both the comfort and low end bass the 1540 pads go well with these headphones am I right?

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #1,704 of 2,017

I've found these generic M50x replacement pads provide slightly more isolation and bass, but don't significantly alter the sound signature: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIM2EE8

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #1,705 of 2,017

I've found these generic M50x replacement pads provide slightly more isolation and bass, but don't significantly alter the sound signature: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MIM2EE8

I dunno if I will be able to find these (Bluecell) in Tokyo but I'll pick them up together with the 1540s if I do.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #1,708 of 2,017
I picked up the Shure 840 pads and they've increased comfort and a little bit of bass.  Still sounds similar to stock.  I was reading the 1840 and 1540 Shure pad impressions and kept coming across people who said that the velours caused a loss of bass and resulted in the headphones sounding very open.

Just something to consider.

Jan 28, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #1,709 of 2,017
  I picked up the Shure 840 pads and they've increased comfort and a little bit of bass.  Still sounds similar to stock.  I was reading the 1840 and 1540 Shure pad impressions and kept coming across people who said that the velours caused a loss of bass and resulted in the headphones sounding very open.

Just something to consider.

Hmm, I'd say the 1540 Alcantara managed to keep the bass for me (note that I'm using them on my Mad Dog, not really a MK3). There's a definite drop-off with the MrSpeakers Alpha Pads though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back