Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Jul 10, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #92 of 479
The HP-A3 is a REALLY good DAC/amp combo for the money. If the A8 is anything like it's little brother, it might be a GREAT sounding DAC/amp combo.

I prefer the HP-A3 standalone over the NFB-3.1/M-stage combo with my HE-500 (more bass, better definition but more forward which makes it sound a bit more left-right than front-back).

Jul 10, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #93 of 479
Jul 10, 2012 at 4:00 AM Post #94 of 479
Quote:
The HP-A3 is a REALLY good DAC/amp combo for the money. If the A8 is anything like it's little brother, it might be a GREAT sounding DAC/amp combo.

I prefer the HP-A3 standalone over the NFB-3.1/M-stage combo with my HE-500 (more bass, better definition but more forward which makes it sound a bit more left-right than front-back).

The A8 is already great by itself that I still have not pair it it with my Woo WA2 yet! As for my recent listening experience, the  Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold that is one(or the only one) could be superior than (I like a little better) the A8. 

Jul 14, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #96 of 479
The A8 is already great by itself that I still have not pair it it with my Woo WA2 yet! As for my recent listening experience, the  Antelope Audio Zodiac Gold that is one(or the only one) could be superior than (I like a little better) the A8. 

I am very interested in this amp, can u tell us more about how it sound?

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:27 AM Post #97 of 479
Quote:
I am very interested in this amp, can u tell us more about how it sound?

After few days of listening to the A8, It is very detailed and transparent DAC/Amp (especially set the Amp Gain to 0.00). The bass is not super aggressive but just right! The highs are extended and clean. The soundstage is average...not small but not huge! Overall, It sounds very balanced to my ears too. 

PS. It is still very new and not burn-in yet!

Jul 14, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #98 of 479
After few days of listening to the A8, It is very detailed and transparent DAC/Amp (especially set the Amp Gain to 0.00). The bass is not super aggressive but just right! The highs are extended and clean. The soundstage is average...not small but not huge! Overall, It sounds very balanced to my ears too. 

How is the DAC performance canfly?

Jul 14, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #99 of 479
Overall,  it sounds very neutral, very detailed and transparent. I like the up sampling feature if it. It sounds better than if it is up sampling by the Decibel (music player).
I thing that I didn't happy about is to play back via SD card. I still could not play the WAV files. It could sometimes play back the dsf files via SD cards but sometimes it could not. I think it could be some kind of bugs or so.... but not sure! On  the fostex website, it said it can play back the DSF files via USB very soon. I guess the updated firmware will be releasing soon! Hope it will fix the bugs too!

Jul 15, 2012 at 12:15 AM Post #100 of 479

Thanks canfly! I sure am more interested now than ever.

Jul 21, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #101 of 479
After more burn-in, the bass is more powerful!

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #103 of 479
After tested HP-A8 for two days, I think this combo box is really a great stuff!

My initial impression so far:
- HP-A8 indeed a Fostex product, as they have the same sound signature (from HP-A3 and HP-P1).
- HP-A8 sounds so linear to my ears, but they don't sound cold, harsh, or boring. They just sound smooth, relax, slightly on warm side with very spacious soundstage.
- Compare to Lavry DAC10 as combo box (DAC+Amp), HP-A8 easily eat Lavry in term soundstage image (more spacious and more accurate), more detail, and cleaner sound while still maintain the right "warm" tonality.
- Compare to Eximus DP1, I think both of them has very great technicalities aspect, but has different presentation. DP1 has more lively sound, more treble energy and bass impact, while HP-A8 always sound smooth and relax. 
- Amp section wise, Eximus DP1 indeed is more powerful. I think Fostex's amp is more suitable for easy to drive cans, so no ortho cans to plug here.
- When I tried with HD800, using some mainstream songs, I have volume around -15db, more than that will sound uncomfortable to me. Note that I am a low listening listener.
- When my friend plug his HD650 with classical recording, he easily can reach the max volume without feel too loud.

*Headphone that I used to test: Sennheiser HD800, ATH AD1000PRM, ATH W1000X

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #104 of 479
Hi @TheMiddleSky,

Cheers for your thoughts. I actually wrote a review on the HP-A8 but I guess not many ppl have taken notice of it or don't have much interest in it :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/628736/initial-impressions-of-the-fostex-hp-a8-dac-amp

As you'll read I mostly echo your findings but you've padded out some points way more than me in my review. So those are good points you've made. I particularly agree with you about the DP1 and it has been one of my aspiring DAC/Amps to own. You're quite diplomatic with your words about the HP-A8 comparatively as the words I would have used esp w.r.t. the DP1 is the HP-A8 is "slow" (or my diplomatic word would be "mellow").

I find the HP-A8 good for jazz and classical, but for pop, something more vibrant would be more suitable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back