Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Feb 10, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #61 of 479
Since the Yammy has been mentioned here and I didn't want to wake up really ancient threads, a little off-topic question since I have a little problem.
Is there any way to disable speaker output from the Yammy when plugging in phones? It doesn't do so automatically.
Apart from pulling out the speaker cables that is ...  :p
I just scared the hell out of my wife, or well, Robert Plant and Jimmy Page did.  =)

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:44 PM Post #62 of 479

Quote:

Personally, I think it's an exercise in futility to try and universally quantify the way something sounds with a price tag. Is the LCD-3 twice as good sounding as an LCD-2? Is the SR-009 worth three times the price of a used SR-007? Something sounds the way it sounds regardless of price, and it's up to the individual to decide if it's worth it.

And there's more to it than sound, which I'm sure doesn't sit well with more objectivist head-fiers. The TH900 is a piece of import-exclusive exotica, made from the same wood used in the R10 and covered in the excretions of poison ivy. It's something that either speaks to your soul, something you have to possess... or it's not.

: )

That's totally true. In a way I surely don't see most of my equipment worth the price, but the worth shows up when I get the enjoyment from the music I'm listening to. = )

Well, at least it needs to sound considerably better than ATH-W3000ANV to get me interested. And if so, I'm sure you'll tell about it when you have TH900.

Feb 12, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #63 of 479
Just placed my order.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3130

I thought about waiting until PriceJapan listed it, since they're usually cheaper, but I worked something out with AudioCubes since I was the first person to place an order for it. : )

Feb 12, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #65 of 479

Just placed my order.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=3130

I thought about waiting until PriceJapan listed it, since they're usually cheaper, but I worked something out with AudioCubes since I was the first person to place an order for it. : )

As I asked earlier, could you donate me few thousands? ;D In any case, I hope they're good. The prices are sure getting out of anyone's hands... Ultrasone's are cheap today.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #70 of 479
The TH900 is a pretty HP to me, and seems not sounding bad, but it's indeed expensive
Hope it has a good sound isolation
I may have a try later when there's a demo in here or someone can gimme a try
However I think I would prefer to upgrade to a decent source before reaching another HP

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #71 of 479

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/595683/fostex-th900-impressions-discussion-thread#post_8141969

For discussion of the TH900.

Just got word from AudioCubes that the lead time for its shipment will be up to 40 days sadly. So the waiting begins...

40 days sounds like an awfull long wait.
Did you have to pay them in full right away MuppetFace or did they accept and advance for such a long wait?
I'm in doubt if should order one right away as well. If I do want one I'd still love to hear it this year ...
Also, were thay hard to bargain with?  :wink:

I have high hopes for these. I'd love them to be an R10 killer so I can get that one out of my mind since I don't want to pay the price the R10 goes for.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #72 of 479
Quote:
Sarcasm is a bit of a hard word for a little joke, no?

But you're right, it would have been more correct to say "Ultrasones should be cheaper".
And in case of the ED10 probably a lot cheaper.

One example of a thread.
The review.
And sarcasm.

I was just asking. If you hold the view that Ultrasones are overpriced, that is fair enough. 

I think that the Edition 10 has caused some general, even price-independent, dissatisfaction.  :)

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:09 AM Post #73 of 479
Indeed, the ED10 doesn't seem to have been their finest hour.

I had the chance to audition a pair of ED8 about a month ago.
I think the general view on the ED8 is that it's their best and also most expensive phone, before the ED10 of course, apart from a minority of people strongly preferring the ED9. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I must say I didn't like them all that much but I plan to do with them as I did with Grado: buy a modestly priced pair here on HF so I can at least give them a fair chance and listen to them for a few months with my own amps. If I like them that would be great. If I don't I can sell them again without losing much and then I'd proably forget about the brand as a whole, like I did with Grado.
I missed out on a $800 pair of ED8 a few weeks ago sadly.

For those who love Grado, don't be offended but it's just not my cup of tea. Tastes differ, be it for sound, color or food.
Or as the French proverb says: "Les gouts et les couleurs, on ne discute pas".

Feb 15, 2012 at 9:29 PM Post #74 of 479
Quote:
I have high hopes for these. I'd love them to be an R10 killer so I can get that one out of my mind since I don't want to pay the price the R10 goes for.

That would be nice. Besides the price issue the R10 can't be repaired so double whammy
very_evil_smiley.gif

Quote:
Indeed, the ED10 doesn't seem to have been their finest hour.

I had the chance to audition a pair of ED8 about a month ago.
I think the general view on the ED8 is that it's their best and also most expensive phone, before the ED10 of course, apart from a minority of people strongly preferring the ED9. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.
I must say I didn't like them all that much but I plan to do with them as I did with Grado: buy a modestly priced pair here on HF so I can at least give them a fair chance and listen to them for a few months with my own amps. If I like them that would be great. If I don't I can sell them again without losing much and then I'd proably forget about the brand as a whole, like I did with Grado.
I missed out on a $800 pair of ED8 a few weeks ago sadly.

For those who love Grado, don't be offended but it's just not my cup of tea. Tastes differ, be it for sound, color or food.
Or as the French proverb says: "Les gouts et les couleurs, on ne discute pas".

For myself the Ed8 is not only the best Ultrasone that I've heard but also the best closed headphone period.

Feb 16, 2012 at 5:04 AM Post #75 of 479

Quote:

Sounds about right, and I am in that minority who prefers the Edition 9. The Signature Pro may very well be Ultrasone's most even-tempered headphone now though: it finds a happy median between the Edition 8 and 9, with an overall sound profile akin to the Edition 8, but with a more well behaved top end less prone to sibilance and glare.

While I'd consider the R10, W3000ANV, W11R, and LA-D7000 to be better closed headphones, the Signature Pro may very well be the best truly portable headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back