Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Dec 22, 2011 at 2:39 AM Post #31 of 479

Quote:
Indeed. If I may ask, are you planning to get the TH900 MuppetFace?

If it weren't so expensive, I'd be all over it. As it is I'm considering it. Those who have listened to it tend to like it, but feel it's very overpriced.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #34 of 479

Quote:
$2k I heard? Not cheap indeed, but what if it were the next R10?
I'm considering it as well but I think it might be a good idea to wait for some reviews.

From the early impressions, it's nice, but no R10. But yes... definitely wise to wait for some more ears to listen.

Quote:
Any idea what a second hand but BNIB Yammy is worth btw?

Around $1100ish seems fair from what you describe.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #35 of 479
I think the guy with the Yamamoto should at least open the box and listen to it to compare it to his Lyr.

That is a great sounding amp.  A used HA-02 should go for about 1000$ and these should be considered collectibles in my opinion.

I told my wife that I was thinking about selling my last one (not really) and she had a fit.  She is not into headphones but is into collecting items she considers collectible.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:15 AM Post #36 of 479
His price is 60€ more than what I found on the Yamamoto site (88000 JPY), don't know if that's a current price though and I can't seem to find a way to order from their site, the shop page only has tubes and accessories.
Is the Yammy still available new and where does one shop for it. I would like to compare prices before I agree to buy it. Of course, he has paid import etc... but I will have to as well.

Quote:
I think the guy with the Yamamoto should at least open the box and listen to it to compare it to his Lyr.

That is a great sounding amp.  A used HA-02 should go for about 1000$ and these should be considered collectibles in my opinion.

I told my wife that I was thinking about selling my last one (not really) and she had a fit.  She is not into headphones but is into collecting items she considers collectible.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:19 AM Post #37 of 479

Quote:
His price is 60€ more than what I found on the Yamamoto site (88000 JPY), don't know if that's a current price though and I can't seem to find a way to order from their site, the shop page only has tubes and accessories.
Is the Yammy still available new and where does one shop for it. I would like to compare prices before I agree to buy it. Of course, he has paid import etc... but I will have to as well.

You have to e-mail Yammy and ask for what you want.

Dec 22, 2011 at 3:56 AM Post #39 of 479

Quote:

If it weren't so expensive, I'd be all over it. As it is I'm considering it. Those who have listened to it tend to like it, but feel it's very overpriced.

Looking over your collection, I wouldn't be surprised to see it added onto the list by next year's end
normal_smile%20.gif

I wish this was the next R10. The Dx000 series has a fun sound and shows a lot of promise, I'd love to hear a perfected version of them with fully bio-cellulose drivers instead of the microfiber composite.

Dec 22, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #41 of 479

Quote:
Quote:
I really don't know the Fostex brand. Any good?
No info for Europe yet, usually we're a few months behind.

Fostex is one of the most respected names in pro audio, and has been making audio gear used in recording studies for decades now. They were one of the pioneers of orthodynamic technology back before it was popular, and now that it's popular they seem to be focusing on other areas oddly enough. Their amp / DAC combos are generally well regarded by those who have tried them, but you don't hear much about them because aside from a few lower-end models they aren't available outside of Japan.

Let's not forget they are the largest(?) speaker and transducer company in the world, with over 20,000 employees in over 9 countries, they make headphones for various companies including the entire Denon D2000, D5000, D7000 line, and they have the most popular and most sold earphone in the world.

"iPod earbuds are the iconic[size=x-small][1][/size][size=x-small][2][/size] white earphones that ship with all music players designed and marketed by Apple Inc. These earphones are manufactured solely by the Fostex corporation of Japan."

Their workshop in Japan is very quiet, very neat and tidy, it feels like it's in the country-side, they announced the HP-A3 and HP-A7 years ago, they really weren't in a rush to release them huh!
More recently, they've started the Kotori line within Japan, such as the Kotori 201 which is an improvement on their Denon D1001.

Quote:
Yes, though it seems that they're testing the waters and slowly creeping up the pricing ladder with each new product. I'm only saying that there is a greater expectation of balanced outs once you get to the 1400$ level.

The SD card feature looks interesting, however I fear anyone anal enough to convert then copy DSF & WAV files onto a tiny little card. I guess it's more of a luxury feature. After all, who listens to mp3s anymore?
rolleyes.gif

They're not testing the waters, they've had the TH900 prototype for years already, they're not even interested in the waters haha.

As for the SD card, you know you have to use Jplay as your media player in Kernel Streaming with a $400 silver USB cable and a $900 USB->S/pdif converter to ensure PC audio is even remotely near correct and jitter-free, yes?

Not to mention, you should spend at least $2500 on an SACD player if you take your so called audio passion seriously.

As an alternative, you could - perchance - back-up your SACD collection onto SD cards, and skip that process, if you wish. :wink:

Dec 22, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #44 of 479
Ugh, bad retro styling. Looks like a budget Pioneer 5.1 receiver.

Dec 22, 2011 at 2:21 PM Post #45 of 479
Sorry, I missed the "retro"-part. What are you writing about? :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back