Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Mar 2, 2017 at 7:19 AM Post #466 of 479
I have the hp-a8 and the gain is 20, it state's 24 level gain on the mk2 but the amp section seems the same.

I'm wondering if anyone tried this before?: to flash mk2 firmware on A8/A8C.
If it works, then no need anymore to buy A8 mk2..
biggrin.gif

That could be interesting :)

My A8C is still under warranty but I'm very hesitating to try this, since I use it everyday.

Apr 20, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #472 of 479
Just want to say how great and underrated this DAC is!

I recently had a PS Audio Directstream and a Borderpatrol Dac SE in house to compare. IMO the Fostex sounded clearly better than the BP and was right on par with the Directstream (Redcloud) in nearly every area. The Fostex is a mellow-ish presentation and the DS was a little too laid back for my musical taste.

The Fostex can get out of the way or punch you in the gut when the recording calls for it, it is really a nice balance. The Fostex gave away NOTHING to the DS in openness, resolution, extension, clarity, you name it.

What an absolute bargain this baby is, I'm done looking at Dacs for a while.

System:

Roon
SOTM SMS-200
Perla Audio Signature 50
Focal Sopra No. 2

Apr 20, 2018 at 10:44 PM Post #473 of 479
Just want to say how great and underrated this DAC is!

I recently had a PS Audio Directstream and a Borderpatrol Dac SE in house to compare. IMO the Fostex sounded clearly better than the BP and was right on par with the Directstream (Redcloud) in nearly every area. The Fostex is a mellow-ish presentation and the DS was a little too laid back for my musical taste.

The Fostex can get out of the way or punch you in the gut when the recording calls for it, it is really a nice balance. The Fostex gave away NOTHING to the DS in openness, resolution, extension, clarity, you name it.

What an absolute bargain this baby is, I'm done looking at Dacs for a while.

System:

Roon
SOTM SMS-200
Perla Audio Signature 50
Focal Sopra No. 2
wow ,, if the DAC inside the HPA8 is equivalent to PS Audio Directstream (i never heard it but it is a 6000$ streamer)
then you will be amazed with the Hugo2 which is way better then the internal DAC.

Apr 20, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #474 of 479
wow ,, if the DAC inside the HPA8 is equivalent to PS Audio Directstream (i never heard it but it is a 6000$ streamer)
then you will be amazed with the Hugo2 which is way better then the internal DAC.

I've heard the Hugo 2, sounded kind of on the dry and clinical side to me, and that doesn't work well with Focal. Dacs are pretty overrated IMO. I'd be willing to bet the jump in sound quality is greater going from a PC source to an SOTM renderer than the Fostex to nearly any DAC.

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #475 of 479
on the MK2 version I had a quick look at one of the review, and looking at the PCB it seems the ability to switch the voltage internally is gone, anyone can confirm that? AS I plan to go to Japan in the coming months, and looking at the price there, it's very tempting...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back