Fostex HP-A8 DAC/Amp and other Fostex gear
Sep 13, 2016 at 1:16 AM Post #451 of 479
hello guys, i just got this HP-A8.. im facing a problem, i cant using this HP-A8 thru USB connection on window 7-64bit.
im following the instruction, install the software, restart it, but it always error and restarted on his own.
i did try remove all audio sofware (including realtek) and only using HP-A8 sofware, change all the USB ports, still no luck

*so far i use the optical input thru my pc, and (with/without) realtek software, it always got clicking or popping sound 3-6 times in the middle of the song
Any idea why?*

I solve it, my optical input cable got problem. buy new one and its done.

Sep 13, 2016 at 1:18 AM Post #452 of 479
  hello guys, i just got this HP-A8.. im facing a problem, i cant using this HP-A8 thru USB connection on window 7-64bit.
im following the instruction, install the software, restart it, but it always error and restarted on his own.
i did try remove all audio sofware (including realtek) and only using HP-A8 sofware, change all the USB ports, still no luck

so far i use the optical input thru my pc, and (with/without) realtek software, it always got clicking or popping sound 3-6 times in the middle of the song
Any idea why?

oh and yes.. any suggestion for usb connection to pc?
thanks

Sep 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #453 of 479
A quick thought, might be an issue with buffering or latency, I currently only have mine connected via transport but seem to remember a similar issue in the past with one of my DACs, which was resolved by adjusting, think it was Cambridge audio.

Oct 7, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #454 of 479
I took a flier on a refurb A8 for $500 and man, I couldn't be happier. It was indistinguishable from brand new, completely flawless.

It sounds amazing with Denon D7000 - bass is super tight now, and presentation is somehow smooth yet detailed all at once. I would lean more toward mellow sounding than dynamic. I could tell immediately there was less distortion than my previous setup which was a little Denon integrated dac/amp. And oh yeah, this thing is built like a tank. The weight alone screams high end kit.

Maybe someday I'll move up to TH900 but for now ignorance is bliss.

Nov 23, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #455 of 479
Do someone really notice any differnce at all between the two filters ? (SHARP ROL-OF and MINIMUM DELAY)
Personally, I keep switching between the two during many songs and I really don't see any difference.

Other than that, I can confirm the TH-A8C is a beast coupled with TH900
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 4:54 PM Post #457 of 479
Great news !!

However, due to the USB driver situation with Sierra, I tried my MacBooks' S/PDIF (optical) output ( through the headphone out)  and I will never go back the the USB hassle.
No Drivers ever needed and High Resolution is supported.

Feb 8, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #458 of 479
  Googled, but couldn't find an answer. Is the A-8 the same as the A-8C

As others have noted, I believe the only difference is what input voltage they are set up to run on. I have the HP-A8 that I purchased from another Head-Fier. He sold it to me with a conversion transformer to run on the US standard 120v, but after obtaining the correct torx driver for the cover screws, I opened it up to find that there is an easy to change jumper which allows the user to change to what ever input voltage is needed thereby eliminating the need for a separate transformer.

Feb 9, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #459 of 479
As others have noted, I believe the only difference is what input voltage they are set up to run on. I have the HP-A8 that I purchased from another Head-Fier. He sold it to me with a conversion transformer to run on the US standard 120v, but after obtaining the correct torx driver for the cover screws, I opened it up to find that there is an easy to change jumper which allows the user to change to what ever input voltage is needed thereby eliminating the need for a separate transformer.

There seems to be a hp a8 mk2 also now

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #460 of 479
A8 vs A8C I don't know, but A8C vs A8 MK2 I asked to Fostex support in last 2016 december and here is their answer :
HP-A8mk2 now complies with DSD 5.6MHz and 11.2MHz, and the remote controller has been upgraded.

I searched for more infos before they answered this, and after comparing both manuals, the MKII has some more filters compared to A8C.
But anyway since I don't see any difference between SHARP ROL-OF and MINIMUM DELAY from my A8C, so I'm wondering if the other filters are really interesting..

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:24 PM Post #461 of 479
A8 vs A8C I don't know, but A8C vs A8 MK2 I asked to Fostex support in last 2016 december and here is their answer :
I searched for more infos before they answered this, and after comparing both manuals, the MKII has some more filters compared to A8C.
But anyway since I don't see any difference between SHARP ROL-OF and MINIMUM DELAY from my A8C, so I'm wondering if the other filters are really interesting..

Interesting, I can hear a difference and generally prefer sharp roll off.

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:23 AM Post #462 of 479
  A8 vs A8C I don't know,

For those interested, I got an interesting answer from Fostex support about this question, here it is :

Model HP-A8 was sold only in Japan and HP-A8C was for international sales.  The HP-A8C's side panels were black and the front panel was made of glass while the HP-A8's were silver and made of acrylic.  The specifications were same.

So now we all know the difference between A8 vs A8C vs A8 mkII
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #463 of 479
For those interested, I got an interesting answer from Fostex support about this question, here it is :

So now we all know the difference between A8 vs A8C vs A8 mkII :)

Actually isn't it correct that the A8 and the A8c are identical apart from aesthetically, and the mk2 has additional filters and it appears slightly more gain adjustment - 25. From fostex.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #464 of 479
Actually isn't it correct that the A8 and the A8c are identical apart from aesthetically, and the mk2 has additional filters and it appears slightly more gain adjustment - 25. From fostex.

I wasn't aware of the slightly more gain, other than that yes, you are right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back