Former Audiophile looking for IEM
Sep 21, 2012 at 4:07 AM Post #16 of 81
Easy, the Ortofon e-Q5, perfect for a former audiophile.  Also the Rockit Sounds R-50 which is just a little behind the e-Q5 in total sound quality.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #17 of 81
Fischer audio DBA-02 MKII better than the R50.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:26 PM Post #19 of 81
Re phrase, better bass response, less thin sounding, more natural timbre.

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #20 of 81
There is not much of a difference between the R-50 and DBA-02 whether its the MKI or MKII.  I compared the R-50 with the DBA-02MKI awhile ago and for me I like the bass more on the R-50 but other than that they sounded a lot alike just the highs were more prominent on the DBA-02.  I know the MKII sounds a little bit different but not much if you go by jokers review.

The R-50, DBA-02/B2 and GR01 all have pretty much the same sound signature as you would think sense they all use the same driver.  I think the R-50 is the best value because its around $60 to $80 cheaper and I like the fit off them more as well.  

Sep 21, 2012 at 5:22 PM Post #21 of 81
It's interesting that joker didn't find them that different, as to me the difference is quite big, and worth the extra money, also I prefer the fit of the DBA-02 MKII, but all of this is down to taste. I don't argue taste, each to his own.

Sep 21, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 81
Quote:
It's interesting that joker didn't find them that different, as to me the difference is quite big, and worth the extra money, also I prefer the fit of the DBA-02 MKII, but all of this is down to taste. I don't argue taste, each to his own.

True that my friend.

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:27 AM Post #25 of 81
i used shure olives on both, also i am talking about DBA-02 MKII not the original DBA-02

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #26 of 81
Quote:
Hmm. Is it the mid bass hump that destroyed the IE8s for you? I didn't find the TF10s to even be in their league. The TF10s treble is brittle and artificial sounding. Bass is bloated and the mids are hidden. The crossover was done horribly on them IMO. Although I didn't like the IE8s due to having to EQ them to get good sound. That was solved with the IE80s for me. :).

Was it the old TF10's or the newer version? They have changed a few things in them... Anyways, I only said it destroys the 215s, the IE8s are in the same league in my opinion. I actually like the artificial sound the TF10 produces sometimes in all areas, almost like it's to clear next to a dynamic driver. Anyways with my ears, I find that the mid bass hump really started to ruin vocals for me, some people say the TF10s are bad for male vocals but honestly the vocals come through more without the bloat of the mid bass on the IE8s. I find the TF10's to sound more "crystally" if you will as well. I never find myself missing my IE8's and I find that the TF10's benefit from an amp more than the IE8's do because their independence is higher. I just picked up a broken iPod video today for $15 which I put together with an old one that was missing the hard drive, would have been nice to hear the IE8's from that as my source which quite noticeable immediately sounded better than my iPad 3... I missed my iPhone 4 and I wanted something portable and for $15 with a Wolfson chip, who wouldn't jump? The S3 doesn't come close to cutting it for me after extended listening. Blah blah blah off topic. I would trial the IE8's again but unfortunately my dad had them stolen when he traveled to Montreal with my mom along with a laptop and his iPad 2. I sold them too him after bouncing between them and my TF10's. He misses them though as he is asking me for a desktop amp and over ear setup for his office at work. One thing I miss a bit about the IE8's is the amount of bass but honestly the TF10 is close and I honestly find really deep bass to be more clean. My current set came in full retail packaging after I had an imbalance issue with an Amazon deal I had bought marked up on ebay. The seller was happy to replace them though (well not really, but he did anyways) I've never heard an old pair of TF10's so I don't really know what to tell you but from all the reading I've done most people prefer the new signature. Took elements of the old and improved it while keeping the general sound sig. I haven't had the chance to demo the IE80's although I will next time I go to Toronto, I'll have to pay a visit to Bay Bloor Radio. I have NOTHING around here. My purchases are usually solely based on the reviews of others. 

Sep 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #27 of 81
You owe it to yourself to try the Etymotic HF5s. They don't have the most extended treble or bass, but have a very detailed, tonally accurate midrange, perfect for voice. Think LS3/5A :)

IMO they sound best when amped, though.

Sep 22, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #28 of 81
Quote:
Was it the old TF10's or the newer version? They have changed a few things in them... Anyways, I only said it destroys the 215s, the IE8s are in the same league in my opinion. I actually like the artificial sound the TF10 produces sometimes in all areas, almost like it's to clear next to a dynamic driver. Anyways with my ears, I find that the mid bass hump really started to ruin vocals for me, some people say the TF10s are bad for male vocals but honestly the vocals come through more without the bloat of the mid bass on the IE8s. I find the TF10's to sound more "crystally" if you will as well. I never find myself missing my IE8's and I find that the TF10's benefit from an amp more than the IE8's do because their independence is higher. I just picked up a broken iPod video today for $15 which I put together with an old one that was missing the hard drive, would have been nice to hear the IE8's from that as my source which quite noticeable immediately sounded better than my iPad 3... I missed my iPhone 4 and I wanted something portable and for $15 with a Wolfson chip, who wouldn't jump? The S3 doesn't come close to cutting it for me after extended listening. Blah blah blah off topic. I would trial the IE8's again but unfortunately my dad had them stolen when he traveled to Montreal with my mom along with a laptop and his iPad 2. I sold them too him after bouncing between them and my TF10's. He misses them though as he is asking me for a desktop amp and over ear setup for his office at work. One thing I miss a bit about the IE8's is the amount of bass but honestly the TF10 is close and I honestly find really deep bass to be more clean. My current set came in full retail packaging after I had an imbalance issue with an Amazon deal I had bought marked up on ebay. The seller was happy to replace them though (well not really, but he did anyways) I've never heard an old pair of TF10's so I don't really know what to tell you but from all the reading I've done most people prefer the new signature. Took elements of the old and improved it while keeping the general sound sig. I haven't had the chance to demo the IE80's although I will next time I go to Toronto, I'll have to pay a visit to Bay Bloor Radio. I have NOTHING around here. My purchases are usually solely based on the reviews of others. 

I'd stay away from the IE8 and opt for the IE80 unless you intend to do the mod on it. I even did the mod to the IE80 and am really enjoying the sound. Never knew they could be so detailed. I honestly find them in league with the FX700 now, the speed is also similar since doing the mod. But I much prefer the IE80 presentation to the FX700. FX700 was always leagues ahead of the TF10 just I don't like to pump up the volume with it so it was a no go for me.

Sep 22, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #29 of 81
Quote:
For a Good First Stone... The Corner Stone... For a Beginner/Building Audiophile, it oughta be Etymotic.

Have a look at their website.

Cheers, Jim

+ 1 for this...    Buy a pair of Etymotic er4's / or er4PT's...    end of the search!  

Sep 22, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #30 of 81
If you can stretch to them, the ER4S should be even better than the HF5s. You will need an amp for these, though. ER4Ps should work without one. I haven't heard the Ps myself, but I've heard that they're not as good as the S.....

What is clear, though, is that Etys are the way to go. If (like me) you can't get on with the tri-flanges (they are almost surgically invasive), Shure "Black Olives" work very well. You could, alternatively, get custom tips made. One more advantage of the ER4s: you can upgrade the cables!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back