Former Audiophile looking for IEM
Sep 17, 2012 at 10:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 81

RipD

New Head-Fier
Just found this forum - what a great resource. Done a fair amount of reading. The Concise Multi-IEM thread is fantastic. Using that and some other discussions as a reference I've got a few choices. Hoping to make the best first IEM choice based on my preferences. 

I used to be an audiophile. I suppose I still am, but no longer have the room for a good system. So 90% of my listening is now done during my commute. I think I know what a good audio system sounds like. I have no idea how good IEMs sound. I listen to everything, but most listening will be jazz and classical. I want good bass, but not an abundance of it. I hate the overextended and booming bass. IEMs in the Analytical is likely where I'm going to fall, perhaps Balanced. I want cymbals to sound like cymbals, voices to sound accurate, and I want to hear fingers barely sliding across guitar strings if it's on the CD. I don't want so much high end that it's fatiguing, but a little brightness is fine. Accuracy is what I'm after.  

I don't have an amp but would consider getting one. I'll start with IEMs only first. Being an audiophile, I expect to upgrade more than once. I can give the first (and 2nd) pair to the GF or trade/sell them. 

Given all this, here's what I'm considering: 

Brainwavz B2
SE215
RE262
TripleFi 10
SE0
Brainwavz M5 (maybe - not sure it's with the rest)

Some people think the SE0s are competitive with the rest, some seem to think they're not close. The cost of entry with them is compelling, esp if my first pair is likely going to the GF anyway. 

I know that's a lot to digest. Thoughts? 

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #3 of 81
Have you considered the VSonic GR07, or is that out of your budget? I personally believe it's the absolute best sounding universal IEM I've ever used. It is truly a wonderful piece of equipment.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 81
Id substitute the B2's with the Rockit Sounds R-50. They are $120 and will sound smoother than the B2.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 81
Quote:
Have you considered the VSonic GR07, or is that out of your budget? I personally believe it's the absolute best sounding universal IEM I've ever used. It is truly a wonderful piece of equipment.

Yes, it was price only that got them dropped from my short list. I'm trying to take a smaller step for my first pair of IEMs, They do seem quite good from what I've read.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #6 of 81
Quote:
Yes, it was price only that got them dropped from my short list. I'm trying to take a smaller step for my first pair of IEMs, They do seem quite good from what I've read.

If you are really looking for budget IEM's. I would wait and see if the TF10 go for $95 at Amazon for Black Friday. Its hard to beat for that price.

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #7 of 81
I will second the TF10 I still use it even though I have JH-13 now. They are great value especially for around 100-120 now since the amazon deal the price has gone down. I have to warn you they are a bit chucky sized some people have issues with fit. Other than that the RE262 is quite good as well, if you want to to expand out of iems a little yuin PK-1 are a solid choice. If you are going to upgrade the PK-1 would scale very nice with a portable amp. 

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 81
Quote:
Id substitute the B2's with the Rockit Sounds R-50. They are $120 and will sound smoother than the B2.

Just did some reading - these are absolutely on the list.

I would wait and see if the TF10 go for $95 at Amazon for Black Friday. Its hard to beat for that price.

Not sure I can wait that long. I'm commuting 2 hours per day. Guessing I'll be ready for my upgrade pair by the time black Friday gets here. 

Thanks for all the other comments as well. Great feedback, and fast!

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #10 of 81
For a Good First Stone... The Corner Stone... For a Beginner/Building Audiophile, it oughta be Etymotic.

Have a look at their website.

Cheers, Jim

Sep 20, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 81
just a notice about TF10...I love their sound as most fellas here do, however the fit especially while commuting wont be the most desired..also with winter approaching, its almost impossible to wear something over them...this is my personal experience
but indoors, the sound is fabulous for the price, and although some will emphasize their v-shape, which at first glance makes you hesitate considering your genres, they  tame with eq quite well.. 

Sep 21, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #13 of 81
I had a pair of SE215, 5 days later I bought my TF10. Needless to say, the SE215 got sold. Haven't heard any others on the list.

My mom owns the SE215s, the TF10s destroy them in every regard IMO. Prefer TF10s over IE8s as well.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:03 AM Post #14 of 81
Quote:
Just found this forum - what a great resource. Done a fair amount of reading. The Concise Multi-IEM thread is fantastic. Using that and some other discussions as a reference I've got a few choices. Hoping to make the best first IEM choice based on my preferences. 

I used to be an audiophile. I suppose I still am, but no longer have the room for a good system. So 90% of my listening is now done during my commute. I think I know what a good audio system sounds like. I have no idea how good IEMs sound. I listen to everything, but most listening will be jazz and classical. I want good bass, but not an abundance of it. I hate the overextended and booming bass. IEMs in the Analytical is likely where I'm going to fall, perhaps Balanced. I want cymbals to sound like cymbals, voices to sound accurate, and I want to hear fingers barely sliding across guitar strings if it's on the CD. I don't want so much high end that it's fatiguing, but a little brightness is fine. Accuracy is what I'm after.  

I don't have an amp but would consider getting one. I'll start with IEMs only first. Being an audiophile, I expect to upgrade more than once. I can give the first (and 2nd) pair to the GF or trade/sell them. 

Given all this, here's what I'm considering: 

Brainwavz B2
SE215
RE262
TripleFi 10
SE0
Brainwavz M5 (maybe - not sure it's with the rest)

Some people think the SE0s are competitive with the rest, some seem to think they're not close. The cost of entry with them is compelling, esp if my first pair is likely going to the GF anyway. 

I know that's a lot to digest. Thoughts? 

The RE262 also got my attention and I ordered a pair for myself. At least from the impressions I've gathered it would be the most enjoyable for me out of all those IEMs. If you love your mids I'd say go with the RE262s. If you hate your mids go for TF10 :p.

Sep 21, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #15 of 81
Quote:
My mom owns the SE215s, the TF10s destroy them in every regard IMO. Prefer TF10s over IE8s as well.

Hmm. Is it the mid bass hump that destroyed the IE8s for you? I didn't find the TF10s to even be in their league. The TF10s treble is brittle and artificial sounding. Bass is bloated and the mids are hidden. The crossover was done horribly on them IMO. Although I didn't like the IE8s due to having to EQ them to get good sound. That was solved with the IE80s for me. :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back