Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:03 PM Post #19,006 of 20,644
I'm interested, do you guys prefer the Utopia on a solid state (sharper, precise, tight, more edges), on a class AB (little bit warmth, middleground) or tube amp (bigger soundstage, takes most of aggressiveness out, loosens up, possibly more bass) ?
It plays well on both. The Utopia my just the one headphone that you could literally plug into any device and get great sound. Switching up the stock cable is the first step in taming those highs. I’m using the Danacable Lazuli Reference cable and it has done wonders for smoothing out the upper end, adding some staging width, and giving the Utopia’s a nice bass boost. When I plug my Utopia’s into any device I’m greeted with a nice full-bodied sound and depending on song the bass hits as hard or is as nimble as anything I’ve heard.

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #19,007 of 20,644
The highs are very fine for me, allthough a better cable is on its way.
For the moment the only thing i'm not 100% happy with (or better said, "accustomed") yet are the mids. They are forward, not to the point of being shouty, but it's not my preference. It's the first thing that makes me turn the volume down (when i otherwise think the volume is fine), vocals come across VERY forward.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #19,008 of 20,644
The highs are very fine for me, allthough a better cable is on its way.
For the moment the only thing i'm not 100% happy with (or better said, "accustomed") yet are the mids. They are forward, not to the point of shouty but it's not my preference. It's the first thing that makes me turn the volume down (when i otherwise the volume i fine), vocals come across VERY forward.
i haven't heard 1266, but it seems like u have one and this might be why it comes across this way? i know people often say 1266 has recessed mids, so coming from that to a slightly mid forward headphone like the utopia might seem huge. i'd say give it some time and see how u feel

Dec 19, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #19,009 of 20,644
The 1266 is just for the Rock / Metal stuff and yes, it has very recessed mids.
The main comparison i go with is the Sus, which ALSO has a bit recessed vocals but they also come across richer, more natural, more lifelike, just the next step. And it gets never to the point that much forward. I probably should give the Utopia a bit more time and wait for the cable (currently i only use it unbalanced).

:edit:
It varies heavily on the song. Mostly it's perfectly fine, but every now and then i feel a "ehhh, i should turn the volume slightly because the female vocals are jumping at me".

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #19,010 of 20,644
I'm interested, do you guys prefer the Utopia on a solid state (sharper, precise, tight, more edges), on a class AB (little bit warmth, middleground) or tube amp (bigger soundstage, takes most of aggressiveness out, loosens up, possibly more bass) ?
I run my 2022 Utopia's through a DAVE then Pathos Inpol Ear I have changed the Valves to the Russian Reflector type on the Pathos and love the sound. At the moment I have Moon Audio Silver Dragon cables but have bought a set of Danacables Lanzuli Reference just to see if there's a difference.

Dec 19, 2022 at 4:29 PM Post #19,012 of 20,644
He means tube rolling, i've done that a little bit and settled with two pairs of high quality tubes and i'm not changing them anytime soon.

Dec 21, 2022 at 12:43 AM Post #19,014 of 20,644
I warmed up to it! The most interesting thing is the bass performance with its dynamics, it's the best i've heard exluding the 1266, you would not expect that when you look at the Utopias graph.
I love it most on the tube amp. The bass gets a small boost and the soundstage enhances, you lose maybe 5% clarity and the sharp edges, but i prefer that. The very forward vocals also take half a step back, which is enough for me. It's a fantastic headphone that is almost as good as the Susvara in vocals and string instruments and almost as good as the 1266 in punch and slam. That makes it a bit weird and awkward for me. Do i keep it when i have the other two TOTL's that do each their special thing better? Sure, i have to switch, but i have no problem with that. I won't get rid of the Sus and the 1266 because they do magical things in certain aspects for me, the Utopia does not. It just is the best of both worlds and sounds awesome. It's goddamn enjoyable with every genre. If i could only keep one TOTL i would 100% keep the Utopia.
That leaves me with a bit of a confusing thought. Do i move on and sell it and try something else (for example the DCA Stealth since i haven't found a closed back that completely wows me, i could also go deeper into the IEM route), or do i keep it and it will be my first grab when i sit down? When i do that i fear a bit that i won't be bothered to switch to the other ones which would be a damn shame.
I'm gonna think about it a bit more...

:edit:
The balanced copper Litz Forza cable arrived, now the Utopia sounds great on the Ferrum too. Is the standard 3 meter unbalanced cable not very good or is the Ferrum seriously lacking with the 6.3mm output (didn't have that of a swing yet) or did my ears adjust?
Goddamn it sounds FAN-F*CKING-TASTIC.
I don't believe in sound quality of cables but i feel like this i a serious improvement...

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #19,015 of 20,644
Having hard time deciding which way Utopia sounds best. My sum of pros and cons.

-Stock pads with solid state amp
Best detail and most delicate sound, sometimes tad bass light for my liking and lean sounding, lower treble can occasionally bite.

-Stock pads with tube amp
Most pleasing and smooth to listen, soundstage gets enchanted by 15-20%. Liquid vocals and tube timbre makes sound more natural.

Transient attacks are nerfed and bass quantity raised but looser.

-Elex pads with solid state amp
Raised bass quantity but doesn't go loose as tube,
Transients remain same, lower treble is reduced which makes it less sharp overall, thicker sounding.

Smallest soundstage, sound looses some delicacy of stock pads. Vocals are more spotlighted which is great most of times but ocassionally depending on song i can pick slight honkyness which is not present with stock pads.

Dec 25, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #19,018 of 20,644
Which tube amps are people using with the first gen Utopia? Bought my 2020 edition recently and keen to explore tubes. Currently using the Focal Arche.
Schiit Folkvangr and Woo WA8.

Both are amazing with the 2020 utopia.

Dec 25, 2022 at 6:39 AM Post #19,020 of 20,644
Loving my Utopia 2022 with a Lazuli Reference Plus straight out of my DAVE+Mscaler stack.
The new model does away with my only real complaint about the previous Utopia ie the soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back