Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 28, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #19,036 of 20,796
Why people waste money on amplifiers for headphones?

The Focal Utopia easily runs straight out of my laptop no problem. Heck, even the Sennheiser HD 800S and HD 650 runs straight out of my 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro without problems.
Tubes. Some of us love tubes.

I’m sure the new MacBook pros can drive headphones adequately. Apple specifically designed them to do so. But they also msrp $2k and higher. Not exactly on the same level as a $200 Chromebook.

So yeah, your post comes across as trolling. You could’ve just said the new MBP has an excellent headphone amp built in and you think it sounds excellent.

You’ve been around long enough to know better than to post such a controversial opinion.

Dec 28, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #19,037 of 20,796
Apple has always been great for music. The headphone outputs will run easy to drive headphones surprisingly well. I always found Mac’s better for music. That’s why I made the switch. Why do you think the vast majority of DJs and Music producers have a Mac in their system.

But I will have to admit when you add an external DAC/Amp to the MacBook Pro. It takes your music experience to another level. So to say that it’s a waste is not accurate.

My travel setup includes MBP 16”/iPad Pro 12.0”9” connected wired or Bluetooth depending on location to a Chord Hugo 2/Cayin C9 combo. Use the C9 when I feel I need more power.

But all you really need is something like the Chord Mojo/Mojo 2 and a poly if you want to stream or wireless. Something like the mojo will be adequate for most people.

Dec 28, 2022 at 4:35 PM Post #19,038 of 20,796
My AFC 2 sounds fine too from the 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro. And that is quite funny since a few $3000 DAP's I tried couldn't handle the AFC 2.
I have had the same laptop for over a year now and I would just have to respectfully disagree with your assessment of the dac/amp in the MBP. It’s fine but nothing to get excited about. APP2 running from the MBP is surprising good and fit for a midfi system.

Also, MBP usb output even after going through USB conditioner/isolation cannot even come close to a dedicated high quality network bridge. MBP again is fine for what it is and probably better than your typical windows machine.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 1:22 AM Post #19,041 of 20,796
Damn Im wondering what i should go with, Verite Closed or the mighty focal utopia
between the 2? Utopia 100%. VC sounds broken to me. Just be sure you are prepared to shell out an additional $1500+shipping if a driver ever goes bad (someone correct me if the driver replacement cost has gone down in the last few years).

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #19,042 of 20,796
between the 2? Utopia 100%. VC sounds broken to me. Just be sure you are prepared to shell out an additional $1500+shipping if a driver ever goes bad (someone correct me if the driver replacement cost has gone down in the last few years).
Hahahahaahahah I laughed out loud when you said they sound broken. Just funny

Dec 30, 2022 at 1:36 AM Post #19,043 of 20,796
Damn Im wondering what i should go with, Verite Closed or the mighty focal utopia
Sold the VeriteC (too much resonance stuff going on in the cups) and still have Utopia.

Dec 30, 2022 at 4:10 AM Post #19,044 of 20,796
When i first listen VC they was very good but after few more listen sessions (with different wood and pads) they are "meh" for me.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #19,045 of 20,796
First of all it's closed back vs open back. In my opinion open backs are always more enjoyable so unless you specifically need a closed back I'd always go for the open option.

Furthermore this is a Utopia thread, hence you will get biased answers. Better make a separate thread in order to receive some more objective impressions.

Last but not least my two cents: Utopia sounds better but the customer service & build quality of Zmf headphones in general is leagues above Focal stuff.

Dec 30, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #19,046 of 20,796
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #19,047 of 20,796
Verite is warmer and has that aesthetic "X factor", but as someone who owns both I can tell you Utopia runs rings around Verite sonically. There are *certain times* when I'm in the mood, or listening to something that is particularly suited to Verite, but in general Utopia is still peerless among DD headphones.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:59 PM Post #19,048 of 20,796

Seeing as how I have a built-in conflict of interest due to the fact that I have a gorgeous, purple stabilized wood Verite Closed currently for sale, and barely three months new at that, I recuse myself from expressing an opinion.
🤣

Okay that would seem to imply a strong vote against the VC, but in the name of balanced reporting, I would also disclose that my brand new Utopia 2022's left driver died ... after four just days. And apparently the RMA is very slow in materializing due to the holidays. So that's a big strike against Focal in my book, but oh well. I guess I got lucky the first two times I had the Utopia, problem-free, aside from the goop.

Anyways, now I'm just making myself sad.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #19,049 of 20,796
Okay that would seem to imply a strong vote against the VC, but in the name of balanced reporting, I would also disclose that my brand new Utopia 2022's left driver died ... after four just days. And apparently the RMA is very slow in materializing due to the holidays. So that's a big strike against Focal in my book, but oh well. I guess I got lucky the first two times I had the Utopia, problem-free, aside from the goop.

Anyways, now I'm making myself sad.
Sorry to hear but I appreciate you reported the failure.

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #19,050 of 20,796
Seeing as how I have a built-in conflict of interest due to the fact that I have a gorgeous, purple stabilized wood Verite Closed currently for sale, and barely three months new at that, I recuse myself from expressing an opinion.
🤣

Anyways, now I'm just making myself sad.
There you go everybody, 2022 Netopia LEFT driver Dead.
Well, a lot earlier adopter like me back in 2016....
Feeling like rip off yet?
Sorry Buddy for your newest toy.......
Design Flaw Again....
Fixed Issue??????

Users who are viewing this thread

Back