Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 30, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #19,051 of 20,796
I had the VC. They were nicely made and sounded decent but they didn't wow me. I have a pair of Denon 9200 now and like them a lot better. For closed headphones they are really darn great and a lot cheaper.

First time I heard the Utopia in my local audio store I had the sales guys bring me a chair after like 30 seconds and sat there for over a hour absolutely amazed. Still have them and listen to them all the time.

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:58 PM Post #19,052 of 20,796
I had the VC. They were nicely made and sounded decent but they didn't wow me. I have a pair of Denon 9200 now and like them a lot better. For closed headphones they are really darn great and a lot cheaper.

I love the Denon 9200. If I had any real need for a setup to use on the go, that would be #1 or so on my list.

Regardless of portability, it deserves to be mentioned in any conversation of closed backs -- including the likes of the VC, for sure -- so I'm glad you did.

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:18 PM Post #19,053 of 20,796
Seeing as how I have a built-in conflict of interest due to the fact that I have a gorgeous, purple stabilized wood Verite Closed currently for sale, and barely three months new at that, I recuse myself from expressing an opinion.
🤣

Okay that would seem to imply a strong vote against the VC, but in the name of balanced reporting, I would also disclose that my brand new Utopia 2022's left driver died ... after four just days. And apparently the RMA is very slow in materializing due to the holidays. So that's a big strike against Focal in my book, but oh well. I guess I got lucky the first two times I had the Utopia, problem-free, aside from the goop.

Anyways, now I'm just making myself sad.
That’s so disappointing. I am guessing you can no longer return the cans, right?

Dec 30, 2022 at 11:30 PM Post #19,054 of 20,796
I love the Denon 9200. If I had any real need for a setup to use on the go, that would be #1 or so on my list.

Regardless of portability, it deserves to be mentioned in any conversation of closed backs -- including the likes of the VC, for sure -- so I'm glad you did.

The Denon sounds great with my wm1am2 too which makes a great portable combo. Utopia sounds great with the wm1am2 as well at home.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:45 AM Post #19,057 of 20,796
I would have gotten Utopia in a heartbeat if it weren’t for these high failure rates and Focal charging stupid money for out of warranty repairs. I think Focal’s problem is the lack of any structure around the driver. It’s just a driver in free space essentially.

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #19,058 of 20,796
Isn't the new voice coil in Utopia 2022 supposed to address the driver failure issue? (Hence "more reliable"?)
Although the cause of the failure is this case is unknown, only time will tell if Focal’s bet on the new copper-aluminum voice coil solved the issue. It seems unlikely and I hope Focal issues another warranty addendum for all versions of the Utopia— its the right thing to do for the brand and customers.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #19,059 of 20,796
I would have gotten Utopia in a heartbeat if it weren’t for these high failure rates and Focal charging stupid money for out of warranty repairs. I think Focal’s problem is the lack of any structure around the driver. It’s just a driver in free space essentially.
yes, we know. :rolling_eyes: and as for 'high failure rates', only focal knows how many utopias it has manufactured and how many of those units have experienced driver failure. but let's not allow that to get in the way of claims that are based entirely on anecdotal evidence and made here repeatedly. oh, and happy new year!

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #19,060 of 20,796
I would also disclose that my brand new Utopia 2022's left driver died ... after four just days.
I would have gotten Utopia in a heartbeat if it weren’t for these high failure rates and Focal charging stupid money for out of warranty repairs.
Same reason I'm not getting it. I've know of at least 2 cases within my small local community that ran into driver issues and one of them managed to get it a second time out of warranty. Paid a hefty sum to get it fixed and eventually sold it at a big loss due to reliability. Though it must be said it sound utterly amazing on my setup. Pin sharp imaging with amazing stage depth and resolves like a mf. It remains as one of the most engaging headphone. Sonically it remains as one of the most competent headphone out there. Plenty of reason to love this headphone as it really defines what a great dynamic driver headphone can achieve but the issues with driver repair cost and reliability really let it down. And no the new utopia is no replacement for me sonically.

Dec 31, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #19,062 of 20,796
There you go everybody, 2022 Netopia LEFT driver Dead.
Well, a lot earlier adopter like me back in 2016....
Feeling like rip off yet?
Sorry Buddy for your newest toy.......
Design Flaw Again....
Fixed Issue??????

So much drama over a single failure...

Why am I not surprised you made this post and jumped a conclusion?

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #19,063 of 20,796
Utopia drivers have a 5 year warranty(in case someone asks) and I never owned a headphone longer than 5 years. I own them again and again…but that’s something else entirely…
What I am saying is, if you are so scared of driver failure, just sell it before the end of the warranty period.
By the way, I am on my 4th pair and never had a problem.

Dec 31, 2022 at 3:45 PM Post #19,064 of 20,796
Dec 31, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #19,065 of 20,796
I have a feeling that Focal drivers cant handle much power at all. Sennheiser hd800S, fostex drivers, most planar drivers can handle gobs of power.
Very fragile voice coil? I think they focuse too much on having super light and fragile voice coil...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back