- Jan 15, 2014
- Reaction score
- New Mexico
Please read this post first, before you post! While I no longer read this thread, I will update the first post if you let me know.
The utopia is $4000 MSRP (significantly less from friendly, authorized dealers)
Let's keep this civil, and focused on the Focal Utopia
- Elear Impressions thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811961/focal-elear-impressions-thread
- Head-fi preview thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/811270/focal-elear-and-utopia-review-preview-with-measurements-head-fi-tv
- InnerFidelity YouTube review
- World's Best Headphone: The Focal Utopia (InnerFidelity)
- Headphone.com review
- Headphone.Guru review
- HomeTheaterReview.com review
- Focal link: http://www.focal.com/headphones/
Music to show off the Utopia recommendations:
- Fleetwood Mac: Rumors - thanks @Allanmarcus)
- "Holst--The Planets" (London Philharmonic, Boult 24/96 HD FLAC file) - thanks hometheaterreview.com
- "Alone" from Don Ellis' album Electric Bath - thanks hometheaterreview.com
- "Be-Bop-A-Lula" by Gene Vincent from the Rockabilly Rules compilation
- "Moving Picture" (Rush) - thanks headphone.guru
- Mahler’s 5th Symphony - thanks headphone.guru
- Rebecca Pidgeon’s “The Raven” in a high resolution 192kps - thanks headphone.guru
- Dianna Krall's "Popsicle Toes" - thanks InnerFidelity.com
- Lorde's "Royals" (from 2:20 - 2:45) - thanks @talkingmuffin
- Led Zeppelin "Physical Grafiti" (remastered edition) - thanks @phaeton70
It appears the warranty is five years from original date of purchase
Warranty is transferable to the next owner with invoice from authorized dealer
Non-warranted product can and will be repaired if requested but of course there is a repair cost charged.
Cases that work with the Utopia:
- Focal Hardshell case: $149
- Sentey GS-1401: $6.49 (Discontinued, but sometimes available on eBay) - Fits
- Slappa Full-Sized HardBod PRO: $20-$25
- CASEBUDi XXL Sturdy Hard Shell: $35(should fit, needs verification)
- Lightning Power - Headphone Pouch (cloth bag): $6.88
- MrSpeakers Hard Case: $49 - Fits
Here's an open invitation to any other MOT that wants to come onto this thread and announce a new product that specifically relates to the Utopia. You are welcome with arms wide. The pretty much limits the invitation to cables or other stuff specifically designed for the utopia. Cases that the Utopia will fit in area also welcome.
Discussion of the product as it relates to the Utopia is also welcome.
Cables. Running list (in no particular order) of third party cable providers. Most of these folks will make you a custom cable to spec if you contact them.
- Moon Audio
- Norne Audio
- Plussound Audio
- Double Helix Cables
- ZMF Headphones
- Lavri Cables
- Toxic Cables (UK)
- Oidio Sound (UK)
- Artisan Silver Cables (UK)
- Forza AudioWorks (Poland)
- Dana Cables
- Corse Cables (eBay store) (site)
- LQI Cables (eBay store) (site)
- Venus Audio (eBay store) (site)
- The Source AV (Head-Fi announcement with contact info)
- Or make your own. see my DIY site for ideas.
Alternate Pads. Alternate pads are highly likely to change the way the headphones sound, and often not for the better
- Elear pads - Not recommended
- Clear Pads - Some like these
- Dekoni Audio - no known reviews
Synopsis of common threads. Please don't start up a discussion in these areas as what's been said is all there is to say. Thanks @LCMusicLover and @PHIL007 for starting this list.
- Stock cable (yes, it's too long and un-wieldy, and possibly not that great, although opinions vary)
- Price (yes, they are wildly expensive, and there's no way to tell whether the price is justified by production costs, but it is what it is...). Note, your authorized Focal dealer can provide quite a discount on price. Don't pay $4000.
- Tyll's (from InnerFidelity) review(s) (We'll never know whether Tyll's first pair was broken, modified or intentionally tuned to Tyll's preferences, or just an out-lier)
- No transport case. Yes, the cheaper Clear comes with one, and the Utopia doesn't. Sucks. Talk to your dealer and I'll bet you get a great discount on a case if you buy with the Utopia.
- Extra pads. Doesn't come with extra pads. Sucks. We know.
Sound sig: Some listeners hear Utopia as ‘bright’ or ‘demanding’ or ‘too analytical’ or something similar, while others hear them as ‘well-balanced’ or ‘neutral’ or ‘resolving’ or ‘detailed’ or something similar. Some who hear ‘bright’ claim it can be ‘fixed’ with cable swaps or changes to the source chain, while others say it can’t be ‘fixed’ and (of course) still others say no ‘fixing’ is needed.