Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 14, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #18,991 of 20,796
The durability has to do with a refined voice coil (that's what they changed in the 2022 to improve driver reliability). The pad glue thing was a separate issue.
there are so many interrelated issues that it's difficult to keep track of :gs1000smile:
@Raidersfan8118 please scrap what I suggested

Dec 14, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #18,993 of 20,796
I’m thinking of grabbing some 2020 utopias. I’ve searched about as much as I can find on the sound clipping. I have no plan of adding bass or anything by eq. I think I may listen louder than the average person. Just wondering if it’s something I should worry about? Seems like there’s been less talk of it over time.

My experience has been simply this--I listen at reasonable levels to all sorts of music and have never had an issue with clipping. My Utopias are 2016 vintage.

Dec 14, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #18,994 of 20,796
My experience has been simply this--I listen at reasonable levels to all sorts of music and have never had an issue with clipping. My Utopias are 2016 vintage.
I’d like to think I listen at non harmful levels but then I read people say it happens lower than hearing damaging levels. Seems like most people I’ve talked to don’t mention it being a problem. Another guy I talk to often said he listens loudly and never had issues with his. I appreciate all the feedback.

Dec 14, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #18,995 of 20,796
I’d like to think I listen at non harmful levels but then I read people say it happens lower than hearing damaging levels. Seems like most people I’ve talked to don’t mention it being a problem. Another guy I talk to often said he listens loudly and never had issues with his. I appreciate all the feedback.
FWIW I haven't had mine clip yet.

Dec 14, 2022 at 10:16 PM Post #18,996 of 20,796
I’m thinking of grabbing some 2020 utopias. I’ve searched about as much as I can find on the sound clipping. I have no plan of adding bass or anything by eq. I think I may listen louder than the average person. Just wondering if it’s something I should worry about? Seems like there’s been less talk of it over time.

always the same answer, go for susvara

Dec 15, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #18,997 of 20,796
Could someone please explain how this should sound on different output impedances of an amp:

1671089323584.png

Background: I just got Holo Bliss and it has Low-Z and High-Z settings. For single ended those are 1ohm and 8ohm output impedances. As holo mentiones that High-Z should be used for 150ohm and up, does that mean that when I listen to Low-Z, it's not optimal for bass, but it would be optimal for mid and treble? And other way around: bass would work best on High-Z, but then I would get high-frequency roll-off or something like that in treble?

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 1:03 PM Post #18,998 of 20,796
The Utopia arrived!
Very first short impressions: Overall flasghip performance but not exceeding other TOTL's in any category. In vocals the Sus smashes it, in the bass with impact and slam the 1266 does. Those two have other problems (Abyss more than Sus), but the Utopia seems the balanced middleground where i'm very happy with not switching the headphone when i switch genres. I would rate it a 9/10 across the board except soundstage where it scores drastically lower. Allthough i'm a soundstage sucker, i don't need it in every headphone, so i'm ok with a more intimate performance as long as i have options.
I will also need to wait until i get my Forza balanced cable and can also test it on the Echo.
Maybe i'll keep it and it will be my first headphone to grab when i sit down!

Oh, i also have the Meze Elite here borrowed for a few days from another headfier, impressions versus the Utopia: AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. No. If you're an audiophile don't buy this.

Can any1 give me a confident answer to the question how durable the driver is? Seems i got a 2019 model and 12 months of warranty from now on. Don't wanna keep it and see it failing 2 years from now...

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #18,999 of 20,796
Can any1 give me a confident answer to the question how durable the driver is? Seems i got a 2019 model and 12 months of warranty from now on. Don't wanna keep it and see it failing 2 years from now...
replying to this part of ur message, i can't give u an answer on how durable they are as i am not too knowledgable about material durability, but when u think of how many people complain about their headphones breaking, think of how many are not breaking that people aren't speaking about. enjoy ur headphones :L3000:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 8:34 PM Post #19,000 of 20,796
replying to this part of ur message, i can't give u an answer on how durable they are as i am not too knowledgable about material durability, but when u think of how many people complain about their headphones breaking, think of how many are not breaking that people aren't speaking about. enjoy ur headphones :L3000:
There seems to be an unusually higher number of driver failures in Focal headphones, at least some models - so in terms of risk, it's higher than most brands.

I've been listening to headphones for about 30-40 years, currently have ~50 pairs of headphones & IEMs, and the only failure I ever had was with my Elear, while just sitting in their original box for the past year.

If Focal would at least make parts available at a reasonable price, it wouldn't be as concerning, but rather than instead ignore the problem and when a driver fails after the warranty expires, your entire investment in the headphones is worth nothing.

Dec 15, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #19,001 of 20,796
There seems to be an unusually higher number of driver failures in Focal headphones, at least some models - so in terms of risk, it's higher than most brands.

I've been listening to headphones for about 30-40 years, currently have ~50 pairs of headphones & IEMs, and the only failure I ever had was with my Elear, while just sitting in their original box for the past year.

If Focal would at least make parts available at a reasonable price, it wouldn't be as concerning, but rather than instead ignore the problem and when a driver fails after the warranty expires, your entire investment in the headphones is worth nothing.
i should make it clear i wasn't telling them to just ignore the chance that their headphones could break, i just think that as they already own the headphone, they should try and enjoy them and not be thinking too much about that chance. i do understand their concern though, i imagine a good amount of us worry about the audio equipment we enjoy breaking randomly

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 8:58 AM Post #19,002 of 20,796
The Utopia arrived!
Very first short impressions: Overall flasghip performance but not exceeding other TOTL's in any category. In vocals the Sus smashes it, in the bass with impact and slam the 1266 does. Those two have other problems (Abyss more than Sus), but the Utopia seems the balanced middleground where i'm very happy with not switching the headphone when i switch genres. I would rate it a 9/10 across the board except soundstage where it scores drastically lower. Allthough i'm a soundstage sucker, i don't need it in every headphone, so i'm ok with a more intimate performance as long as i have options.
I will also need to wait until i get my Forza balanced cable and can also test it on the Echo.
Maybe i'll keep it and it will be my first headphone to grab when i sit down!

Oh, i also have the Meze Elite here borrowed for a few days from another headfier, impressions versus the Utopia: AHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA. No. If you're an audiophile don't buy this.

I found the Danacable Lazuli Reference opened up the sound stage very nicely. In fact, I was amazed that just changing the cable could have this effect. It addressed my one reservation with the Utopias.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #19,003 of 20,796
Could someone please explain how this should sound on different output impedances of an amp:

Background: I just got Holo Bliss and it has Low-Z and High-Z settings. For single ended those are 1ohm and 8ohm output impedances. As holo mentiones that High-Z should be used for 150ohm and up, does that mean that when I listen to Low-Z, it's not optimal for bass, but it would be optimal for mid and treble? And other way around: bass would work best on High-Z, but then I would get high-frequency roll-off or something like that in treble?
8 OHM output impedance will not make any hearable difference. With 20 Ohm you get barely 2-3DB elevation for the sub-bass. See https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/param7.php?&frhz=1300&idmain=2040&tit_head=1&tit_graph=3&tit_channel=2&cl0=#000000&cl2_0=#BB0303&cl1=#029602&cl2_1=#094A78&cl2=#094A78&cl2_2=#029602&clr0=#BB6B03&clr2_0=#BB0303&clr1=#333333&clr2_1=#094A78&clr2=#5dca5d&clr2_2=#029602&clr3=#5c94bc&clr2_3=#BB6B03&style0=0&style1=1&style2=1&styler0=0&styler1=3&styler2=3&styler3=3&idhp0=2040&idamp0=1580&vol0=0&eq0=100&idhp1=2040&idamp1=1582&vol1=0&eq1=100&idhp2=2040&idamp2=200&vol2=0&eq2=100&idr0=2040&idr1=1580&idr2=1582&idr3=200&report_page=1#gsc.tab=0

1671306827022.png

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #19,004 of 20,796
I'm interested, do you guys prefer the Utopia on a solid state (sharper, precise, tight, more edges), on a class AB (little bit warmth, middleground) or tube amp (bigger soundstage, takes most of aggressiveness out, loosens up, possibly more bass) ?

Dec 19, 2022 at 10:33 AM Post #19,005 of 20,796
I'm interested, do you guys prefer the Utopia on a solid state (sharper, precise, tight, more edges), on a class AB (little bit warmth, middleground) or tube amp (bigger soundstage, takes most of aggressiveness out, loosens up, possibly more bass) ?
Both.

I enjoy the utopia with my niimbus us4 amp. Not particularly lacking in bass for me.
also highly rated it when hearing it with the woo wa5 a few years back.

whatever suits you really. If you like the sound of tubes and want to go down that rabbit hole of tube rolling then the utopia could be well served there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back