Focal Utopia General Discussion
Dec 12, 2022 at 12:51 AM Post #18,976 of 20,796
To be clear, Utopia was never among the best headphones, it was always so baised, love or hate, polarity dividing like voting station. some call it as bad as could be, bright like hell, ears ringing for months, others call it so good, there's never been having consensus, never

so, it ain't no perfect, far from it, if you want best headphones, Susvara should be the one, after all these years, there's no bad rating bad reviews bad words against the susvara, always call it so good

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:07 AM Post #18,977 of 20,796
some dealer and some user claim that the 2022 is so much better, day and night better, totally different bigger soundstage, like really that better than the OG?
the OG will be discontinued or not

OG sounds worse and worse since the release of the new one, like it was cursed by the 2022 one
To be clear, Utopia was never among the best headphones, it was always so baised, love or hate, polarity dividing like voting station. some call it as bad as could be, bright like hell, ears ringing for months, others call it so good, there's never been having consensus, never

so, it ain't no perfect, far from it, if you want best headphones, Susvara should be the one, after all these years, there's no bad rating bad reviews bad words against the susvara, always call it so good
you appear to have an agenda so i think i'll put you on ignore but before i do, you've been around these forums long enough to appreciate that this hobby is an inherently subjective pursuit. so when you assert that the "utopia was never among the best headphones", that it is polarising and the susvara is the "best headphone", you are expressing your opinion, which is subjective.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 5:03 AM Post #18,978 of 20,796

No no no.

the susvaras are bright.
the susvaras lack bass.
the susvaras are too hard to drive.
the susvaras don’t have enough drive.
the susvaras are made from cheap materials.
the susvaras have shocking cables.

that’s what people say.

so imho you’re wrong. There is criticism for the susvaras.

—————————

fwiw i disagree and i think the susvaras are fantastic and an offering of a headphone that suits me best.

and the utopias are very good too.

——————————-

but feel free to keep putting your opinions forward in this subjective great hobby of ours. The subjectivity is what makes it great.

and remember ymmv, and my mileage may vary.

Dec 12, 2022 at 2:44 PM Post #18,979 of 20,796
No no no.

the susvaras are bright.
the susvaras lack bass.
the susvaras are too hard to drive.
the susvaras don’t have enough drive.
the susvaras are made from cheap materials.
the susvaras have shocking cables.

that’s what people say.

so imho you’re wrong. There is criticism for the susvaras.

—————————

fwiw i disagree and i think the susvaras are fantastic and an offering of a headphone that suits me best.

and the utopias are very good too.

——————————-

but feel free to keep putting your opinions forward in this subjective great hobby of ours. The subjectivity is what makes it great.

and remember ymmv, and my mileage may vary.
I would agree, in my mind it’s hard to beat the Susvara when Properly powered. They are a beast. My Current chain is the iMac 27”/Chord MScaler/ Hugo TT2/Riviera AIC-10/iFi IESL Pro to Susvara with speaker taps. Hopefully when I upgrade my DAC in the future I can pull that very last bit out of them.

I want to audition to audition the Nutopias to see how well the scale in my setup. I can say that the DCA Stealths and Expanse scale beautifully.

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #18,980 of 20,796
IMHO properly amped there is very little in the class of the susvara..abyss TC and sr1a perhaps

Dec 13, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #18,981 of 20,796
I just want to thank everyone talking about the glue issue with the pads, I actually bought the dekoni stuff (for comfort, I love them on every other headphones I have) before I bought the preowned OG.

And lo and behold, glue stuff. Thankfully I caught it early because of your warnings, the pads that came with the unit was actually still in relatively new-ish condition, I might not had checked otherwise.

20221213_205843.jpg

Swap the pads in, and they are as good as new!

20221213_205948.jpg20221213_205959.jpg

Comfort is very agreeable to me, maybe some bass definition was changed at the expense of perceived soundstage (at least to me), but its still the same aggressive slamming cans I enjoy

Next up, time to get some not-so-rats-nest cables! Any idea on how to improve the headband's comfort? Unfortunately I could not use the ZMF copilot stuff. didn't quite fit

Thanks again for the glue warnings.

Dec 13, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #18,982 of 20,796
I just want to thank everyone talking about the glue issue with the pads, I actually bought the dekoni stuff (for comfort, I love them on every other headphones I have) before I bought the preowned OG.

And lo and behold, glue stuff. Thankfully I caught it early because of your warnings, the pads that came with the unit was actually still in relatively new-ish condition, I might not had checked otherwise.

20221213_205843.jpg

Swap the pads in, and they are as good as new!

20221213_205948.jpg20221213_205959.jpg

Comfort is very agreeable to me, maybe some bass definition was changed at the expense of perceived soundstage (at least to me), but its still the same aggressive slamming cans I enjoy

Next up, time to get some not-so-rats-nest cables! Any idea on how to improve the headband's comfort? Unfortunately I could not use the ZMF copilot stuff. didn't quite fit

Thanks again for the glue warnings.
You are entitled to free replacement pads if your Utopia is still under warranty. For more information refer to my old posts. :gs1000smile:

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #18,986 of 20,796
I’m thinking of grabbing some 2020 utopias. I’ve searched about as much as I can find on the sound clipping. I have no plan of adding bass or anything by eq. I think I may listen louder than the average person. Just wondering if it’s something I should worry about? Seems like there’s been less talk of it over time.

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:48 AM Post #18,987 of 20,796
I’m thinking of grabbing some 2020 utopias. I’ve searched about as much as I can find on the sound clipping. I have no plan of adding bass or anything by eq. I think I may listen louder than the average person. Just wondering if it’s something I should worry about? Seems like there’s been less talk of it over time.
Utopia 2020 at a used price is way to go

Dec 14, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #18,989 of 20,796
Thanks. I am leaning that way. I did consider utopia 2022 only because I’ve heard the drivers are more durable.
Yes, Utopia 2022 is better but is also expensive. What I have heard that driver failure due to Pad glue issue was resolved in 2020 Utopia anyways and you have warranty till 2025 on them.

Dec 14, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #18,990 of 20,796
Yes, Utopia 2022 is better but is also expensive. What I have heard that driver failure due to Pad glue issue was resolved in 2020 Utopia anyways and you have warranty till 2025 on them.
The durability has to do with a refined voice coil (that's what they changed in the 2022 to improve driver reliability). The pad glue thing was a separate issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back