Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #8,746 of 20,559
if a price reduction of a grand or more for a new utopia is significant to you, then i would say that now is a good time to buy one :relaxed:

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #8,747 of 20,559
For sure ... if I had utopias I'd be delighted with them for many years to come. And as with most things, "upgrades" are often more marketing than anything else.
However, still wondering if it's a good moment to buy right now.
I bought a couple years ago when the MSRP was $4k, but paid less than that. Talk to your dealer - if the MSRP has dropped, maybe you can pay less than the $3k.

The good moment to buy is when you have the money, and are in your spouse's good graces. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #8,748 of 20,559
The good moment to buy is when you have the money, and are in your spouse's good graces. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Then I will never buy an utopia or new headphone. Why don't women understand that having more than one headphone makes total sense :)? It would mean letting go of my HD800S, and that will be hard. Or the P9, which is flawed but I love it for the gym....

Sep 23, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #8,749 of 20,559
Then I will never buy an utopia or new headphone. Why don't women understand that having more than one headphone makes total sense :)? It would mean letting go of my HD800S, and that will be hard. Or the P9, which is flawed but I love it for the gym....

Take a picture of her shoe inventory and ask if she can live with one pair? My wife’s inventory keeps making my closet space smaller as she grows that shoe collection. Nah, don’t! It’s likeky not a winnable strategy. Good luck!! Doggie mom has the advantage of being the wife and so as such likely to get her way in all cases. Hahahaha

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 23, 2018 at 1:16 PM Post #8,750 of 20,559
Ha ha, better to have multiple headphones than multiple pairs of speakers lying around.
(Where do I put these tower speakers I'm not using so they just look like a decorative monolith? Been there, done that.)

Good motto: Headphones are for Hoarding.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #8,751 of 20,559
I am not into ... wasting other’s or my own time. What do you make of it?

Even after the price drop, they are still super expensive. The old and new reports of driver failure were also worrying to me. If Idreop that much money, I want to use the headphones for 10+ years. I have. No worry at all with my trusted Sennheisers. This probably matters as much as SQ to me.,,, so still debating.

Just stick with the hd800's. Even today you will still not find any headphone that best's it in build quality and comfort. It is because beats watered down people's expectation's. Now driver failure's, poor comfort and outrageously priced cables that do nothing for the sound is the new norm.

An hd800 with a Sony se-p900 will best a Utopia sq. wise by quite a margin for the same $3k. It might take you 3 years like me to find one at $1750 shipped but once you do the Utopia is in for a whoopin in sq as well

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #8,752 of 20,559
I just realized that the Utopia retail prize dropped to usd3000, including major sellers such as walmart and also my local focal-authorized headphone shop. What do you guys think of this? A good chance to buy (still insanely expensive) or a sign that the Clear is eating into the market, or even that a successor is around the corner?

All three Focal flagships are on sale right now. It's a promo sale, not their new MSRP.

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #8,753 of 20,559
Just stick with the hd800's. Even today you will still not find any headphone that best's it in build quality and comfort. It is because beats watered down people's expectation's. Now driver failure's, poor comfort and outrageously priced cables that do nothing for the sound is the new norm.

An hd800 with a Sony se-p900 will best a Utopia sq. wise by quite a margin for the same $3k. It might take you 3 years like me to find one at $1750 shipped but once you do the Utopia is in for a whoopin in sq as well

lol, ok

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #8,754 of 20,559

Writing this in the utopia thread is heretical indeed. But if indeed true, it would save me tons of money :). I looked out for used utopias for two years now but did never find any credible offer even close to that. Given the driver failure issues, I am also inclined to stick to an AD.

Sony SE-p900? Wasn't this a phone from 2003?

Sep 23, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #8,756 of 20,559
Writing this in the utopia thread is heretical indeed. But if indeed true, it would save me tons of money :). I looked out for used utopias for two years now but did never find any credible offer even close to that. Given the driver failure issues, I am also inclined to stick to an AD.

It might be true for the person who posted that opinion, but it’s just that, one person’s opinion.

Universal statements about headphones where personal preference plays a large part aren’t something I find any value in.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:16 PM Post #8,757 of 20,559
Take a picture of her shoe inventory and ask if she can live with one pair? My wife’s inventory keeps making my closet space smaller as she grows that shoe collection. Nah, don’t! It’s likeky not a winnable strategy. Good luck!! Doggie mom has the advantage of being the wife and so as such likely to get her way in all cases. Hahahaha
I have waaaaaaaaay more headphones than shoes! :) 'Happy wife, happy life!'

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #8,758 of 20,559

The Sony se-p900 was an eq. made between 1981-1986. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SE-P900.html. The hd800 accepts eq. better than any headphone out there. Sadly eq's were left by the wayside in the past. Only really 3 imo. The Fairchild 627, Levinson Cello, and Sony se-p900.

Sep 23, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #8,760 of 20,559
The Sony se-p900 was an eq. made between 1981-1986. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SE-P900.html. The hd800 accepts eq. better than any headphone out there. Sadly eq's were left by the wayside in the past. Only really 3 imo. The Fairchild 627, Levinson Cello, and Sony se-p900.

I see. Talking about equalization - I power my HD800S - and also intend to power the focal utopia - with the ifi Micro Black Label. I find it to be a great device, versatile with great sound, and the added equalization bass boost function is subtle and not overblkown at all. Works wonder with the HD800s and may be even with the utopia? One can always switch it off for neutrality. I simple reject to go into the expensive amp trap, and channel most of my funds to the device which matters most - the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back