Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 23, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #8,761 of 20,559
The Sony se-p900 was an eq. made between 1981-1986. http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SE-P900.html. The hd800 accepts eq. better than any headphone out there. Sadly eq's were left by the wayside in the past. Only really 3 imo. The Fairchild 627, Levinson Cello, and Sony se-p900.

Why do you keep making universal proclamations? It really isn’t a good way to influence people.

Since you’ve claimed the HD800 “accepts” EQ better than any other headphone, I assume you have tested ALL headphones and can publish your methodology and results...

There are many high quality parametric EQs available today - like the rest of the electronics universe, they have largely moved to the digital domain.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,762 of 20,559
I see. Talking about equalization - I power my HD800S - and also intend to power the focal utopia - with the ifi Micro Black Label. I find it to be a great device, versatile with great sound, and the added equalization bass boost function is subtle and not overblkown at all. Works wonder with the HD800s and may be even with the utopia? One can always switch it off for neutrality. I simple reject to go into the expensive amp trap, and channel most of my funds to the device which matters most - the headphones.
I had the same setup with the HD800S’s and Micro iDSD BL. The XBass+ did do wonders for that headphone. But it also added the some subbass to the Utopia’s pushing them even further ahead soundwise of the HD800S’s to my ears. The HD800S’s can’t match the dynamics and realism of the Utopia’s. The HD800S’s are still a great headphones but the Utopia’s are a step up in everything except soundstage. Driving the Utopia’s with the DanaCable Lazuli Reference Cable does open up the Utopia’s soundstage. But it’s still not as wide as the HD800/HD800S’s in my opinion.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #8,763 of 20,559
I had the same setup with the HD800S’s and Micro iDSD BL. The XBass+ did do wonders for that headphone. But it also added the some subbass to the Utopia’s pushing them even further ahead soundwise of the HD800S’s to my ears. The HD800S’s can’t match the dynamics and realism of the Utopia’s.

I appreciate the feedback from someone who has/had the gear the same, thanks. I of course have sampled this in a shop, but always better to get confirmation from someone who spent more time with the setup.

However, a 1k cable will never happen in my world/value system.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #8,764 of 20,559
Why do you keep making universal proclamations? It really isn’t a good way to influence people.

Since you’ve claimed the HD800 “accepts” EQ better than any other headphone, I assume you have tested ALL headphones and can publish your methodology and results...

There are many high quality parametric EQs available today - like the rest of the electronics universe, they have largely moved to the digital domain.

It is a long list. Probably over 20 eq's both software and hardware. Probably close to 20 headphones ranging from $1k-$4k. I would rather send you a pm than list them all here if it is that important to you.

I also don't think the hd800's superior build quality and comfort is opinion but fact. I have never seen a reported hd800 driver failure and I have never seen a owner of both Utopia and hd800 pick the Utopia for comfort.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:30 PM Post #8,765 of 20,559
I had the same setup with the HD800S’s and Micro iDSD BL. The XBass+ did do wonders for that headphone. But it also added the some subbass to the Utopia’s pushing them even further ahead soundwise of the HD800S’s to my ears. The HD800S’s can’t match the dynamics and realism of the Utopia’s. The HD800S’s are still a great headphones but the Utopia’s are a step up in everything except soundstage. Driving the Utopia’s with the DanaCable Lazuli Reference Cable does open up the Utopia’s soundstage. But it’s still not as wide as the HD800/HD800S’s in my opinion.

Would you like to do a temporary trade. My Sony se-p900 for your Utopia. We live close to each other.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #8,766 of 20,559
I also don't think the hd800's superior build quality and comfort is opinion but fact. I have never seen a reported hd800 driver failure and I have never seen a owner of both Utopia and hd800 pick the Utopia for comfort.

I can confirm this. I am in many German headphone forums and their members are very picky. Never have I read of complaints about driver failure.
And the utopia are nice, well balanced in weight and all, but for sure they are not the world's most comfy headphones.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #8,767 of 20,559
I love my Utopias but it's concerning that these faults still keep coming up.
Who knows if QC has improved or not, Focal seem to be less than forthcoming in regard to exactly what the root cause(s) of these faults are or which model numbers are effected (or all?).
Not really confidence inspiring, especially since the measly 2yr warranty offered by Focal in Australia is almost up for me.
Out of interest what serial range is your pair?
It stands to reason Focal would make changes to their production process if failure rates of early units acceded expectations. My replacement pair (Serial # ALBHG0011XX) are out for left driver service at the moment, so I'm waiting word on the outcome.
With the retail price coming down, you could always sell the early production pair and use the proceeds to help pay for a more current new pair with warranty. You know, piece of mind.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #8,768 of 20,559
It stands to reason Focal would make changes to their production process if failure rates of early units acceded expectations. My replacement pair (Serial # ALBHG0011XX) are out for left driver service at the moment, so I'm waiting word on the outcome.
With the retail price coming down, you could always sell the early production pair and use the proceeds to help pay for a more current new pair with warranty. You know, piece of mind.

I must say, this is a very sad state of affairs for Focal. Customers of 4k headphones are not beta testers, and should not need to resolve to such actions.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #8,769 of 20,559
Would you like to do a temporary trade. My Sony se-p900 for your Utopia. We live close to each other.
LOL, I have a Yamaha EQ-550 that's one of the last great EQ's made by Yamaha that I'll put up against the Sony. The Utopia's just don't need a lot of EQing to my ears. It gives you what's in the recording. They are so revealing and resolving.

Sep 23, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #8,770 of 20,559
It is a long list. Probably over 20 eq's both software and hardware. Probably close to 20 headphones ranging from $1k-$4k. I would rather send you a pm than list them all here if it is that important to you.

No need to list them. Just post your testing and measurement process for determining the HD800 is objectively better at “accepting eq”. If it’s just your subjective opinion, that’s fine too, simply state that and let’s move on. My issue is with your definitive statements which should be backed by data and which I suspect are your opinions/preferences and not based on objective analysis.

If you had made your posts in the HD800 thread, I wouldn’t have commented but since you seem determined to stir the pot in the Utopia thread...

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #8,772 of 20,559
But they're the best sounding headphones in the whole wide world!
Actually, they are tied for 3rd best ... he states while ducking and grinning :bomb::ksc75smile:

Sep 23, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #8,773 of 20,559
LOL, I have a Yamaha EQ-550 that's one of the last great EQ's made by Yamaha that I'll put up against the Sony. The Utopia's just don't need a lot of EQing to my ears. It gives you what's in the recording. They are so revealing and resolving.

That is a cool eq but I would not put that up against the sony. It is also not so much that the hd800 or Utopia need eqing. It is that most recordings needs eq. Have you ever heard what you would call a perfect recording? I know I haven't. Maybe James Brown Live at the Apollo. That might be an old recording but I think it was exceptionally done.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #8,774 of 20,559
For those who had issues with the Utopia, what were the symptoms?
Did the offending driver just fail to make any sound suddenly, or was there channel imbalance preceding it, or was there some sort of distortion? Thanks. Just curious.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #8,775 of 20,559
For those who had issues with the Utopia, what were the symptoms?
Did the offending driver just fail to make any sound suddenly, or was there channel imbalance preceding it, or was there some sort of distortion? Thanks. Just curious.
Based on my personal experience, which seems to resonate with several others on this thread, they just stop working suddenly.

In my case, they had been in the box for a few weeks while I was abroad with work, decided to have a listen when I got back and the left channel was just dead. No problems/sound variance etc before that, everything seemed to be just fine.

Edit: Just wanted to add, ironically almost the exact same thing happened to a friend of mine with his set a few weeks after me. They had also been left alone while he was traveling, and by all accounts were just fine before then.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back