Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 22, 2018 at 4:15 PM Post #8,731 of 20,634
Thanks, Jason. What do you guys sell in the way of pure silver Utopia cables? I’m looking for a 1 meter terminated to a 2.5mm for hookup to my AK240SS.

Are you sure you want me to answer? It might cause a discussion making it so you see me too often in the thread .... hahahahaha just kidding with you

We carry Kimber Axios and WireWorld in Silver cables.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Sep 22, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #8,732 of 20,634
Are you sure you want me to answer? It might cause a discussion making it so you see me too often in the thread .... hahahahaha just kidding with you

We carry Kimber Axios and WireWorld in Silver cables.

Got it. I’m a big Kimber fan, but its Silver Axios is very expensive for my application ... 3K expensive! Thank you.

Last edited:
Sep 22, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #8,734 of 20,634
My left driver failed last week. Today I returned them to my dealer for a warranty repair. Can somebody tell me - what is this process like? How long until they come back? Do they repair or replace? Mine were made Oct 2016 and purchased Dec 2016. Has quality control improved (or declined)? Has the sound signature changed at all? (Sorry - I suspect this is all addressed elsewhere in this thread.)

Sep 22, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #8,735 of 20,634
Yeah and calling Focal to have other dealers removed and snitch on them is certainly helpful for the consumer.

I don't get why people would even snitch. It's pretty much a rule that you keep it private. Some dealers also tell you that you shouldn't tell anyone about this because they will get in trouble. But it's funny to see how Jason was crying hard a while ago about me keeping all my discounts private. This is exactly the reason why.

Sep 22, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #8,736 of 20,634
My left driver failed last week. Today I returned them to my dealer for a warranty repair. Can somebody tell me - what is this process like? How long until they come back? Do they repair or replace? Mine were made Oct 2016 and purchased Dec 2016. Has quality control improved (or declined)? Has the sound signature changed at all? (Sorry - I suspect this is all addressed elsewhere in this thread.)
Another one? Now i'm really scared...

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018 at 12:56 AM Post #8,737 of 20,634
I just realized that the Utopia retail prize dropped to usd3000, including major sellers such as walmart and also my local focal-authorized headphone shop. What do you guys think of this? A good chance to buy (still insanely expensive) or a sign that the Clear is eating into the market, or even that a successor is around the corner?

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #8,738 of 20,634

I love my Utopias but it's concerning that these faults still keep coming up.
Who knows if QC has improved or not, Focal seem to be less than forthcoming in regard to exactly what the root cause(s) of these faults are or which model numbers are effected (or all?).
Not really confidence inspiring, especially since the measly 2yr warranty offered by Focal in Australia is almost up for me.
Out of interest what serial range is your pair?

Sep 23, 2018 at 1:32 AM Post #8,739 of 20,634
I just realized that the Utopia retail prize dropped to usd3000, including major sellers such as walmart and also my local focal-authorized headphone shop. What do you guys think of this? A good chance to buy (still insanely expensive) or a sign that the Clear is eating into the market, or even that a successor is around the corner?
I thought you were joking (or trolling), so I went to WalMart.com, and...sure enough, there they were.

Sold by Audio Advice, which turns out to be a two-store chain in Charlotte & Raleigh North Carolina. Interestingly, on their (AA’s) website they offer the $3k trade-in deal. But on the walmart.com listing there’s no mention of a trade-in, and they say only 2 left. Also, the Raleigh store shows up on the Focal dealer map for headphones.

Walmart is adding affiliate sellers like Amazon has.

Sep 23, 2018 at 7:28 AM Post #8,740 of 20,634
I thought you were joking (or trolling), so I went to WalMart.com, and...sure enough, there they were.
Walmart is adding affiliate sellers like Amazon has.

I am not into ... wasting other’s or my own time. What do you make of it?

Even after the price drop, they are still super expensive. The old and new reports of driver failure were also worrying to me. If Idreop that much money, I want to use the headphones for 10+ years. I have. No worry at all with my trusted Sennheisers. This probably matters as much as SQ to me.,,, so still debating.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #8,742 of 20,634
As @LCMusicLover points out, Walmart is not selling Focal headphones, the seller is Audio Advice via Walmart.
My local shop is a certified focal partner and lowered its price as well. Moving beyond the (re)seller question, what do you all think about buying the utopias late 2018? I could easily imagine a v2, maybe with an identical built but more cable options .....

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #8,743 of 20,634
Yes, there are discounts from many AD's right now.
I don't sweat if an 'upgraded' version is/will be coming out...I'm extremely happy with my Utopia just the way they are.
Besides, an 'upgrade' doesn't always exactly mean that. In most cases it's just different.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #8,744 of 20,634
My local shop is a certified focal partner and lowered its price as well. Moving beyond the (re)seller question, what do you all think about buying the utopias late 2018? I could easily imagine a v2, maybe with an identical built but more cable options .....
There will always be something new on the horizon.

There are many cable options for the Utopias already available from third parties.

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:48 AM Post #8,745 of 20,634
Yes, there are discounts from many AD's right now.
I don't sweat if an 'upgraded' version is/will be coming out...I'm extremely happy with my Utopia just the way they are.
Besides, an 'upgrade' doesn't always exactly mean that. In most cases it's just different.

For sure ... if I had utopias I'd be delighted with them for many years to come. And as with most things, "upgrades" are often more marketing than anything else.
However, still wondering if it's a good moment to buy right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back