Focal Utopia General Discussion
Jan 9, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #5,926 of 20,559
My thank you is a little delayed. But, it's well deserved.
Focal Utopia
THE SOURCE AV inTorrance, CA

Shout out to my friends @TSAVJason and @TSAVAlan and Wayne for helping me with all my recent high end purchases.

1) The best experience i ever had with any dealers ever! Not just for audio, in general. Smooth as butter service. If I ever own my own shop it would be modeled after Jason's. Marvelous!

2) Alan is a very easy and humble person to deal with. Jason made a good choice putting this guy under his wing. All 3 guys are very informative and give me the best advice. I'm still learning about this hobby everyday. I love music, and they provided all the necessary tools I needed.

3) BEST FOCAL UTOPIA PRICE IN THE U.S.A
GUARANTEED! call Jason if you are still on the fence about these.
I can boost all day long if it's well deserved.

Thank's again! 20180109_184941.jpg

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #5,928 of 20,559
My thank you is a little delayed. But, it's well deserved.
Focal Utopia
THE SOURCE AV inTorrance, CA

Shout out to my friends @TSAVJason and @TSAVAlan and Wayne for helping me with all my recent high end purchases.

1) The best experience i ever had with any dealers ever! Not just for audio, in general. Smooth as butter service. If I ever own my own shop it would be modeled after Jason's. Marvelous!

2) Alan is a very easy and humble person to deal with. Jason made a good choice putting this guy under his wing. All 3 guys are very informative and give me the best advice. I'm still learning about this hobby everyday. I love music, and they provided all the necessary tools I needed.

3) BEST FOCAL UTOPIA PRICE IN THE U.S.A
GUARANTEED! call Jason if you are still on the fence about these.
I can boost all day long if it's well deserved.

Thank's again!

Ditto to that. I'm also a fan of the SourceAV guys :)

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:58 PM Post #5,929 of 20,559
any comments about the headphone itself?
It's still the beginning part of my burn in. And I don't know how anyone can compare the Clear to these. These smoke the Clear. Just from my honeymoon period. It's so clear that these sounds are like transparent ghosts singing next to my ears. Remarkable so far. I can't wait for them to open up more and I can pump the volume more. At low volumes it's still very pleasant to listen to.

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #5,931 of 20,559
It's still the beginning part of my burn in. And I don't know how anyone can compare the Clear to these. These smoke the Clear. Just from my honeymoon period. It's so clear that these sounds are like transparent ghosts singing next to my ears. Remarkable so far. I can't wait for them to open up more and I can pump the volume more. At low volumes it's still very pleasant to listen to.

looking good for you. i should give the clear a listen and compare it to the utopia to hear what all of the fuss is about.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #5,932 of 20,559
Hmmm... cannot imagine why Tyll couldn't hear what you are hearing.
Honestly, who gives a crap lol. I trust my own ears over anyone else. If they are making me feel good listening to music like nothing before them than it's a great purchase for me. Anything can change down the road, but so far, it's remarkable.

I don't mean to sound rude, but we can't depend on one man's ears to make decisions for our own.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:14 PM Post #5,936 of 20,559
Same here, I am very curious to hear the Clear but... ultimately I also look better in black. haha. If I were to guess, slightly more boosted base and overall less resolving. Could be wrong tho.
I had the Clear for over a month. They aren't even close. And I haven't truly heard the Utopia in all its glory. I wish I never wasted my time with the Clear, even though they were awesome. These "Utopia" just sound like something Aliens created. It fits what I'm after in how my music should sound to my ears.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #5,937 of 20,559
I plug in my Sennheiser HD800S after over two months of not listening to them. I slowly crank up the volume on my Hugo 2.. hoping I still love them after only listening with Utopia for all this time... I close my eyes... waiting in anticipation........

.......... They STILL touch my heart like no other.. no burn in needed... glorious! Never letting these go again.. Utopia and HD800S staying in my line up no matter what..

Jan 9, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #5,938 of 20,559
Personally for me, although the HD800S were nice, I didn't really find them too engaging. I had mine for about 8-10 months (?) and let them go (along with the TH-900, etc.) for the Utopia. I have to admit I don't really miss the HD800S. They did have one advantage was that they (not surprisingly) sounded more spacious than the Utopia which sounded somewhat closed. However the Susvara to me was the blend of the two - where it sounded spacious, but yet with the engagement of the Utopia.

I was actually ready to let the Utopia go however, it's simply just a more convenient setup (along with my NW-WM1Z) than the Susvara which has to be fed off my speaker amp.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #5,939 of 20,559
I don't feel the Utopia blow the Clear away. They're 2 different headphones and it's a matter of preference.
To me, the Clear has a warmer/calmer distant, more relaxing sound. Whereas, the Utopia has a more invasive/forward precise energizing sound.

Jan 9, 2018 at 11:44 PM Post #5,940 of 20,559
my reaction to the hd800s is similar to @AnakChan. while i preferred it to the hd800, i didn't like it enough to want to own it. the sr-009 also left me cold tbh.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back