Focal Utopia General Discussion
Sep 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #4,636 of 20,559
They will, but some have had challenges.

I sort of remember someone saying the warranty is not transferable, but there is a short period (like up to 30 days after original purchase) where focal will repair even for a second hand buyer. The duration of the warranty is dependent on the seller; some stores are able to offer a longer warranty like Jason's store. I can only assume this is because Jason is awesome :)

I was never able to find a warranty on-line, which would answer soooo many questions. For whatever reason, my Utopia has no warranty info, so I cannot even scan and post it. If anyone has a link to warranty info, post that link.
Jason is a good egg in this age of outsourced customer service departments, he treats his customers like royalty.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #4,637 of 20,559
My Utopia just failed. Bought them at the end of the 2016.

Wondering if there have been any other failures recently. Can't seem to search within a thread on this new format.

Good thing I bought them with a warranty.

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:27 PM Post #4,638 of 20,559

Wondering if there have been any other failures recently. Can't seem to search within a thread on this new format.

Dead driver?

Sep 27, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #4,639 of 20,559

You can, you just have to be looking in the thread and make sure you check "search this thread only" in the search box.

I'm also sorry for your loss.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #4,644 of 20,559
Sorry to hear about these failures. What was the problem? Was it the same issue both times?

1st one = right driver started to exhibit cracklong sound like lightning strike whenever sub bass in music or movies started, especially at bomb scene. About 2 weeks later, right driver dead.

2nd one= left driver dead probably after one month of use.

Don't know if warranty restart after each one replaced or count from the start of 1st purchase. However, I have 5 years warranty.

Weird thing is 3rd Utopia arrived and I thought or noticed light flabby rattle on right driver whenever sub bass was there.
Burn in 10 days and still the same. This time Focal rep got involved and shipped my unit for them to look. After couple weeks then my unit came back and they said nothing was wrong when they tested.
However, I don't hear it anymore.
Don't know if they fixed it and not telling the customer the problem because this is a new kind of sumpter to me. Also, Focal has to list it the failure to their QA dept.
It's a little bit weird to me.

Sep 27, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #4,645 of 20,559
Enjoying the Utopia through RME ADI-2 Pro DAC - amp, a big step (details, purity, speed, etc,) up compared to using iFi iCAN Pro.
Would anyone know how listening to the Utopia through the RME ADI-2 Pro fares compared to listening to the Utopia through the Hugo or even, dare I say, through the Dave?

addition:
on this link
https://headfonics.com/2016/12/the-adi-2-pro-by-rme/2/
a reviewer says that the ADI-2 Pro is better than the Hugo, but he only speaks of testing them with an Oppo PM-3, i.e. headphones limited far below the SQ that these DAC-amps can produce.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #4,646 of 20,559
1st one = right driver started to exhibit cracklong sound like lightning strike whenever sub bass in music or movies started, especially at bomb scene. About 2 weeks later, right driver dead.

2nd one= left driver dead probably after one month of use.

Don't know if warranty restart after each one replaced or count from the start of 1st purchase. However, I have 5 years warranty.

Weird thing is 3rd Utopia arrived and I thought or noticed light flabby rattle on right driver whenever sub bass was there.
Burn in 10 days and still the same. This time Focal rep got involved and shipped my unit for them to look. After couple weeks then my unit came back and they said nothing was wrong when they tested.
However, I don't hear it anymore.
Don't know if they fixed it and not telling the customer the problem because this is a new kind of sumpter to me. Also, Focal has to list it the failure to their QA dept.
It's a little bit weird to me.

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully you're all ok now?!

Does anybody know how the drivers are failing? Coil burning out? It sounds like maybe the coil is separating from the driver membrane.

Sep 27, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #4,647 of 20,559
Sorry to hear about all your problems. Hopefully you're all ok now?!

Does anybody know how the drivers are failing? Coil burning out? It sounds like maybe the coil is separating from the driver membrane.

I'm sure it's different failure modes. Coil burning out would require a lot of power to do that (or DC current leakage from an amplifier).

Sep 27, 2017 at 8:03 PM Post #4,649 of 20,559
DC current leaked from my amp once. I had to steam-clean to get it all up!

Lol. Sadly I had that happen years ago with the Schiit Lyr + Ultrasone Edition 8 LE...blew the drivers. :frowning2: Thankfully they were repaired under warranty by Ultrasone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back