Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 18, 2017 at 8:42 PM Post #3,586 of 20,602
Hi guys,for those of you that are interested,aornic has put a video up on youtube called Focal utopia & elear pad swap.well worth watching I'd say,and thanks aornic for the video . I'm sorry but for some reason i couldn't put the link up for it.

I am not sure if artificially trying to boost or extend the bass on Utopias is a good idea... There is no doubt, Utopia is not for feeding your bass-head needs or tendencies. You need a pair of specialty cans for that... like Z1Rs, a bit too extravagant simply for that purpose, maybe massdrop fostex th-x00 or one of the better beats would be more practical. Or get one of those vests that vibrates (I secretly want one! lol)

May 18, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #3,587 of 20,602
I am not sure if artificially trying to boost or extend the bass on Utopias is a good idea... There is no doubt, Utopia is not for feeding your bass-head needs or tendencies. You need a pair of specialty cans for that... like Z1Rs, a bit too extravagant simply for that purpose, maybe massdrop fostex th-x00 or one of the better beats would be more practical. Or get one of those vests that vibrates (I secretly want one! lol)
Bear in mind, the Utopia sound isn't just solely from the drivers but the beryllium drivers but the Utopia package as a whole, incl the leather earpad currently chosen by Focal. Owners can "fine tune" the signature to their tastes by changing ear pads, or using 3rd party cables, etc.

Jude has posted up measurements of the Utopia with Elear pads in #2715.

May 18, 2017 at 9:36 PM Post #3,588 of 20,602
From my searching, I have found the following info. This was from reading forums, not official statements from Focal, so take it with a grain of salt until we get the official word from the manufacturer or an official dealer.

1. Focal will replace the headphones if there is a problem within the first 90 days of purchase, regardless of the owner, original or otherwise. I read of a second owner receiving a new pair from Focal, as it was within 90 days of the original purchase date.
2. Warranty however, is not transferable. After 90 days, you are out of luck.
3. Focal will not repair a broken Utopia if you are not the original owner (after the first 90 days,) even if you are willing to pay.

What the final truth is, I suppose we will have to wait and see.

quite honestly this is so absurd it simply cannot be true...personally i am the original owner of a Utopia but i buy and sell used HP's all the time and if i knew ahead of time of such a policy I would never have bought the Utopia...Audeze which i also own will honor the warranty for any owner whether original or used,as it should be.....

May 18, 2017 at 10:38 PM Post #3,589 of 20,602
quite honestly this is so absurd it simply cannot be true...personally i am the original owner of a Utopia but i buy and sell used HP's all the time and if i knew ahead of time of such a policy I would never have bought the Utopia...Audeze which i also own will honor the warranty for any owner whether original or used,as it should be.....
Very few headphones have transferable warranties, and very few are sold dealer only. The dealer only model is much more popular with higher end speakers, and assumes you have a relationship with your dealer. I'm. It sure I ever seen the written utopia warranty. Has anyone?

May 19, 2017 at 2:57 AM Post #3,590 of 20,602
Hi guys,for those of you that are interested,aornic has put a video up on youtube called Focal utopia & elear pad swap.well worth watching I'd say,and thanks aornic for the video . I'm sorry but for some reason i couldn't put the link up for it.

I have a pair of Elear pads sitting here on my desk that I decided I did not like on the Utopias. I was absolutely amazed when I first put them on because I doubted they really could boost the bass. However, they completely change the sound signature and, in my opinion, undoes the magic that makes the Utopia sound so fantastic. Also, they are stiffer than the Utopia pads and they become uncomfortable for me after a relatively short period of time. So here they sit.

May 19, 2017 at 3:01 AM Post #3,591 of 20,602
I have a pair of Elear pads sitting here on my desk that I decided I did not like on the Utopias. I was absolutely amazed when I first put them on because I doubted they really could boost the bass. However, they completely change the sound signature and, in my opinion, undoes the magic that makes the Utopia sound so fantastic. Also, they are stiffer than the Utopia pads and they become uncomfortable for me after a relatively short period of time. So here they sit.
BUT there was something LACKING, hence the search for another pad. You can also try a better cable.

May 19, 2017 at 9:39 AM Post #3,592 of 20,602
BUT there was something LACKING, hence the search for another pad. You can also try a better cable.

What is wrong with the stock cable? I see many comments here and elsewhere inferring that the stock cable is inferior and should be "upgraded" to another (and almost always more expensive) 3rd party cable. I do have the Focal Utopia, which I am pairing with a GS-X Mk2, and have been using both the stock (single ended) and an Axios (copper) balanced cable. I have done extensive switching of these cables back and forth, and have concluded that although they sound slightly different, neither is clearly better than the other -- both are quite good. My suggestion to anyone purchasing the Focal Utopia is to please give the stock cable a try for awhile before considering other cables. My Utopia was shipped with a shorter stock cable, which should dispel some concerns initially expressed about the long length. I've seen many other headphones that truly have poor quality stock cables, but the Utopia is definitely not one of them.

May 19, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #3,593 of 20,602
What is wrong with the stock cable? I see many comments here and elsewhere inferring that the stock cable is inferior and should be "upgraded" to another (and almost always more expensive) 3rd party cable. I do have the Focal Utopia, which I am pairing with a GS-X Mk2, and have been using both the stock (single ended) and an Axios (copper) balanced cable. I have done extensive switching of these cables back and forth, and have concluded that although they sound slightly different, neither is clearly better than the other -- both are quite good. My suggestion to anyone purchasing the Focal Utopia is to please give the stock cable a try for awhile before considering other cables. My Utopia was shipped with a shorter stock cable, which should dispel some concerns initially expressed about the long length. I've seen many other headphones that truly have poor quality stock cables, but the Utopia is definitely not one of them.

I use stock cables at this moment, and in my opinion, if you like copper, the stock cables is good, only that it does not have balanced jack and a bit too long. I would never upgrade Utopia cables for another copper materials. However, if I would, it have to be another type of materials, like hybrid, silver, or silver gold...etc...etc. They are expensive, and I can not afford one ATM lol....

May 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #3,595 of 20,602
I wasn't being funny mate, I've heard the stax 009 and didn't like them,I've owned the stax 007 and hated them,focal utopia s are the complete package in my opinion

Did you hear it out of KG setup ? Utopia is pretty good and easy to drive :) and that changes a lot of things

Last edited:
May 19, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #3,597 of 20,602
It was the blue Hawaii mate made by is it Jason from head amp? I bought the 007 blind with the 007 amp which I thought sounded awful,sold it with in weeks
I see, then it wasn't for you :). My 009 and grounded grid is awesome. I am very curious what and why you did not like it though, if u care to share

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back