Focal Utopia General Discussion
May 18, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #3,572 of 20,602
I've actually heard the same that Focal will not do repairs for second owners. This was by some user who had contacted Focal about it. I can't remember where this was posted but I remember reading it.

May 18, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #3,573 of 20,602
It depends, some people who love music enough and has the mean to afford it, they can totally go all out and up to 20k for a proper top of the tier headphones system. However, a 50k system such as HE-1 or Sangrila is another topic altogether. In my eyes, I love Stax system with proper top tier setup, and am glad that my quest for a proper headphones system is now in a much more narrowed target. The correct Stax setup can bring the enjoyment from much more expensive home stereo speakers. I don't and never had the leisure to tried those 200-300k stereo systems, but I know what quality music and audio should sound like as I have attended countless of live performances and even raw instruments performances. So I do agree with some people saying that Stax setup can bring you these performances. What is best about it ? It is compact, cheap, and affordable in comparison to a proper setup of home stereo, then I can get pretty private with it as all I need is a room for myself, and slam my ears to deaf without anyone noticing. I can do gaming, watching movies, listening to music, all kind of enjoyments from it.

Why do I prefer Stax over those more expensive above ? Stax has a long history and proven performances, except a good energizer. That was why the original Orpheus sounded so good in comparison....well, no more...Kevin with his legendary design and heart of enthusiasm has breathed a new life into Stax system. I know many had not any chances to listen to one, but if you have the chance, try it and hear for yourself. I don't have the top tier T2, which I will in the future, however I do have the Carbon and now the Grounded Grid with 009. I can tell you that it is the best system I have ever had, period. So good that everything else sounds boring in comparison....so good that even if I went to a movie theater with X-d technology and I can only found it to be acceptable.....lol. Damn, that was long. Now, on top of that, Stax system and KG designed amps, I can custom fit any type of DAC I wanted in the chain and don't have to be stuck with integrated DAC. The markets for the DAC nowadays are moving and progressing in unbelievable speed.....it is crazy to stay still for more than 5 years :D on the same DAC. Why integrated DAC ? Hehehe. The final nail for it is that with everything, you will only ended up around or below 20k for a proper and good Stax system that will bring countless of hours of enjoyments. Whoever stated that Stax has no bass or lack of bass, they have never heard the best of Stax, period.

Utopia is good, and even though I have a good Stax system, I still find the Utopia dazzlingly good performer out of anything, and a proper setup can only scale it up much better. I am amazed of howmuch the Utopia can perform out of my WM1Z that I can bring around the house in comparison to the Stax system, and that is why I still love it and deem it being the best dynamic headphones yet. The portability, the performances out of any sources, and the prices-performances in comparison to a much more expensive Stax system. It is not like it get that close, but is the closest dynamic system I have came across yet, and I have no interested in dynamic headphones anymore, especially those that will need heavy weight champion setup to perform. In my opinion, Utopia for portability and dynamic Signature, then Stax for the ultimate end game. That is that
In your opinion

May 18, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #3,575 of 20,602
Guys,

I can't honestly see the rumours being true about Focal and their policy for repairs on Utopias for 2nd owners.

It simply does not make any long term business sense. A company's reputation is not just built on making quality products but also on having a top quality after sales service.

It would be nice for a representative of Focal to chime in at this point and help clear things up for existing owners and those thinking of buying the Utopia in the future as Im pretty sure the will be following this thread.

Over to you Focal!

May 18, 2017 at 10:59 AM Post #3,576 of 20,602
I am tired of nonsense "rumors", and dumb scandals. I thank Focal for having such great products as Utopia. Thanks Focal

I'm not fond of rumors or scandals either which is why I have addressed my question to a)Focal or b)Jason who is a flagship Focal dealer.

Once we have an answer from them all rumors and speculation can be put to rest.

I personally called Focal in France and was directed to Focal in the UK and they did not have any answers for me.

I'm keen to know the answers.

May 18, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #3,577 of 20,602
Hi guys,for those of you that are interested,aornic has put a video up on youtube called Focal utopia & elear pad swap.well worth watching I'd say,and thanks aornic for the video . I'm sorry but for some reason i couldn't put the link up for it.

May 18, 2017 at 2:05 PM Post #3,578 of 20,602
I purchased a used Utopia that was sold with a defect from the manufacturer that didn't bother the original owner, but it did bother me. I worked with the vendor (not Jason's company, another company) and they would not even request a repair from Utopia for me. I then worked with the original owner, who put in a request to the vendor. The vendor then put in the service request. I sent in the utoptia and the vendor who originally wanted to only return the utopia to the address on the original invoice. They eventually relented and returned the utopia directly to me. The whole experience sucked

Contract this to the experience I had with Koss. I purchased a used ESP950. It eventually developed an issue. I mailed the headphones to Koss with a check for $9. They didn't even ask for an invoice. They repaired it and sent it back to me. Easy-peasy.

May 18, 2017 at 4:35 PM Post #3,580 of 20,602
From my searching, I have found the following info. This was from reading forums, not official statements from Focal, so take it with a grain of salt until we get the official word from the manufacturer or an official dealer.

1. Focal will replace the headphones if there is a problem within the first 90 days of purchase, regardless of the owner, original or otherwise. I read of a second owner receiving a new pair from Focal, as it was within 90 days of the original purchase date.
2. Warranty however, is not transferable. After 90 days, you are out of luck.
3. Focal will not repair a broken Utopia if you are not the original owner (after the first 90 days,) even if you are willing to pay.

What the final truth is, I suppose we will have to wait and see.

May 18, 2017 at 5:29 PM Post #3,583 of 20,602
there is no way a company...any company would refuse to repair it's product under any circumstance....that would be financial suicide

May 18, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #3,584 of 20,602
And Sennheiser still remains king.

Except Stax, of course. DUH

May 18, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #3,585 of 20,602
Wait until Inner Fidelity knocks it off the "wall of fame" and then you'll see it really drop in value...

I am kidding of course....just need to put that express disclaimer in there. Don't want TSAV getting angry. (Kidding again!).

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back