Focal Utopia General Discussion
Apr 8, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #3,106 of 20,711
Does anyone know when the Focal Utopia bad drivers recall happened?

I'm planning to obtain one from a friend who purchased his Utopia in December 2016 from an authorized dealer. Imm afraid it'll have problems down the line since the warranty isn't transferable.

Had mine since early December and it's had prob 2000 hrs worth of use/burn-in and no problems with it at all. When I use it for burning in DAPs or cables, it goes on for 2 weeks straight (24x14).

Apr 8, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #3,108 of 20,711
Hi AnakChan,have you noticed much change in the headphones up to those 2000 hrs of use

For me biggest change was sound stage extended in width.  Sound is no long confined to inside the head.

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #3,110 of 20,711
Hard to really pin point after 150 or so they seemed to really open up.  I changed amps after that (Headtrip) and that opened them up wider. Recently added a uptone Regen and that opened the sound stage much wider still.... 

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #3,111 of 20,711
Hard to really pin point after 150 or so they seemed to really open up.  I changed amps after that (Headtrip) and that opened them up wider. Recently added a uptone Regen and that opened the sound stage much wider still.... 
I'm not familiar with them mate,I've got the trilogy 933 and that gives a iron vice grip on the focal utopia drivers

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #3,112 of 20,711
I'm not familiar with them mate,I've got the trilogy 933 and that gives a iron vice grip on the focal utopia drivers

Do you use a computer or server as a source ? If so, check out the Regen for USB "regeneration" .  Do a search it is less than $300 and really works wonders for soundstage IMHO...

Apr 8, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #3,113 of 20,711
Do you use a computer or server as a source ? If so, check out the Regen for USB "regeneration" .  Do a search it is less than $300 and really works wonders for soundstage IMHO...
I'm old school mate I'm a complete old arse when it comes to hi-fi,I wouldn't dream of using a computer for my source, I've got a naim nd5 xs and a Chord 2qute and apologises for mentioning this word as ppl are a bit touchy with this word in the hugo 2 thread but the NAIM is galvanised so it won't rust in the rain.I've just googled it and it's something to do with the power supply not anti corrosion...still I'm happy with it

Apr 9, 2017 at 3:16 AM Post #3,114 of 20,711

same here. after 150-200 hours the improvement is quite audible.
I have noticed more sub-bass, slighlty more bass, more refined and extended highs.
imaging has extended, particularly the width.
also, that slighlty disturbing (for me, YMMV) too much energy around 12k has gone, now these cans are simply perfect IMHO. 

I'm using a pc(highly optimzied and fully dedicated)+foobar+WW Starlight7+MSB Analog+UPOCC Silver+custom300B+FAW

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:03 AM Post #3,115 of 20,711
Hi AnakChan,have you noticed much change in the headphones up to those 2000 hrs of use
I kinda rarely make any comments about changes from burn in despite carrying out the practice.

Unless I have two (or more) of the same units where one is burnt in and one isn't and can compare side-by-side, I've generally stayed away from commenting as I know I have a poor memory. I've been caught too many times where even just a day's of memory isn't accurate.

I still practice burn in though just in case if changes occur and at least for readers who do believe in it, the reviews I've done have catered for their concerns. Whilst for those who don't, well it's just waiting a little more time for a review rather than immediate out of the box impressions.

Apr 9, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #3,116 of 20,711
............  Unless I have two (or more) of the same units where one is burnt in and one isn't and can compare side-by-side, I've generally stayed away from commenting as I know I have a poor memory. I've been caught too many times where even just a day's of memory isn't accurate.  ........

+1

Apr 10, 2017 at 1:25 AM Post #3,117 of 20,711
Regarding the cable upgrade.. it would be worth it simply due to how long stock cable is.. and I'm sure internal wiring on Utopia is copper, even though silver would have been better.

Apr 10, 2017 at 4:06 AM Post #3,118 of 20,711
Somewhere around 100-125 hours, and I'm just in awe of this headphone. My speakers are feeling totally unused and unappreciated these days. 

Sound is so smooth, effortless, and clear. The soundstage began small, located just outside my head, but now it's a purely inside-the-head experience. 

I've got a good DAC now, but I should have a great DAC in about 10 days...Can't wait to see how the sound changes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back