Focal Elear - Impressions Thread
Oct 13, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #991 of 6,742
Hearing an HD800 for the first time was "ok". I thought it had wide sound stage and a lot of separation. Around that same time I was hooked onto audeze (which I still enjoy the sound today). Then I got to hear the HD800 on a set up that really made them shine and it is truly a unique experience. The Amp I heard it on that had good synergy was the liquid carbon and the dac was the theta pro basic II. I think you really should try and hear one MB. Just hope that your experience is a lot closer to my second one.

I'm certainly not left wanting with the Elear and think I made the right decision (it's currently audio nirvana of the highest order).  I didn't expect headphones over £300 to be such a drastic improvement and I wish I'd joined the club sooner.

If the timing was better I would try and get down to Headroom @ Indulgence in London this weekend.  Sadly a relative is in hospital at the moment so it's out of the question.

Oct 13, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #992 of 6,742
I agree about the Elear treble containing some overly emphasized components in songs. Not a deal breaker for me, but it is notable. I disagree about the bass being over-emphasized. The HD800S is probably more natural sounding overall even with its massive soundstage, since the Elear has an unusual soundstage, too. It's almost like having speakers mounted to one's head. Kind of hard to really describe--just have to try it.

Edit: Just realized you were saying the HD800 has these forward treble spots, not the Elear. I actually think there is an upper midrange/lower treble shout to the Elear than I didnt not notice in the HD800S.

I thought that I was the only one that thinks that the Elear has a lower treble shout. When I listen to Bach air in G string the higher notes was very piercing which made me to like the Ether flows better. The G string is actually the lowest pitch string on the violin. 

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:15 PM Post #993 of 6,742
I thought that I was the only one that thinks that the Elear has a lower treble shout. When I listen to Bach air in G string the higher notes was very piercing which made me to like the Ether flows better. The G string is actually the lowest pitch string on the violin. 

The shout is there but I don't find it desagreable, also it seems to be more noticeable with certain amps. With the Mojo it is pretty obvious, but with my 2qute connected to a Musical Fidelity X3 it desapears almost completely.

I am enjoying the Elears very much. They certainly are not as good a my LCD-4s but very satisfactory nevertheless.

Oct 13, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #994 of 6,742
I have stated this elsewhere and will state it again ...

This headphone is begging to be modded,
because it has a structure frame similar to an 800,
yet it has a fairly small inner diameter opening in the pads...
You get some big inner diameter pads on these, and watch The Sound stage grow and the bass tilt even out..(!)

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #995 of 6,742
Not sure how many of you are still looking for cables but I had one built by LQi Cables on eBay. I contacted them and had them modify the cable in this listing: 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172089182772?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I asked them to use the PlusSound connectors as opposed to their own because I preferred the look of the PlusSound connectors. I also had the cable terminated with a straight 2.5mm TRRS balanced connection and had them make a 2.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm TRS adapter (just like the one for my Fidue Sirius). The PlusSound connectors and the adapter pushed the price up to $220. Otherwise, the cable would have only been $150. This is the second cable I purchased from them and again, I am very satisfied and feel the price is justified. I should also mention that is was only a one day turnaround after they got the connectors from PlusSound.

I haven't done an A/B comparison between this and the stock cable yet but the sound seems a little wider and more musical. It could be a honeymoon effect though. Eitherway, I'm never using the stock cable again :atsmile:  

I intend to chase these two versions:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultimate-Pure-6N-Solid-Silver-Focal-Elear-McIntosh-MHP1000-upgrade-cable-/172285597143?hash=item281d0595d7:g:aE4AAOSwGXtXhj6w

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BALANCED-OCC-Copper-Cable-FOCAL-Elear-Headphones-black-/172371724739?hash=item282227c9c3:g:LmkAAOSwZJBX~Uwc

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #996 of 6,742
I have stated this elsewhere and will state it again ...

This headphone is begging to be modded,
because it has a structure frame similar to an 800,
yet it has a fairly small inner diameter opening in the pads...
You get some big inner diameter pads on these, and watch The Sound stage grow and the bass tilt even out..(!)

I won't be considering this anytime soon given the warranty that comes with my purchase through The Source AV.

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #999 of 6,742
This week I bought the elear. Pre-ordered it from focal website in Europe. Finally this week focal Belgium contacted me that is was available.
Using it with chord mojo. This headphone is very special. But directly out of mojo not the perfect match for my taste. I love using mojo, but prefer to add an amp to the chain.
It is very different from my other headphone: He6. He6 has lower (and different) bass and is more 'open'. But elear is much more engaging. Hard to explain. Elear is fun and you just want to listen to more music. He6 is almost perfect, but perfect can be boring sometimes :rolleyes:

Oct 14, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #1,000 of 6,742
This week I bought the elear. Pre-ordered it from focal website in Europe. Finally this week focal Belgium contacted me that is was available.
Using it with chord mojo. This headphone is very special. But directly out of mojo not the perfect match for my taste. I love using mojo, but prefer to add an amp to the chain.
It is very different from my other headphone: He6. He6 has lower (and different) bass and is more 'open'. But elear is much more engaging. Hard to explain. Elear is fun and you just want to listen to more music. He6 is almost perfect, but perfect can be boring sometimes :rolleyes:

Totally agree. Mojo is better when amped. I found the Alo Continental v5 portable tube amp to be a great match.

Oct 14, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #1,003 of 6,742
Oct 16, 2016 at 7:10 AM Post #1,004 of 6,742
The Beyerdynamic cable is 4 pin XLR.

The 3.5mm plugs on the can side fit well, however, they are smaller and not as tight as the original Elear ones. So it's not the extra lock which holds the cable, but the 3.5mm jack itself.

Thomann is the largest online retailer of music gear in Europe and a Beyerdynamic dealer.
The cable you link to is the Beyerdynamic one.
(They do market lower end stuff under their own t.bone brand.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back