Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jun 2, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #1,937 of 2,126
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:22 AM Post #1,938 of 2,126
Jun 2, 2023 at 9:25 AM Post #1,939 of 2,126
are the clear og and mg pads the same just difference in colour
The main difference between the two are the pads. Pads for MG are 1,2 mm thinner. If you put Clear pads on MG they become 95% the same in sound signature.

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #1,942 of 2,126
Hi, i noticed a video (below) showing the differences at sound between og mg mgpro and utopia. I have been shocked as Clear MG seems like a version of clear OG-wrapped with carpet.

Do you guys think so?

They all sound the same to me. Could it be that I'm listening to all the headphones on a You Tube clip through my the speakers on my PC. YT is good for verbal comparisons with reviewers but actual tonal differences and audio of speakers or headphones just cannot be assessed. Waste of 20 odd minutes.

Jul 11, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #1,943 of 2,126
They all sound the same to me. Could it be that I'm listening to all the headphones on a You Tube clip through my the speakers on my PC. YT is good for verbal comparisons with reviewers but actual tonal differences and audio of speakers or headphones just cannot be assessed. Waste of 20 odd minutes.
YT is affecting all sound records there. Seems like mg pro and og are alike but mg is terrible in comparison. The sound characteristics of mg is exactly the same as what a user here said. No air/sparkle at all

Post in thread 'Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-mg-review-measurements.956702/post-16793329

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2023 at 12:06 PM Post #1,944 of 2,126
YT is affecting all sound records there. Seems like mg pro and og are alike but mg is terrible in comparison. The sound characteristics of mg is exactly the same as what a user here said. No air/sparkle at all

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-mg-review-measurements.956702/post-16793329
I don't look at readings, mainly the technical side goes over my head. It's the same with speakers and amps. I trust my ears even though they are getting on a bit. as far as the MG goes they are my first Focals and I like their presentation. To me they have plenty of air and give a very good soundstage. They are good in the treble which, like my Denon AH-D9200s seem to push the frequencies that people of my age (early 70s) seem to lose. That's where I need 'sparkle' and both headphones give me it. I suppose a lot will depend on what is driving them which in my case is a Lehmann Linear.

I do find that with poor recordings that both the MGs and the Denons can sound harsh which can call for a different headphone in the form of my Oppo PM1s. We are all different and prefer different audio responses. I think one of the MGs strong points is on male vocals. James Taylor as an example sounds wonderful on them with terrific timbre, especially on SACD.

If you had to twist my arm between the Denons and the MG I would keep the Denons. It's highly likely I'll audition the higher end Meze later in the year and I'll probably sell the MGs to help finance that purchase.

Jul 12, 2023 at 4:51 AM Post #1,945 of 2,126

well i had both at hand mg and og and i prefer the mg way way more with the dekoni custom stellia pads

i have susvara and caldera as well and the most fun headphone for pleasure is the mg for me, its a really great headphone, the stock pad of mg is holding it back so change its pads

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #1,946 of 2,126
Reading through this thread has me remembering how much I loved the MG. I sold them due to the pads. I loved the color and comfort but something about the Dye used and material made me actually get skin irritation from them. I even tried to wash them and they bled dye so bad I didn't think it was good for how they were made to do that. Now I wish I would have just tried to swap with aftermarket pads. It was definitely an intimate sound, but a sound I loved.

Jul 12, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #1,947 of 2,126
well i had both at hand mg and og and i prefer the mg way way more with the dekoni custom stellia pads

i have susvara and caldera as well and the most fun headphone for pleasure is the mg for me, its a really great headphone, the stock pad of mg is holding it back so change its pads
I have the same pad "setup" for the MG plus, replacing the stock MG cable is absolutely necessary. I went with a Forza but any decent cable will do. The stock cable is truly awful and holds the MG way back, which is why so many regret selling it IMO, especially when they revisit the setup.

Jul 13, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #1,948 of 2,126
I have the same pad "setup" for the MG plus, replacing the stock MG cable is absolutely necessary. I went with a Forza but any decent cable will do. The stock cable is truly awful and holds the MG way back, which is why so many regret selling it IMO, especially when they revisit the setup.
so true as well, i use a silver norne cable

Jul 13, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #1,949 of 2,126
Out of the numerous headphones I've used and sold, I can say without a doubt that I miss these most. Gonna need to get another when money permits.
This is due to pad thickness being different between MG and OG, when people are gonna learn OG and MG sound almost the same with same pads?

If you want MG experience let MG pads on them if you want them a bit brighter and shouty as OG get OG pads.

I understand that a first glance people doesn't know this, you really have to dig to know this stuff.

Jul 17, 2023 at 10:13 AM Post #1,950 of 2,126
Focal Clear MG VS OG - real differences explained

This is a long post aimed for those looking the differences between Focal Clear MG/OG. After a lot of digging, explaining the differences between the too. The main reason for posting this is to share my findings about Clear MG and OG.

TLDR: Focal Clear MG sounds almost the same as the OG. The main difference in between them out of the box is pad thickness.

Keep in mind, before reading, that the stock MG pads are 1.2cm thinner than the OG pads, This is their measurements, MG VS OG out of the box and the ones everyone looks superficially to compare both headphones.

Pad thickness enters the chat...

When Jude measured the MG, in the very beggining, the pads of the MG were the same thickness of the OG, and they were close in the measurements. Check the results and see that this is the same case as HD600 vs HD650 differences.

Resolve measured with the same pad thickness and they were again, very, very close. Resolve did this test specifically to test the differences between the pads.

Crinacle, same test, measured as well and put MG pads on the OG. As the graphs show, they become really close.

Now, after reading about this a lot, Focal changed the pad thickness for the Focal Clear MG at some point, right at the same time they start selling the Clear MG. If this is intentional or not, I don't know. I found some early MG adopters reporting that their MGs came with the same pad thickness the OG had. That's why Crinacle wrote: Padgate? in his review.

Let's say it is intentional by Focal, but it would not be the first time they change the pads for some strange reason, it happened with Elex pads before. To make matters more strange, some people ordered OG pads that came exactly as the MG pads (same material and thickness).

Conclusion: Focal changed the pad thickness in the new MG - and in some newer OG pads as well. Wether this is intentional or due to supplier changes, well we don't know but we can assume it is intentional because Focal MGs are coming with thinner pads and only came with 1.2cm thicker pads in the beginning, a few batchs.

So, if you buy the MGs, and after the pads wear out you buy OG pads (thicker ones), your MG will sound like an OG with small differences (HD600 vs HD650).

Cheers.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back