Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Jul 18, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #1,966 of 2,145
You are missing the point that was reiterated by few posters already. Different pads change MG FQ (I am using Dekoni Stellia Ltd myself), but it does not turn MG into OG. Your posts are implying that the difference is only pads, when it is clearly not.
I'm not implying the difference are only the pads and they'll turn out to be the same if you swap the pads. I'm saying the frequency response will be as the one EVERYONE measured - they'll be closer in frequency response and not too a part, idk where you read that they'll become the same heapdhone. Why did you mention using the Dekoni Stellia, it doesn't have anything with what I'm saying here.

Again: I'm saying if the MG has the same pads as OG they'll become as JUDE MEASURED - MUCH CLOSER IN FREQUENCY RESPONSE.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #1,967 of 2,145
...Again: I'm saying if the MG has the same pads as OG they'll become as JUDE MEASURED - MUCH CLOSER IN FREQUENCY RESPONSE.

I have thoughts on this, and will share them when I've got a little more time. I've discussed some of this in some seminars I've given, but will try to get my thoughts together in this thread. Eventually, I'll be recording a video that's related to a lot of what's being discussed here.

Jul 18, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #1,968 of 2,145
I have thoughts on this, and will share them when I've got a little more time. I've discussed some of this in some seminars I've given, but will try to get my thoughts together in this thread. Eventually, I'll be recording a video that's related to a lot of what's being discussed here.
Looking forward to that!

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:12 PM Post #1,971 of 2,145
Is it obvious that the Clear MG is superior in terms of sound quality/resolution vs that new Meze 109Pro ?

A question
Also interested in any views on this... Was eye-balling the 109's in all black and walnut as my next pair, but now the Clear MG's have put a spanner in the works and looking like the more likely purchase.

Also, anyone who owns the MG's and heard or owned Kennerton Magni? I currently have the Magni and wondering how they compare to the above pairs, especially the MG's... I'm guessing the MG's are, at the very least, far more detailed.

I prefer the aesthetics of the all black and walnut 109's (over the copper, black and walnut and the MG's) but sound is essentially the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,972 of 2,145
Any clue where to get good replacement stock mg pads, the ones that came on mine are different heights. That's why I use my elegia stock pads.
Have you thought about AliExpress... No idea if they compare to the originals, but there's quite a few on there for various prices. That is, if you can't find the originals anywhere...
Pads

Aug 1, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #1,973 of 2,145
Also interested in any views on this... Was eye-balling the 109's in all black and walnut as my next pair, but now the Clear MG's have put a spanner in the works and looking like the more likely purchase.

Also, anyone who owns the MG's and heard or owned Kennerton Magni? I currently have the Magni and wondering how they compare to the above pairs, especially the MG's... I'm guessing the MG's are, at the very least, far more detailed.

I prefer the aesthetics of the all black and walnut 109's (over the copper, black and walnut and the MG's) but sound is essentially the deciding factor.
Don't know about the 109's, I had the empyrean and although good after eq, I found them to warm and bit boring compared to the mg.
They did scale well though and worked with all types of music.

Aug 1, 2023 at 5:42 AM Post #1,974 of 2,145
Focal Focal Mg Review & Measurements

NOTE: If you can't see the embedded video above, please CLICK HERE to see the video.

The new open-back Focal Clear Mg replaces what is perhaps Focal's most-loved headphone. We take a close look at the new Focal Clear Mg, including several measurements from the Brüel & Kjær 5128 hearing simulator. We compare the Clear Mg to the headphone it replaces (Focal Clear), as well other well-known headphones.

Click on the following link for more information about the Brüel & Kjær 5128 hearing simulator mentioned in the video: Brüel & Kjær 5128

Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements - produced by Joe Cwik, Brian Murphy, and Jude Mansilla​

Hearing the original Clear on a visit to Audio46 in NYC was a game-changer for me. I'm still considering the original Clear but will certainly watch the video to learn more about the Clear Mg. Thank you!

Aug 1, 2023 at 8:45 AM Post #1,975 of 2,145
Is it obvious that the Clear MG is superior in terms of sound quality/resolution vs that new Meze 109Pro ?

A question

The Focal has a bolder, warmer sound, while the Meze are more energetic. The 109 pro are efficient and really easy to get engaged with, Focals need a decent amp to really trump the 109 pro in all aspects. Overall the Focals will impress more with dynamics, resolution and texture retrieval as well as stage overall size. The 109 pro remind me of on ear headphone presentation with a enjoyable V shaped sound reminiscent of the good Beyer Tesla drivers dynamics but without the harsh treble. Both handle loud volumes without any problem.

@reg66 the Focal pro models are the same headphones just in black and red

Aug 1, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,977 of 2,145
Great. So the rest of us can also have a more educated opinion on everyones' else opinion. Already loving it.

Hopefully we can also get a fresh take on why measured frequency response differences between pads, on 2D graphs, always seem to show just a fraction of the subjectively perceived difference in sound.

Imo pads' interaction with the listener outer ear and head, affect perceived sound way more and in more ways than what's shown by the pads' measured effect on 2D frequency response grapsh. As in measuring 2D data is not taking advantage of the ear, head and torso simulator capabilities, as 3D or higher dimensonal data would (e.g. CSD).

Aug 1, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #1,978 of 2,145
The Focal has a bolder, warmer sound, while the Meze are more energetic. The 109 pro are efficient and really easy to get engaged with, Focals need a decent amp to really trump the 109 pro in all aspects. Overall the Focals will impress more with dynamics, resolution and texture retrieval as well as stage overall size. The 109 pro remind me of on ear headphone presentation with a enjoyable V shaped sound reminiscent of the good Beyer Tesla drivers dynamics but without the harsh treble. Both handle loud volumes without any problem.

@reg66 the Focal pro models are the same headphones just in black and red
Thanks for this... Hmm, not really sure what to think, some reports say the 109's are superior (mainly 109 owners, but some have both) and vice versa for the MG owners. Not too sure what to think now. Are the 109's more detailed or less than the MG's... Is that what you refer to as resolution? I don't really need the warmth of the focals as I have a tube amp on order for that addition. Also have a reference DAC and amp for detailed, clear listening.

Some say that the MG's can't handle loud volumes due to bass distortion. Don't really do much loud listening but I would want to know it's there if need be. But you're saying they are both fine on those fronts. Perhaps others just got a bad pair...

Hmm choices, choices! I had some Beyer T1 T5 3rd editions and wasn't keen. Would the 109's be similar in any way? Basically I'm looking for a fairly balanced tone overall with plenty of detail... But don't mind if the MG's are only slightly warm, if they tick the boxes as opposed to the 109's.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #1,979 of 2,145
Thanks for this... Hmm, not really sure what to think, some reports say the 109's are superior (mainly 109 owners, but some have both) and vice versa for the MG owners. Not too sure what to think now. Are the 109's more detailed or less than the MG's... Is that what you refer to as resolution? I don't really need the warmth of the focals as I have a tube amp on order for that addition. Also have a reference DAC and amp for detailed, clear listening.

Some say that the MG's can't handle loud volumes due to bass distortion. Don't really do much loud listening but I would want to know it's there if need be. But you're saying they are both fine on those fronts. Perhaps others just got a bad pair...

Hmm choices, choices! I had some Beyer T1 3rd editions and wasn't keen. Would the 109's be similar in any way? Basically I'm looking for a fairly balanced tone overall with plenty of detail... But don't mind if the MG's are only slightly warm, if they tick the boxes as opposed to the 109's.
To my ears Focals are more detailed because of a more balanced tuning and articulated separation. The 109 pro is easier to have fun with I guess, but at the price of refinement. To my ears an taste at least.

Aug 3, 2023 at 6:09 AM Post #1,980 of 2,145
To my ears Focals are more detailed because of a more balanced tuning and articulated separation. The 109 pro is easier to have fun with I guess, but at the price of refinement. To my ears an taste at least.
Sorry to disturb again. Would you say the mg's are vastly more detailed, do the 109s sound veiled in comparison? Or is there not much between them at all...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back