Focal Clear Mg Review & Measurements
Feb 13, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #2,117 of 2,126
I just snagged a pair of these, and so far I love them.
Question: I've read time and time again that the DAC/Amp in the latest Apple laptops is pretty good (and at 55 Ohms, the Clear Mgs shouldn't be too much of a challenge). Does the Apple dongle improve on the laptop that much? My primary space for listening to these is my desk where I have a Fiio K5 Pro, but I'd like a bit more latitude with respect to where I can enjoy them. I'm also considering the Fiio KA11.

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #2,118 of 2,126
I just snagged a pair of these, and so far I love them.
Question: I've read time and time again that the DAC/Amp in the latest Apple laptops is pretty good (and at 55 Ohms, the Clear Mgs shouldn't be too much of a challenge). Does the Apple dongle improve on the laptop that much? My primary space for listening to these is my desk where I have a Fiio K5 Pro, but I'd like a bit more latitude with respect to where I can enjoy them. I'm also considering the Fiio KA11.
Can you hear a sound quality difference between the K5 and laptop? Aside from that I'm sure the laptop has a better audio implementation then the dongle. I've tested mine with an M1 Pro and they sound great.

Not as great as the Mojo 2 but still great!

Feb 22, 2024 at 11:53 PM Post #2,119 of 2,126
So I've had the Clear MG Pro for nearly 3 years now, and in that time I've noticed an odd issue cosmetically with the grills.
Turns out, there is a glue or tape underneath the grill that is exposed along the outer edges of the area where the grill is connected to the rest of the driver cup, almost like wheel spokes. The issue with this exposed glue or tape is it now shows up as these white lines where I am assuming dust and debris have collected over time and stuck to it. I managed to take apart the driver and unlock the outer hexagonal grill to get a closer inspection, and it definitely looks like that's what happened. I like to keep my headphones clean, but now I realize I should have been more careful and left it in the case when not using it or at least covered it with a bag or something. Maybe I'll try to get a small vacuum or something in there eventually, I already tried wiping it down with a damp microfiber cloth but that didn't do much. This is just a cosmetic issue thankfully and doesn't affect the sound (obviously), but I'm still questioning Focal's decision to leave exposed sticky glue under the grills so airborne particles will get stuck to it. I think the Utopia 2022 has this same design considering the similarity to the grills on the MG.

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #2,120 of 2,126
So I've had the Clear MG Pro for nearly 3 years now, and in that time I've noticed an odd issue cosmetically with the grills.
Turns out, there is a glue or tape underneath the grill that is exposed along the outer edges of the area where the grill is connected to the rest of the driver cup, almost like wheel spokes. The issue with this exposed glue or tape is it now shows up as these white lines where I am assuming dust and debris have collected over time and stuck to it. I managed to take apart the driver and unlock the outer hexagonal grill to get a closer inspection, and it definitely looks like that's what happened. I like to keep my headphones clean, but now I realize I should have been more careful and left it in the case when not using it or at least covered it with a bag or something. Maybe I'll try to get a small vacuum or something in there eventually, I already tried wiping it down with a damp microfiber cloth but that didn't do much. This is just a cosmetic issue thankfully and doesn't affect the sound (obviously), but I'm still questioning Focal's decision to leave exposed sticky glue under the grills so airborne particles will get stuck to it. I think the Utopia 2022 has this same design considering the similarity to the grills on the MG.

IMG_1962.JPG

IMG_1964.JPG
Do you think a can of compressed air would be enough to blow away the dust buildup? Maybe a paintbrush or something with soft, small bristles.

Feb 26, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #2,121 of 2,126
I’ve now clocked up 550 hours of listening, paired with my Sony DMP-Z1 player & these are the best headphones i’ve ever owned. My DMP-Z1, is without question, the best audio device i’ve owned & it is a major factor, but i’m hearing details with my Focal Clear MG’s, i’ve never heard before. The resolution, the musical timbre, vocals, all just amazing. The combination is so incredibly addictive, so much so, i’m finding it difficult to try out with my other audio devices. If i do buy any more headphones, Focal’s will be my first consideration.

Mar 23, 2024 at 12:41 PM Post #2,124 of 2,126
What don't you like about its sound?

No, I can't say I don't like your voice. It is quite enjoyable, especially with the small EQ adjustment and WM1AM2. But I've listened to better headphones. For example, Radiance bass quality is better. Arya Organic is better in many aspects. LCD-X instrument separation is more distinct. DT 1990 pro is more detailed. Or HD660S2 mids are more exciting. Clear MG should be paired with a suitable source and sweet EQ touches should be made. It's definitely not a bad headset. It is quite enjoyable and especially technically successful. However, I cannot say that the overall sound quality is perfect. A better Clear XX could be made. For example, it's more musical.

Mar 24, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #2,126 of 2,126
I briefly owned these headphones and absolutely loved their sound, but the ear clamp and hotspot on the top of my bald head were just too much for me.

Anyone have any solutions to these comfort issues? If so, I may need to give these another try…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back