Focal Clear headphones
Feb 28, 2018 at 8:52 PM Post #2,851 of 12,550
please refer here too as someone also said L700 is more dynamic than the clear,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/focal-clear-headphones.861727/page-88#post-13943535
i agree with you that the clear bass should go much deeper than the L700 and is more refined and they extends further, the L700 have known mid-bass rise that make them more or less sound more dynamic. L700 also have intimate sound with unnatural imaging on side of head which make instrument on the side of ear sound larger than they should be...I use the clear with luxman amp which is a very polite amp so that may effected my conclusion on bass punch.
I'm waiting for you to get your Pro's as well. There hasn't been a single conversation discussing the sonic differences between the gray and red ear pads and headband.

:laughing:
Yes apparently they are using silver for the voice coil on the pro with the utopia magnet

Mar 1, 2018 at 3:56 AM Post #2,852 of 12,550
I would love to know why focal use 40 mm drivers?have they tested different size drivers? Surely with the magnets and voice coils they design and make I can't see it being because of speed issues with the driver,they have different size drivers in speakers that change the sound,why not Focal headphones?

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #2,856 of 12,550
Man, Amy Winehouse sounds great on the Clears. Been bouncing around different cans and just got on the Clear thread. Made me want to put them on ha. Glad I did. I forget how well these can do bass. Neutral yet so engaging.
Love Amy Winehouse,jorja Smith reminds of her,I thought the focal utopia was bass light so hoping I'll be more impressed with the clear

Mar 1, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #2,858 of 12,550
Don't think I'll be getting my clear pro soon,weather is terrible so delivery won't be this week,lucky is not my middle name.I'll just have to stare at pics for another week
I will pray that you will not have to settle for Grey/Silver. I've noticed that the word "Professional" on the badging effectively doubles the sound stage across all music formats, but especially DSD.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:12 AM Post #2,860 of 12,550
Hi all,

better Violectric V281 or iFi Pro-iCan for Focal Clear ?
Pro iCan was highly recommended IF I felt the absolute need to go with a tabletop and have the funds.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:42 AM Post #2,862 of 12,550
@paul2qute Where did you get this information? As far as I know the driver is the same as the vanilla Clear. You get different accessories and that's it. Focal's website even states 'copper coil' (https://www.focal.com/headphones/clear-professional/).
It's a joke that we've been going back and forth with since some members started purchasing the Clear Pro instead of the Vanilla Clear. You can read about the sound enhancements that the Black/Red color scheme provide if you read back through some more recent posts.Right now...I believe that I'm the only member able to speak to their existence until others have the Pro's in their hands. Then they too can experience the sonic enhancement of the colors Black and Red for themselves.

Mar 2, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #2,864 of 12,550
Hi all,

better Violectric V281 or iFi Pro-iCan for Focal Clear ?

I recommend inteasd the RME ADI 2 Pro, which is also less expensive (unless you can afford a Dave )

Mar 2, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #2,865 of 12,550
Can you explain why you prefer it?
I didn't say that I prefer it. I said that it was recommended IF I wanted a dedicated tabletop. Sorry if my reply was confusing. Bang for buck, I'm looking at the ifI Micro iDSD Black Label, though it doesn't offer balanced out (but it's portable). The Pro iCan does...but so do many other fantastic options.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back