flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 28, 2021 at 3:43 AM Post #36,976 of 39,414
I’ve now been able to sit down and give this a read. Fantastic review! I can tell that a lot of work went into that.
Thanks!
Yes it did take some work, I won't do this every week, children were away this week-end so I had an unusual window of opportunity for a calm and focused environment :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:39 AM Post #36,977 of 39,414
Since we are near the end of 2021.....what happened to the Vision Ears EVE21? Was it cancelled or something?

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:13 AM Post #36,978 of 39,414
Since we are near the end of 2021.....what happened to the Vision Ears EVE21? Was it cancelled or something?
Considering how massively the EXT and PHoNIX got delayed, I assume we won’t see another EVE until Q1/Q2 2022 at least.

Dec 29, 2021 at 8:30 AM Post #36,979 of 39,414
End of 2021 is flagship headphone time for me and I must say, the only reason I started considering it is acquiring M17 and having enough driving power without the cumbersome requirement of a sedentary setup (appartement is too small for that, will change in 2022 if I move as intended).

Anyway, I have been so deep into IEMs that other than occasional listen of nice stuff like @lafeuill D8000 Pro (ah and @popof94 Susvara out of Egoista 645 remains a religious experience) and my faithful SR2 which is semi open and does get listening time only when kids are at school... it pretty much was all IEMs. Each time I'd pick a headphone I'd tell myself the bigger stage as well as bass impact can't really be mimicked by IEMs much smaller drivers. Just like maybe people with great speakers react when they listen to headphones :p

Anyway, just received Dan Clark Audio Stealth which is my first flagship headphone and a closed one at that so ticking all my boxes. Also the biggest money I have spent on a single piece of audio... but I am so glad I did :heart_eyes: as you can gather from the smile on my profile pic :p Spending more time working remote with COVID certainly helped justify the expense as well. We always find a reason :grin:

Just a few hours with it but if I had to sum up the Stealth it would be : lifelike, effortless, music just flows so naturally with its amazing comfort the Stealth just disappears and there is only the music... as @DarginMahkum said and it the sentence that got me blind purchasing the Stealth is "like increasing the the palette. Like going from 16 shades of red to 256 shades of red, if you think in colors." That's exactly that, infinite nuances that were previously lost are found and it's something to behold... it's not the spectacular in your face kind of headphone but it's spectacular in its refinement... just wow!

I think I have jumped into another rabbit hole, the natural next step in 2022 might be to get a nice amp/dac last year I said the same and already eyed Pro iDSD might happen one year after :p

Anyway very happy camper there!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #36,980 of 39,414
Just a few hours with it but if I had to sum up the Stealth it would be : lifelike, effortless, music just flows so naturally with its amazing comfort the Stealth just disappears and there is only the music... as @DarginMahkum said and it the sentence that got me blind purchasing the Stealth is "like increasing the the palette. Like going from 16 shades of red to 256 shades of red, if you think in colors." That's exactly that, infinite nuances that were previously lost are found and it's something to behold... it's not the spectacular in your face kind of headphone but it's spectacular in its refinement... just wow!

That's a beautiful way to put it-- kind of sums up the planar experience generally because shades of this, though to a significantly lesser degree, are true of the Timeless as well.

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #36,981 of 39,414
That's a beautiful way to put it-- kind of sums up the planar experience generally because shades of this, though to a significantly lesser degree, are true of the Timeless as well.
And I find the IE900 has the same quality to a certain extent so it's also tuning dependent...

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #36,982 of 39,414
And I find the IE900 has the same quality to a certain extent so it's also tuning dependent...

I feel the same about the Zen pro, particularly through the RU6...but the Timeless & Stealth (the only two planars I've experienced so far) display a degree of effortless resolution and naturalness that I have not experienced to the same extent with any other driver type I've heard.

Dec 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #36,983 of 39,414
Anyway, just received Dan Clark Audio Stealth which is my first flagship headphone and a closed one at that so ticking all my boxes. Also the biggest money I have spent on a single piece of audio... but I am so glad I did :heart_eyes: as you can gather from the smile on my profile pic :p Spending more time working remote with COVID certainly helped justify the expense as well. We always find a reason :grin:

IMG_1332.jpg

Stealth is awesome! I fell in love with the mids-rich, thick timbre with an overall organized and spacious soundstage. Vocals not too forward, yet detailed and textured. Bass will slam for the right tracks, and treble is a bit laid-back but with energy at the 6k peak to give it balance.

Glad to hear M17 powers it nicely. iDSD Pro is a great pairing, but even so I can tell it had room to scale because it was not as snappy as the LCD-5 which is easier to drive. A bit of boom/lack of control on the lower frequency transients. Seriously considering getting Stealth to compliment for the easier listen but then I know I'll get deeper into the desktop rabbit hole lol

But since this is an IEM thread, I do have an Indigo with me and will post more impressions soon along with the 3MAX TI (spoiler alert, this DAP is awesome, and Indigo is excellent for its price). :)

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #36,984 of 39,414
IMG_1332.jpg

Stealth is awesome! I fell in love with the mids-rich, thick timbre with an overall organized and spacious soundstage. Vocals not too forward, yet detailed and textured. Bass will slam for the right tracks, and treble is a bit laid-back but with energy at the 6k peak to give it balance.

Glad to hear M17 powers it nicely. iDSD Pro is a great pairing, but even so I can tell it had room to scale because it was not as snappy as the LCD-5 which is easier to drive. A bit of boom/lack of control on the lower frequency transients. Seriously considering getting Stealth to compliment for the easier listen but then I know I'll get deeper into the desktop rabbit hole lol

But since this is an IEM thread, I do have an Indigo with me and will post more impressions soon along with the 3MAX TI (spoiler alert, this DAP is awesome, and Indigo is excellent for its price). :)
You have nice friends that send you stuff 😉

Dec 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #36,985 of 39,414
End of 2021 is flagship headphone time for me and I must say, the only reason I started considering it is acquiring M17 and having enough driving power without the cumbersome requirement of a sedentary setup (appartement is too small for that, will change in 2022 if I move as intended).

Anyway, I have been so deep into IEMs that other than occasional listen of nice stuff like @lafeuill D8000 Pro (ah and @popof94 Susvara out of Egoista 645 remains a religious experience) and my faithful SR2 which is semi open and does get listening time only when kids are at school... it pretty much was all IEMs. Each time I'd pick a headphone I'd tell myself the bigger stage as well as bass impact can't really be mimicked by IEMs much smaller drivers. Just like maybe people with great speakers react when they listen to headphones :p

I think I have jumped into another rabbit hole, the natural next step in 2022 might be to get a nice amp/dac last year I said the same and already eyed Pro iDSD might happen one year after :p

Anyway very happy camper there!
Welcome to the headphone club!

Dec 29, 2021 at 4:49 PM Post #36,986 of 39,414
Dec 29, 2021 at 4:58 PM Post #36,987 of 39,414
Dec 29, 2021 at 8:56 PM Post #36,988 of 39,414
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:27 AM Post #36,990 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back