flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 30, 2021 at 9:07 AM Post #37,006 of 39,414
So I have gone totally YOLO for the end of 2021... here comes the Pro iCAN Signature :heartbeat:
M17 got me into flagship headphone territory getting the Stealth, and now I couldn't resist going all the way... getting to know the Pro ICAN and burning it in...

First impressions are great, the Stealth benefit from the added authority but also I confirm that M17 in desktop mode does a mighty great job already driving Stealth... of course this is another territory yet and I have two Tube modes handy. And also I'll be able to run the EXT and all my IEM collection fun times ahead :p

Dec 30, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #37,007 of 39,414
Woah, Noble Audio Viking made of Damascus Steel (2DD, 4BA, 4EST)! If price is to be believed, it’s around 7500 USD.

1640844414267.jpeg

source: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/noble-audio-the-wizard-returns.684787/post-16736835
They look great, but that price is a big big oof. As other have said I definitely get the idea that noble is definitely about making statement/jewelry pieces first and foremost. Nothing wrong with that, but theres certainly a large premium in price for that making pretty much all their higher end IEMs way out of my price range.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #37,008 of 39,414
Nah there is no way. I prefer a smooth, warm, thick and musical signature. This is definitely not any of these.

I simply wanted to provide fair impressions and not sound overly positive/negative based on first impressions, that‘s why I am going back.:beyersmile:

You just described new FirAudio XE6 iem.

Dec 30, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #37,009 of 39,414
So I have gone totally YOLO for the end of 2021... here comes the Pro iCAN Signature :heartbeat:
M17 got me into flagship headphone territory getting the Stealth, and now I couldn't resist going all the way... getting to know the Pro ICAN and burning it in...

First impressions are great, the Stealth benefit from the added authority but also I confirm that M17 in desktop mode does a mighty great job already driving Stealth... of course this is another territory yet and I have two Tube modes handy. And also I'll be able to run the EXT and all my IEM collection fun times ahead :p
Congratulations. You have just been promoted to Platinum level of Audiophiles Anonymous. If you buy a tube amp, you will get promoted to Titanium level.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #37,010 of 39,414
Dec 30, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #37,011 of 39,414
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #37,012 of 39,414

congrats man !! Have fun and maybe a small comparison between M17 and IFI as to how much do you feel the stealth has been upgraded to ? 😁

Dec 30, 2021 at 1:26 PM Post #37,013 of 39,414
Sounds intriguing. Does the warmth come with good texture and timbre? The latter being my only quarrel with the Erlkönig-speaking of, wonder how the two would compare outside of the likely obvious bass differences :).

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #37,014 of 39,414
Sounds intriguing. Does the warmth come with good texture and timbre? The latter being my only quarrel with the Erlkönig-speaking of, wonder how the two would compare outside of the likely obvious bass differences :).

It does, we are talking about an open back sub-woofer DD pointing into your ear where you hear and feel the bass at the same time. It is thicker and denser at the top (mids/treble), but still has plenty of clarity without bass drowning the rest. That mesh on the inner side of the shell is covering the back of DD driver.

1640891453289.png

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #37,015 of 39,414
It does, we are talking about an open back sub-woofer DD pointing into your ear where you hear and feel the bass at the same time. It is thicker and denser at the top (mids/treble), but still has plenty of clarity without bass drowning the rest. That mesh on the inner side of the shell is covering the back of DD driver.

1640891453289.png
Anxiously awaiting this review!

Dec 30, 2021 at 2:20 PM Post #37,016 of 39,414
Definitely wanting to try that one out! How does it compare with the Phonix/EXT?

Dec 30, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #37,017 of 39,414

1640891453289.png
oh. You just got my interest. Where can we hear one of these IEMs?

Dec 30, 2021 at 4:00 PM Post #37,018 of 39,414

1640891453289.png
This one is very firmly above my comfort zone in terms of price, but that description of the open back sub woofer is interesting. Though I still wonder just how much of that true "feel" you can actually get in an IEM with such tiny drivers moving such relatively small amounts of air. Does this new design of theirs truly do something new and unique that other IEMs havent been able to match? I have heard a number with excellent bass, and some that approximate "feeling" it, but none really truly do, just because again I think its a matter of physics with tiny drivers. Have you heard the full lineup of their new IEMs? What are they each targeting in terms of sound? Broad strokes speaking.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:08 PM Post #37,019 of 39,414

1640891453289.png
I'm shocked how goldy it looks. Much more than the marketing photos. It looks like the same gold as the gold plated plugs...

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #37,020 of 39,414
This one is very firmly above my comfort zone in terms of price, but that description of the open back sub woofer is interesting. Though I still wonder just how much of that true "feel" you can actually get in an IEM with such tiny drivers moving such relatively small amounts of air. Does this new design of theirs truly do something new and unique that other IEMs havent been able to match? I have heard a number with excellent bass, and some that approximate "feeling" it, but none really truly do, just because again I think its a matter of physics with tiny drivers. Have you heard the full lineup of their new IEMs? What are they each targeting in terms of sound? Broad strokes speaking.
Out of interest, have you heard LX (properly amped) or EVO?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back