flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:23 PM Post #37,021 of 39,419
It does, we are talking about an open back sub-woofer DD pointing into your ear where you hear and feel the bass at the same time. It is thicker and denser at the top (mids/treble), but still has plenty of clarity without bass drowning the rest. That mesh on the inner side of the shell is covering the back of DD driver.

1640891453289.png
Can’t wait for the review, especially comparison with EXT and Phonix.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #37,022 of 39,419
Out of interest, have you heard LX (properly amped) or EVO?
Nope. Also still above my comfort zone price wise (though I know I could find a used LX at an acceptable price). Also concerned about fit with those since the og Valkyrie was a terrible fit for me and I imagine the LX has to be bigger in probably every dimension. LX was however one I really wanted to hear, though I have moved on a bit since theres been many other newer releases.

I know they are supposed to be good basshead iems, but I still find it hard to believe they will really be that much better in terms of that tactility than other iems I have heard. I just think there's a limit to what can be achieved with iems. Doesn't stop me from still being interested though.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #37,023 of 39,419
Dec 30, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #37,024 of 39,419
Nope. Also still above my comfort zone price wise (though I know I could find a used LX at an acceptable price). Also concerned about fit with those since the og Valkyrie was a terrible fit for me and I imagine the LX has to be bigger in probably every dimension. LX was however one I really wanted to hear, though I have moved on a bit since theres been many other newer releases.

I know they are supposed to be good basshead iems, but I still find it hard to believe they will really be that much better in terms of that tactility than other iems I have heard. I just think there's a limit to what can be achieved with iems. Doesn't stop me from still being interested though.
I find LX similar to Nio in the bass department. Evo is next level though, for bass quality, quantity and technicalities.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:50 PM Post #37,025 of 39,419
I just think there's a limit to what can be achieved with iems.
You don't need to buy them but you should probably try get a listen because it'll change your world view on what's possible with IEMs.
I find LX similar to Nio in the bass department. Evo is next level though, for bass quality, quantity and technicalities.
EVO can deliver a more visceral bass experience than any full size headphone I've heard, let alone other IEMs. There really is nothing else quite like it.

Dec 30, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #37,026 of 39,419
EVO can deliver a more visceral bass experience than any full size headphone I've heard, let alone other IEMs. There really is nothing else quite like it.
I agree with you on EVO bass. For what I own, it is the best bass response of anything I own. But, I have heard the Abyss 1266 Phi TC and it might be better. I need to get one to hear for a week.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #37,027 of 39,419
I agree with you on EVO bass. For what I own, it is the best bass response of anything I own. But, I have heard the Abyss 1266 Phi TC and it might be better. I need to get one to hear for a week.
That we're even comparing a $3000 IEM to a $6000 Frankenstein headphone that needs a small power plant to perform is testament to what EVO can actually do. @mashuto if you have any doubts, doubt no more.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:14 PM Post #37,028 of 39,419
I found LX on a clear tier above Nio in terms of technicalities. Both have highly elevated bass, but you get more staging, staging, and detail from LX. Big reason why I sold Nio fast.

Agreed on EVO competing with HPs for bass presentation-it might sound more “intimate” by nature of IEM isolation, but the extension, elevation and detail is top tier. I honestly wouldn’t know how to improve on the EVO bass tbh. Gotta give 1266 a try though🤪

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #37,029 of 39,419
That we're even comparing a $3000 IEM to a $6000 Frankenstein headphone that needs a small power plant to perform is testament to what EVO can actually do. @mashuto if you have any doubts, doubt no more.
Well, there is the LCD4 which might have better bass, but the tuning sucks and so does the weight. HE6 OG might also be better.

But, what I think people don't know is that EVO has W9+ DD drivers which we all knew were great. But, the bone conduction driver does something to expand the sense of space that the bass is taking which gives you that subwoofer club experience. I was listening in detail last night and that is what I was hearing.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #37,030 of 39,419
The EVO has bone conduction right? Now I’m really interested in trying that out….Are the EVO and Odin the same in sound signature?

And damnit I just bought an LCD-i4, I’m getting iem ADD all over again

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #37,031 of 39,419
I found LX on a clear tier above Nio in terms of technicalities. Both have highly elevated bass, but you get more staging, staging, and detail from LX. Big reason why I sold Nio fast.
+1. LX improves on every aspect of Nio for me, especially technical ability (which is why I ultimately sold it). It also made Nio's bass sound pillowy and one dimensional by comparison - even though Nio's bass is very good indeed. And then EVO dials it up to 11, though is tuned quite differently from LX from the lower mids up.

Dec 30, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #37,033 of 39,419
The EVO has bone conduction right? Now I’m really interested in trying that out….Are the EVO and Odin the same in sound signature?

And damnit I just bought an LCD-i4, I’m getting iem ADD all over again
No, Odin and EVO have very different signatures. EVO is a basshead IEM with very elevated bass and slightly recessed lower mids relative to Odin. Odin is more reference tuning so the signatures are complementary. They both have the same bass quality with the W9+ subwoofers. Both fantastic.

Some people with sensitivity toward upper mids have a problem with that Odin bump from 1-3k hz and EVO from 1.5-3k hz relative to neutral. I've found that I can address it with tips. Others address it with EQ. Others don't have a problem with it.

graph Odin and EVO.png

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #37,034 of 39,419
Congratulations. You have just been promoted to Platinum level of Audiophiles Anonymous. If you buy a tube amp, you will get promoted to Titanium level.
There is no spoon :p

Seriously it’s just loads of fun!
Expensive but fun before anything else :)

Pro ICAN has tubes as well so I am set for now!

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #37,035 of 39,419
Speaking of bass, I’m going to get my hands on the Xenon 6 from FiR. The last piece I’m missing is a TOTL bass IEM. Evo wasn’t for me, EXT wasn’t fun to wear, so maybe this will be it. At least if the fit sucks I can get it in CIEM. Now, hopefully it’s good!
Call dibs once you list 3 hours after the first listen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back