flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Dec 26, 2021 at 4:12 AM Post #36,961 of 39,414
TT2 can drive Susvara properly, so it should drive 1266 fine. But to me, a tube amp adds so much more to the sound that it worth adding it to your system. Then, you may want to consider adding an Mscaler and a streamer and you are right at the budget target I mentioned earlier. If you don't get there now, you probably will later.
You can say all these things about IEMs that scale too, but let’s not pretend like a 1266TC or any flagship headphone isn’t worth owning unless you drop another 15 grand on other toys :D it’s exactly this kind of elitism that has turned the HP hobby in the most stale, dead and antiquated section of Head-Fi

Dec 26, 2021 at 8:44 AM Post #36,962 of 39,414
You can say all these things about IEMs that scale too, but let’s not pretend like a 1266TC or any flagship headphone isn’t worth owning unless you drop another 15 grand on other toys :D it’s exactly this kind of elitism that has turned the HP hobby in the most stale, dead and antiquated section of Head-Fi

Yep! The IEM hobby is much more afforda... um... (checks price of Trailii/FS/Phonix)... hmm..

Yah but cables for IEMs are definitely chea... (checks price of Orpheus/Centurion)... um...

But they're so easy to drive and you can use a DAP like... (checks price of LP6 Ti)... ☠

I dunno mate, prices at the summit fi level are as egregious as you want them to be in both cases, there's currently more snake oil in the HP arena but it has just been around longer - seems the IEM game is catching on increasingly quickly and may be on track to surpass it given the "fashion" aspect that permeates it. Read an Effect Audio cable description and it reads like the description of high end jewelry more than any piece of audio gear (yes I buy after market cables and hear differences though I limit that to $500). Then there's that Dita cable that had actual oil you can use for it and DAPs increasing in price by $1k+ solely out of chassis material changes. Upcharging for swappable IEM faceplates? Ugh.

And ppl continue to buy those and it seems the more the price increases the more sought after they are... if not already there the IEM industry will soon be equally ridiculous as the rest... if you want it to be that is (using the general you :) )

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #36,963 of 39,414
Yep! The IEM hobby is much more afforda... um... (checks price of Trailii/FS/Phonix)... hmm..

Yah but cables for IEMs are definitely chea... (checks price of Orpheus/Centurion)... um...

But they're so easy to drive and you can use a DAP like... (checks price of LP6 Ti)... ☠

I dunno mate, prices at the summit fi level are as egregious as you want them to be in both cases, there's currently more snake oil in the HP arena but it has just been around longer - seems the IEM game is catching on increasingly quickly and may be on track to surpass it given the "fashion" aspect that permeates it. Read an Effect Audio cable description and it reads like the description of high end jewelry more than any piece of audio gear (yes I buy after market cables and hear differences though I limit that to $500). Then there's that Dita cable that had actual oil you can use for it and DAPs increasing in price by $1k+ solely out of chassis material changes. Upcharging for swappable IEM faceplates? Ugh.

And ppl continue to buy those and it seems the more the price increases the more sought after they are... if not already there the IEM industry will soon be equally ridiculous as the rest... if you want it to be that is (using the general you not Damz :) )
Yeah you can spend as much as you want in the IEM industry now on a single setup, as you could for headphones

I’ve been oddly satisfied by the A12t with the N6II R01 lately, I even cancelled my pre-order for FiR’s Kr5 since that opened up more funds for other hobbies. The Meze Elite is my most recent purchase and I’m still absolutely loving that but it’s been a while since I’ve been actively involved in the hobby and the releases

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:59 AM Post #36,964 of 39,414
Yeah you can spend as much as you want in the IEM industry now on a single setup, as you could for headphones

I’ve been oddly satisfied by the A12t with the N6II R01 lately, I even cancelled my pre-order for FiR’s Kr5 since that opened up more funds for other hobbies. The Meze Elite is my most recent purchase and I’m still absolutely loving that but it’s been a while since I’ve been actively involved in the hobby and the releases
Is it still worth getting a12t after having a18t and a18s ?

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:21 AM Post #36,965 of 39,414
Is it still worth getting a12t after having a18t and a18s ?
Definitely, if I could only own one of the three I think I’d go with the A12t. 18S is a little more punchy and U shaped, while the 18t is more resolving

Dec 26, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #36,966 of 39,414
Can someone compare EXT to Elysian X and Annihilator? Only comparison I havent seen, most interested in mid and sub bass compariaons.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #36,967 of 39,414
Can someone compare EXT to Elysian X and Annihilator? Only comparison I havent seen, most interested in mid and sub bass compariaons.
EXT has the most mid and sub bass quantity out of the 3. X has a sub bass focus and Annihilator has a mid bass focus.

Both X and Annihilator have a fairly dry bass response that goes more for speed rather than texture. They both have a noticeable cut (roll off) on each end of their bass response. X has a mid bass dip which makes most of its mid bass hits quite light but with more sub bass rumble. Annihilator has good mid bass punch but lacks the extension into sub bass regions.

EXT has a fuller, thicker and more textured mid and sub bass that sacrifices a bit of speed by comparison to the Elysian’s, but I wouldn’t call it slow bass in an overall sense. If I were to choose one purely for bass, the EXT would be a no-brainer.

Dec 26, 2021 at 2:39 PM Post #36,968 of 39,414
Of all the things that come to mind slow bass is definitely not what I hear with the EXT but I have not heard the Elysian

Dec 27, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #36,969 of 39,414
Dec 27, 2021 at 9:36 PM Post #36,970 of 39,414
EXT has the most mid and sub bass quantity out of the 3. X has a sub bass focus and Annihilator has a mid bass focus.

Both X and Annihilator have a fairly dry bass response that goes more for speed rather than texture. They both have a noticeable cut (roll off) on each end of their bass response. X has a mid bass dip which makes most of its mid bass hits quite light but with more sub bass rumble. Annihilator has good mid bass punch but lacks the extension into sub bass regions.

EXT has a fuller, thicker and more textured mid and sub bass that sacrifices a bit of speed by comparison to the Elysian’s, but I wouldn’t call it slow bass in an overall sense. If I were to choose one purely for bass, the EXT would be a no-brainer.
I very much like the mid bass of the A18t, I like my thumpy punches. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate not having it with the X. I was pretty much sold on the X but this is giving me 2nd thoughts.

Dec 27, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #36,971 of 39,414
So... it took me even more time than I would have imagined... and it's only a two IEM shootout, @flinkenick had 17 (oh....my....god... I think nobody will match this for a loooonnnggg while).

Still probably the biggest write I ever did... very ambitious and I hope I was up to the huge task :p
https://iem.reviews/2021/12/27/vision-ears-elysium-vs-ext-brother-in-arms/

I’ve now been able to sit down and give this a read. Fantastic review! I can tell that a lot of work went into that.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:03 PM Post #36,972 of 39,414
I very much like the mid bass of the A18t, I like my thumpy punches. I don't know if I'll be able to tolerate not having it with the X. I was pretty much sold on the X but this is giving me 2nd thoughts.
Dude I haven’t seen you in a while…and we both talked a bunch years ago about how much we loved the A18t.

Trust me… you need to try the traillii.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:12 PM Post #36,973 of 39,414
Dude I haven’t seen you in a while…and we both talked a bunch years ago about how much we loved the A18t.

Trust me… you need to try the traillii.

Oh I will definitely hear the traillii but i'll have to find someone to let me demo it first. If It's as good as they say I'll buy one. Good to hear from you, been focused on my new career.

Dec 27, 2021 at 10:43 PM Post #36,974 of 39,414
Yeah, In that case I’d say it’s not worth a blind buy unfortunately. As @toaster suggested, a Traillii demo’s probably worth aiming for instead.

Dec 27, 2021 at 11:51 PM Post #36,975 of 39,414
Oh I will definitely hear the traillii but i'll have to find someone to let me demo it first. If It's as good as they say I'll buy one. Good to hear from you, been focused on my new career.
Cheers, man!

Hope all is well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back