flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #27,856 of 39,414
All three issues are what I hear when I pair the ELYSIUM with a portable DAP. They're alleviated completely (apart from the third one) when I hook it up to a desktop amp like SMSL's SP200 or M500; not even the price-y stuff. Of course, the flaws would then become "Needs desktop amp to sound its best". But, if you do ever find yourself curious as to what the ELYSIUM can potentially sound like, it's not a bad experiment to try.
What would account for this though? I primarily use my N8 and if I put the volume in the 30’s that is loud, it is usually in the 20’s on high gain and the Ely is alive. If I already have the volume at probably less than 1/3 of what the N8 can do, why would the power of a desktop setup be any better ( in this question let’s assume same or similar DAC quality and obviously not an amp that costs mega money as that should sound better ). Tks.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #27,857 of 39,414
Did I ever mention that I think of the Final A8000 as the best IEM for classical music? And does anybody share this feeling? I wouldn't know any other IEM that can create such a spatial environment and layers of music while being so dynamic and fast. I think of it as the Utopia of IEMs. But its an acquired taste given its tonality, and works best with classic. I am currently listening to a harpsichord concert and I honestly prefer the A8000 to the Utopia.

Saying that, this all came up while comparing stuff to the Odin ... which is definitely the better allrounder. But the A8000 is not to be underestimated.

Feb 25, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #27,858 of 39,414
All good points and ^ is absolutely true to a degree-- however imho once you're north of $1K it comes down more to personal taste, priorities and synergy than simply throwing money at something until you've got "the best". The right synergy between gears can add a kilobuck or two to the perceived worth of your setup. Further, beyond a point $$ seems to get you technical prowess more than anything and I've learned for myself that that doesn't necessarily result in a more enjoyable listening experience to me. Often when I read a review of a super expensive piece of gear it's almost always framed in terms of things like detail, staging, bass, treble quality etc....but for me personally if those those things don't contribute to an overall feeling of emotional engagement and being swept off one's feet then I tend to lose interest pretty quick. As such I'm not convinced there exists anything out there at any price point that will necessarily meet my needs and wants more than what I have now...but it took me a long time of trial and (mostly) errors and lots of $$ to get there. The journey has been fun though and made eminently easier by all the sage council I've received from people in this thread which is, imho, pound for pound the one of the two best places on the internet to come for advice around portable audio.
Great points. For me, while I always want my speakers and IEM’s to be able to provide me with the musical “details” so to speak, it is and has always been the timbre of the sound that is the most important to me. And this is where the Erlk continues to impress me above all other IEM’s. When you get to try it, just listen, don’t compare right away. Just see if you can get into the music and after a day or so of this then go back to Ely or anything else and see if you miss it’s sound. I did this in reverse with the Thummim on a jazz album and thought it was terrific. I then immediately played the same track and then album using the Erlk at the same volume level. I was shocked at how much more I preferred the Erlk, and this after I was writing how great the Thummim sounded on this album ( it was Corea’s Forever album ).

As for being swept off your feat, listen to a top 2-Channel system or fall in love. Not sure which one will cost you more! Enjoy.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #27,859 of 39,414
Great points. For me, while I always want my speakers and IEM’s to be able to provide me with the musical “details” so to speak, it is and has always been the timbre of the sound that is the most important to me. And this is where the Erlk continues to impress me above all other IEM’s. When you get to try it, just listen, don’t compare right away. Just see if you can get into the music and after a day or so of this then go back to Ely or anything else and see if you miss it’s sound. I did this in reverse with the Thummim on a jazz album and thought it was terrific. I then immediately played the same track and then album using the Erlk at the same volume level. I was shocked at how much more I preferred the Erlk, and this after I was writing how great the Thummim sounded on this album ( it was Corea’s Forever album ).

As for being swept off your feat, listen to a top 2-Channel system or fall in love. Not sure which one will cost you the more! Enjoy.

I'm finally going to hear Erlky soon and I'm going into it with the same attitude I would take when demoing a Lambo or something...as amazing as it may be it's still fundamentally out of my reach. I am very excited to hear it though. I know what you mean about 2-channel but I lack both the $$, living space and lifestyle for it to be possible.

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #27,860 of 39,414

As for being swept off your feat, listen to a top 2-Channel system or fall in love. Not sure which one will cost you more! Enjoy.

In my case, love, especially its end, is way more costly!

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:10 PM Post #27,861 of 39,414
I’m hoping to hear from Andrew at Musicteck that the final x DITA Shichiku.Kangen will be ready to order very soon ... I’m definitely in. 😁

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #27,862 of 39,414
That is an interesting faceplate. I like it.
It looks better in real life, but is very difficult to capture in a picture because of how it sparkles. I actually would have loved to have had the demo of the signature edition over, as that looks really nice as well. Like dragon scales:

1614272988292.png

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #27,865 of 39,414

Chick died on 9th of February 2021. I'm deeply saddened about that.
He is one of my most preferred jazz pianist, besides Brad Mehldau, young Herbie ...

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #27,866 of 39,414
I tested empirically and concluded that it still works. I sent the data to your post. :grin:

My ad blocker is the culprit for the disappearing Like, whitelisted Head-Fi.

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #27,867 of 39,414
What would account for this though? I primarily use my N8 and if I put the volume in the 30’s that is loud, it is usually in the 20’s on high gain and the Ely is alive. If I already have the volume at probably less than 1/3 of what the N8 can do, why would the power of a desktop setup be any better ( in this question let’s assume same or similar DAC quality and obviously not an amp that costs mega money as that should sound better ). Tks.

I touched on this a bit on the VE thread, but I believe it has to do with the extra headroom or potential. I have to push my LPGT to about 45% volume to get the ELYSIUM loud, and it always sounds a tad compressed dynamically and spatially. Whereas, my SP200 at 15-20% drives the ELYSIUM plenty loud with tons of headroom and effortlessness to its sound. This is about the least scientific way you can say it, but I feel the headphone amp lifts the load a lot easier than the amp circuit in the DAP does, and that's what allows those e-stats to come alive.

Did I ever mention that I think of the Final A8000 as the best IEM for classical music? And does anybody share this feeling? I wouldn't know any other IEM that can create such a spatial environment and layers of music while being so dynamic and fast. I think of it as the Utopia of IEMs. But its an acquired taste given its tonality, and works best with classic. I am currently listening to a harpsichord concert and I honestly prefer the A8000 to the Utopia.

Saying that, this all came up while comparing stuff to the Odin ... which is definitely the better allrounder. But the A8000 is not to be underestimated.

I tried the A8000 in Japan, and I felt it had too much of a lower-midrange dip. It ended up sounding pretty thin and hollow. Though, I can imagine it being good with certain genres and/or scenarios.

Chick died on 9th of February 2021. I'm deeply saddened about that.
He is one of my most preferred jazz pianist, besides Brad Mehldau, young Herbie ...

Yeah, that was upsetting to hear indeed, and Rupert Neve's passing not long after as well. But, as they say, it's not how or when you go, but what you leave behind. They've both certainly left incredible things to remember them by.

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #27,869 of 39,414
I’m hoping to hear from Andrew at Musicteck that the final x DITA Shichiku.Kangen will be ready to order very soon ... I’m definitely in. 😁
5BEB62DC-C1B6-4BE0-A744-434D263C2CC2.png

Totally forgot to share this to you, but it looks like they’re delaying it until April.

More time for me to save lol

Feb 25, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #27,870 of 39,414

I got the A8000 in earlier this week especially for my Masters of Classical Music series, as they came recommended for classical music. So I guess I will find out soon enough. Haven't had time to listen yet though, but very curious about them. :grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back