flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #27,871 of 39,414
5BEB62DC-C1B6-4BE0-A744-434D263C2CC2.png

Totally forgot to share this to you, but it looks like they’re delaying it until April.

More time for me to save lol

Interesting it is getting pushed back another month or so, that may mean I’ll go forward with my VE8 purchase although I was thinking of buying both together so I could negotiate a discount. The two together price wise is entering Traillii territory. 🤔

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #27,872 of 39,414
Any more impressions of oriolus traiili? Thinking of getting a pair and want some more feedback before i pull the trigger. Kept being told it is the best iem in the world. Not one of the best, but the best!! By my local dealer.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #27,873 of 39,414
Any more impressions of oriolus traiili? Thinking of getting a pair and want some more feedback before i pull the trigger. Kept being told it is the best iem in the world. Not one of the best, but the best!! By my local dealer.

best is a dangerous word to use in this hobby, but it’s the “best” I have heard :p

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #27,874 of 39,414

My local dealer told me the best is the Odin. He sells them :ksc75smile:.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #27,875 of 39,414
I don't know about odin! Lol. @aaf evo sold them the first day he got them. 😂

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #27,877 of 39,414
I didn’t care for the Odin but it is definitely not a bad IEM. The tuning just wasn’t for me. I still respected it and understood it’s capabilities.
The start of many a heated arguments on HF: "This, this is good, I just don't like it"

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:56 PM Post #27,879 of 39,414
A few questions for you:

What kind of music do you listen to?
What are the most important sound traits you're looking for in an iem?
What aspects of the music do you like to focus on, or do you mostly like to focus on the big picture?
What's your current top iem?

- - - - - -

the traillii ties the erlky for me on engagement and emotion; the two sound traits i look for most in my listening experience.

some highlights of the bird, based on my personal experience:-

- biggest stage on an iem
- best layering on an iem
- best highs on an iem
- most dd-sounding bass out of ba drivers (and the only ba drivers i've heard that match both impact AND texture of dd drivers...with all the benefits of bas)
- highest level of detail on any iem...maybe tied with erlky...but i think it may beat it due to its comparatively thinner (vs. the erlky...but not at all thin,) notes.

the biggest difference in overall presentation between the erlky and the traillii are that the erlky is more intimate and in your face, with meatier notes, where the bird is more laid back and diffuse.

the fact that the bird is more laid back but still matches the engagement level of the erlky is probably what impresses me most about it.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #27,880 of 39,414
I think 5/5 people I know who have demo'd it who have wound up buying it. And 2/2 who have blind-bought it have had no regrets. Small sample size but relatively large given how niche the accessibility/pricing is.

Looking forward to @hshock76 's impressions versus Infinity, which we both hold in very high regard.

Feb 25, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #27,881 of 39,414
The start of many a heated arguments on HF: "This, this is good, I just don't like it"
why would that start an argument?

i see only two other ways that could have gone:

- to lie and say you like something when you don't (or lie and say you don't like something when you do...but not sure anyone would do that.)
- to actually say something that might start an argument and hate on it unnecessarily

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #27,882 of 39,414
Interesting it is getting pushed back another month or so, that may mean I’ll go forward with my VE8 purchase although I was thinking of buying both together so I could negotiate a discount. The two together price wise is entering Traillii territory. 🤔
That is getting close to a Traillii...

My ears are still set on the FxD S.K tho.

I’m still a photographer first, so I’m gonna enjoy taking photos of the S.K quite a bit lol

Unless I go for a custom designed Traillii like this guy (quite stunning in this colour actually)

ED733430-681B-4269-9EBB-34B3721C8077.jpeg

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #27,883 of 39,414
A few questions for you:

What kind of music do you listen to?
What are the most important sound traits you're looking for in an iem?
What aspects of the music do you like to focus on, or do you mostly like to focus on the big picture?
What's your current top iem?

- - - - - -

the traillii ties the erlky for me on engagement and emotion; the two sound traits i look for most in my listening experience.

some highlights of the bird, based on my personal experience:-

- biggest stage on an iem
- best layering on an iem
- best highs on an iem
- most dd-sounding bass out of ba drivers (and the only ba drivers i've heard that match both impact AND texture of dd drivers...with all the benefits of bas)
- highest level of detail on any iem...maybe tied with erlky...but i think it may beat it due to its comparatively thinner (vs. the erlky...but not at all thin,) notes.

the biggest difference in overall presentation between the erlky and the traillii are that the erlky is more intimate and in your face, with meatier notes, where the bird is more laid back and diffuse.

the fact that the bird is more laid back but still matches the engagement level of the erlky is probably what impresses me most about it.
Thanks @toaster . I mostly listen to all kinds of music from every genre. I have many totl iems and also oriolus Percivali JP which is oriolus previous totl. Just wonder if the traiili have a similar house sound as Percivali as most people say oriolus have more laid back warmer tuning. Based on your feedback it might have some oriolus dna sound signature. Now might have to get a pair to find out. Thanks

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #27,884 of 39,414
That is getting close to a Traillii...

My ears are still set on the FxD S.K tho.

I’m still a photographer first, so I’m gonna enjoy taking photos of the S.K quite a bit lol

Unless I go for a custom designed Traillii like this guy (quite stunning in this colour actually)

ED733430-681B-4269-9EBB-34B3721C8077.jpeg
Oof. I went customized but didn't realize how awesome that shade of blue is, especially with the back shell being dark to stay in line with the carbon-fibre cable sleeve.

I went all-black everything. Like the empty hole in my wallet :unamused:

Feb 25, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #27,885 of 39,414
Thanks @toaster . I mostly listen to all kinds of music from every genre. I have many totl iems and also oriolus Percivali JP which is oriolus previous totl. Just wonder if the traiili have a similar house sound as Percivali as most people say oriolus have more laid back warmer tuning. Based on your feedback it might have some oriolus dna sound signature. Now might have to get a pair to find out. Thanks
the bird is my first foray into oriolus' territory, so i can't say for sure if the traillii possesses sonic traits that are similar to its siblings.

however, @Watermelon Boi has you covered on this...here's the last paragraph of his hf review:

There is no doubt to call this an eye-opening experience in terms of sound. I remember someone commenting on Traillii for it to be sounding like Nerva-X, Percivali, and Mellianus combined all together. As someone who extensively listened to Percivalli and as an owner of Nerva-X and Mellianus, I do agree with that statement. If you are ready to spend some serious money and looking for one of the best earphones money could buy or for the ultimate Oriolus sound, Traillii is the one.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/oriolus-traillii-jp.24343/

feel free to reach out if you want to ask me any other questions about the bird...always happy to chat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back