flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 25, 2021 at 4:38 AM Post #27,841 of 39,414
I think we can all agree that getting this question answered is the most pressing issue in head-fi right now
Not just Head-Fi. I've cancelled all work meetings until further notice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Feb 25, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #27,842 of 39,414
I’m going to throw a third option into the mix - does it mean he’s a professional reviewer of “gear” which can be interpreted to mean all sorts (like someone who writes for Stuff or T3 might consider themselves- an all round tech writer vs one who focuses purely on audio)
I think we can all agree that getting this question answered is the most pressing issue in head-fi right now
This is definitely another option!

Feb 25, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #27,844 of 39,414
tenor (6).gif

Breaking news: happening right now at Head-Fi HQ.

Feb 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #27,845 of 39,414
gonna leave here , the best Global Underground mix released back in 2001

still sounds fresh , still manages to get you moving.

Iconic stuff, indeed by the Master.

@Vitaly2017 @Damz87 this is the real sh.it

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #27,846 of 39,414

Attachments

• PXL_20210225_131156658~2.jpg
    PXL_20210225_131156658~2.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Feb 25, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #27,847 of 39,414

@Vitaly2017 @Damz87 this is the real sh.it

Awesome @proedros thanks man - Saved for tomorrow’s listening 😎

Feb 25, 2021 at 8:24 AM Post #27,848 of 39,414
All three issues are what I hear when I pair the ELYSIUM with a portable DAP. They're alleviated completely (apart from the third one) when I hook it up to a desktop amp like SMSL's SP200 or M500; not even the price-y stuff. Of course, the flaws would then become "Needs desktop amp to sound its best". But, if you do ever find yourself curious as to what the ELYSIUM can potentially sound like, it's not a bad experiment to try. :wink:

The funny thing I've always found about the ELYSIUM's midrange is that it achieves all this acclaim without even being emphasised or forward-sounding. I'd argue that its treble has a bit more prominence in the mix (not in terms of dB on a graph, but in perception). I even think that at least 30-40% of the midrange's success is due to the air, speed and space that the treble gives it. I think this shows great confidence on VE's part that their star-of-the-show can shine without being forced upon the listener. And, it also indicates that they're more concerned with the bigger picture. But, yeah, when you do get to the nitty-gritty of it, there's a texture and liquidity to the midrange that's effortlessly immersive; alive or breathing, almost. It's a wonderful achievement, and I hope it'll soon trickle down to VE's more accessible offerings.

Good points. The highlight of Ely for me is still the mids-- in particular the openness, timbre and spacing of instruments. Now that I've had a good deal of time with it I see how (as folks like yourself and @SBranson have stated) the highs play a huge role in enhancing the mid-range. Either way Elysium has the best mids and treble of any IEM I've heard...and the bass leaves absolutely nothing to be desired to my ears.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #27,849 of 39,414
Famous last words indeed. Some time ago I came to the conclusion/drew a line in the sand that I wouldn't ever spend more than ~$2k on a single piece of gear. With that in mind I've been on a quest for a while to find the best possible portable setup for my tastes with those parameters...this cable was the final step and I'm quite happy with it. Honestly even if I were to cross that threshold I'm not sure I'd be able to find a setup that more perfectly suits my tastes as what I have right now. I may consider going custom with Ely at some point, though I will wait to see what VE's next big release will be before doing that.

Jumping off from Rockwell's excellent post, but this is not aimed just at him, or even at him at all....

I've been at this a long time, and am not trying to proclaim myself some kind of infallible guru, but I have have picked up a few things on the way. In no specific order: You don;t know what's possible until you've heard the 'best'. While price does not determine the quality/performance level of gear, usiually the best stuff has the biggest price tags. Most important is to know your own taste and senisibilites by trying lots of gear and discovering real patterns out there, as oppposed to just stereo-typing gear (pun very much intended). I talk to lots of people who try to discover the correct list of heuristics and categories so they can create an algorithm, to decide what gear to buy. Often, they are mislead by trying to base their decisions on irrelevant or misunderstood criteria/aspects, like 'they use the same dac chip, they must sound the same;' kind of BS.....

At the end of the day, what matters is: How good do you want it to be, and how much are you willing and able to spend to get it there. Once those questions are settled, then you can consider what the best way is to split up the budget, between actual specific brands and models, not 'teams' like copper vs spc, tubes v solid state.... In other words, vote for the specific candidate, not just 'the party'

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:50 AM Post #27,850 of 39,414
While price does not determine the quality/performance level of gear, usiually the best stuff has the biggest price tags.

All good points and ^ is absolutely true to a degree-- however imho once you're north of $1K it comes down more to personal taste, priorities and synergy than simply throwing money at something until you've got "the best". The right synergy between gears can add a kilobuck or two to the perceived worth of your setup. Further, beyond a point $$ seems to get you technical prowess more than anything and I've learned for myself that that doesn't necessarily result in a more enjoyable listening experience to me. Often when I read a review of a super expensive piece of gear it's almost always framed in terms of things like detail, staging, bass, treble quality etc....but for me personally if those those things don't contribute to an overall feeling of emotional engagement and being swept off one's feet then I tend to lose interest pretty quick. As such I'm not convinced there exists anything out there at any price point that will necessarily meet my needs and wants more than what I have now...but it took me a long time of trial and (mostly) errors and lots of $$ to get there. The journey has been fun though and made eminently easier by all the sage council I've received from people in this thread which is, imho, pound for pound the one of the two best places on the internet to come for advice around portable audio.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #27,851 of 39,414

Have you heard much of the fabric and FABRIC.LIVE series, proedros? These, GU, DJ-KiCKS and Choice: A Collection of Classics are probably my favourite series of mixes

Also Berghain occasionally releases hi-rez mixes for free. There's one from Vatican Shadow, Fiedel, Luke Slater and Function - all really good (but much more towards the straight techno side of things)

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #27,852 of 39,414
Have you heard much of the fabric and FABRIC.LIVE series, proedros? These, GU, DJ-KiCKS and Choice: A Collection of Classics are probably my favourite series of mixes

Also Berghain occasionally releases hi-rez mixes for free. There's one from Vatican Shadow, Fiedel, Luke Slater and Function - all really good (but much more towards the straight techno side of things)

+1 for DJ Kicks...many of the best and most eclectic mixes I've ever heard.

Feb 25, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #27,853 of 39,414
All three issues are what I hear when I pair the ELYSIUM with a portable DAP. They're alleviated completely (apart from the third one) when I hook it up to a desktop amp like SMSL's SP200 or M500; not even the price-y stuff. Of course, the flaws would then become "Needs desktop amp to sound its best". But, if you do ever find yourself curious as to what the ELYSIUM can potentially sound like, it's not a bad experiment to try. :wink:

The funny thing I've always found about the ELYSIUM's midrange is that it achieves all this acclaim without even being emphasised or forward-sounding. I'd argue that its treble has a bit more prominence in the mix (not in terms of dB on a graph, but in perception). I even think that at least 30-40% of the midrange's success is due to the air, speed and space that the treble gives it. I think this shows great confidence on VE's part that their star-of-the-show can shine without being forced upon the listener. And, it also indicates that they're more concerned with the bigger picture. But, yeah, when you do get to the nitty-gritty of it, there's a texture and liquidity to the midrange that's effortlessly immersive; alive or breathing, almost. It's a wonderful achievement, and I hope it'll soon trickle down to VE's more accessible offerings.

Appreciate your response, deez.

I primarily want to revisit the vocal performance of the ely. But I do believe I've never experienced the ely at its best, and I am curious to hear it. I'd also rather complete all of my desired experiments this go around, lest I find myself having to purchase again when my curiosity inevitably gets the best of me.

Pretty much agree with everything you said in the second paragraph.

:relaxed:

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #27,854 of 39,414
Hi guy would anyone know or have a dignis case patina for sale?
For the sp2000

Seems those are gone!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back