flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 24, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #27,811 of 39,419
Just think what you'll KNOW tomorrow... (quote from the original film Men In Black
lol!

My experience has always been that the more I learn, the less I feel I know. :grin:

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #27,812 of 39,419
lol!

My experience has always been that the more I learn, the less I feel I know. :grin:
True genius is understanding what you don't know.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #27,813 of 39,419
The enormously-talented guys and gals over at Lake Street Dive have just dropped a single from their upcoming album, and it's probably the catchiest song I've heard yet in 2021. I'd argue it's one of their best-produced tracks yet, and I find it hilarious that Bridget Kearney's still rocking her classic upright bass even in a modern pop/funk/gospel track like this. 'Still kills it, though. 'Hope you guys enjoy! :D

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #27,814 of 39,419
It’s worth noting that EE use their own custom transformer, which is what EIVEC is. So, you can’t really compare it apples-to-apples with most other e-stats. But, yeah, the Wraith’s definitely do require a bit of push. They’ve resolved that issue on the ODIN, though.
Any further technical details?

I always thought EIVEC was short of a custom crossover on top of SynX for the estats that integrated the transformers rather than be built from the ground up. My logic is that you would be looking at the power efficiency of both the transformers that feed the drivers and the drivers themselves as being separate factors in the power required to drive them properly. So not just EIVEC being the deciding factor in the driveability of the Odin's estats.

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #27,815 of 39,419
Any further technical details?

I always thought EIVEC was short of a custom crossover on top of SynX for the estats that integrated the transformers rather than be built from the ground up. My logic is that you would be looking at the power efficiency of both the transformers that feed the drivers and the drivers themselves as being separate factors in the power required to drive them properly. So not just EIVEC being the deciding factor in the driveability of the Odin's estats.

EE haven't revealed much about EIVEC, so there aren't any technical details. But, all images of EIVEC online are of a coil in an enclosure, extremely similar to the transformers you'd see on Sonion's e-stats. It's also why they were able to customise the transformer-to-driver ratio on both the Wraith and ODIN. I believe both in-ears have a single transformer powering all four e-stats. When I said EE resolved "it" on the ODIN, I was speaking to both the new generation of e-stats, as well as their continued work on EIVEC. Again, I can't speak to how it all works beyond speculation, but I'm just saying that EIVEC should also be considered as a factor beyond just the number of drivers and all that.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #27,816 of 39,419
EE haven't revealed much about EIVEC, so there aren't any technical details. But, all images of EIVEC online are of a coil in an enclosure, extremely similar to the transformers you'd see on Sonion's e-stats. It's also why they were able to customise the transformer-to-driver ratio on both the Wraith and ODIN. I believe both in-ears have a single transformer powering all four e-stats. When I said EE resolved "it" on the ODIN, I was speaking to both the new generation of e-stats, as well as their continued work on EIVEC. Again, I can't speak to how it all works beyond speculation, but I'm just saying that EIVEC should also be considered as a factor beyond just the number of drivers and all that.
Gotcha, thanks for clarification!

Was hoping you'd be privy to more details as an insider of sorts.

Any word when that full Odin review is coming? Haven't been motivated to get to the last couple impressions on my plate lately.

Feb 24, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #27,817 of 39,419
Gotcha, thanks for clarification!

Was hoping you'd be privy to more details as an insider of sorts.

Any word when that full Odin review is coming? Haven't been motivated to get to the last couple impressions on my plate lately.

The write-up's fully done. It just needs pictures now. Given my current schedule, I'd probably say we're a week or two out. I've got one or two reviews to share in-between now and then. :wink:

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #27,818 of 39,419
The write-up's fully done. It just needs pictures now. Given my current schedule, I'd probably say we're a week or two out. I've got one or two reviews to share in-between now and then. :wink:
Ooooooh pictures

Feb 24, 2021 at 5:06 PM Post #27,819 of 39,419
Excited for this!! And pictures!!!

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:05 PM Post #27,821 of 39,419
...anddd ely on the way.

need to confirm a few things...

🤔

Feb 24, 2021 at 7:12 PM Post #27,822 of 39,419
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #27,824 of 39,419
It will stay in your collection for sure :sunglasses:
doubtful.

although its vocal presentation has haunted me since i first encountered it, there are a couple of issues that will likely keep me from holding onto the ely...first of all, i now own the erlky and the traillii.

second, i have a few nits to pick with the ely...

1) stage is a bit on the small side
2) treble is a bit on the harsh side
3) bass is a bit on the light side (for certain genres)
*compared to ultra-totl gear

it's true all of these things can be somewhat enhanced or addressed with a combination of cable/source tweaking. however, when there exist a couple of particular iems that more or less deliver on 100% of what you're looking for, and they also handily beat everything else you've ever heard, you admittedly become a bit jaded.

that said, sometimes you need to put certain thoughts to rest, and there's only one way to settle my feelings about the vocal presentation of the ely; the primary reason why i am revisiting this unique iem.

that said, the ely remains tied with the lxse for me, and these two remain my top second-tier iems behind the erlky and trailli. this means i still hold the ely in quite high regard, and i am very eager to spend some more time with it...

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2021 at 9:45 PM Post #27,825 of 39,419

Users who are viewing this thread

Back