flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 23, 2021 at 4:53 PM Post #27,781 of 39,414
For now I am using clear Final E-tips because I get the best fit using those with my Phantom. I would like to try Spiraldots one day, but never found them where I could easily order them (for a fair price).
I just received a set of Spiral Dots (not the ++ ones) from MTMT, but they don’t fit me at all. I used only one of the three pairs for a minute, and wiped them off well. They are useless to me. If you want, drop me a PM and I will send them to you free of charge. We live in the same country, so you should have them soon.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #27,782 of 39,414
Feb 23, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #27,783 of 39,414
I just received a set of Spiral Dots (not the ++ ones) from MTMT, but they don’t fit me at all. I used only one of the three pairs for a minute, and wiped them off well. They are useless to me. If you want, drop me a PM and I will send them to you free of charge. We live in the same country, so you should have them soon.
I am using the same one on the Wraith. So do check them out @Wyville 😀

This community is really nice.

Feb 23, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #27,784 of 39,414
Considering the Ely also benefited with more power. Imagine having to supply power to four of those ESTs.
Yes, I only had a couple of minutes with the Ely and my M8, but I had it at turbo 70, during my week with the Ely I found they needed much more power than the VE Meister, V8, MEST, or the Nanna.

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:10 PM Post #27,785 of 39,414
Based on the specs I found, WM1A/Z DAPs are rated at only 30mW (@32ohm, 3.5mm SE) and 125mW (@32ohm, 4.4mm BAL), they are underpowered. Also, some manufacturers, like A&K, specify the output as Vrms without load, so the actual output power with a load will be lower. And as you guys all aware, just because it sounds loud, doesn't mean it is driven properly to their full potential :wink:

It is usually maximum power quoted, and i find that DAPs like the PAW 6000 lead me to believe that some other products' power ratings are somewhat optimistic....

Feb 23, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #27,786 of 39,414
The Wraith need a ridiculous amount of power. Even the M8 on turbo was not enough to kick the estats into gear. Properly driven they did sound really good and very spacious.
The Wraith takes the crown for the iem with the lowest volume on high gain at a jaw dropping 30 on the 1A a balanced (For contrast, 30 on low gain off the 3.5 is Andro listening volume for me). I'm not sure whats going on, I loved the Wraith on high gain on the 1A so for me at least power doesn't seem to be an issue in that regards.
Considering the Ely also benefited with more power. Imagine having to supply power to four of those ESTs.
I think the number of transformers/power supply would also affect it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:16 PM Post #27,787 of 39,414
This Leo II Octa on Elysium is something else. I notice a marked increase in clarity, transparency, depth of stage, top and bottom definition & extension...it really is something else. Perhaps it's all placebo, but I'll take it.

Feb 23, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #27,788 of 39,414
What I can say is when I had Trio and Noir on hands at same time.
My trios wanted a good 5 to 10% more volume then noirs. I think its because of LiD.

I found noir to be easier to drive and a more sensitive to any changes in the chain. To me its a good thing as you get a more fidel and transparent sound so you can easily pick what changes with each gear you swap.
Both can be driven from an iPhone with no issue let alone a top DAP. There should be no issue driving either from any good DAP.

When you had them, were you not still below 50% output? Tks.

Feb 23, 2021 at 11:11 PM Post #27,789 of 39,414
Both can be driven from an iPhone with no issue let alone a top DAP. There should be no issue driving either from any good DAP.

When you had them, were you not still below 50% output? Tks.

I would say it was around 65% hard to say exactly by memory definitely above 50% for both

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #27,791 of 39,414
I would say it was around 65% hard to say exactly by memory definitely above 50% for both

On your Sp2000? I would have thought less. Still, there is more than enough room for more power if it was needed.
Just to add one more data point, I have been using SP2000 at 48% volume with my Noir for all the times when I still had the Noir with me.

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:18 AM Post #27,792 of 39,414
The Wraith takes the crown for the iem with the lowest volume on high gain at a jaw dropping 30 on the 1A a balanced (For contrast, 30 on low gain off the 3.5 is Andro listening volume for me). I'm not sure whats going on, I loved the Wraith on high gain on the 1A so for me at least power doesn't seem to be an issue in that regards.

I think the number of transformers/power supply would also affect it.

It’s worth noting that EE use their own custom transformer, which is what EIVEC is. So, you can’t really compare it apples-to-apples with most other e-stats. But, yeah, the Wraith’s definitely do require a bit of push. They’ve resolved that issue on the ODIN, though.

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:55 AM Post #27,793 of 39,414
What I can say is when I had Trio and Noir on hands at same time.
My trios wanted a good 5 to 10% more volume then noirs. I think its because of LiD.

I found noir to be easier to drive and a more sensitive to any changes in the chain. To me its a good thing as you get a more fidel and transparent sound so you can easily pick what changes with each gear you swap.
Yes Fourte/Noir are definitely easier to drive than Trio/Nio. Not by much, about 5% like you say. Fourte/Noir is loud enough at 40/100 low gain balanced (Turbo) on the R8. Trio/Nio 42-45. Legend X needs high gain at the same settings to get to the same volume, but still well below 50%.

Feb 24, 2021 at 1:12 AM Post #27,795 of 39,414
Any rumors of upcoming top shelf iems this year?

The past couple years have been two of the best years for IEMs ever. 64 Audio has been teasing something new coming out and I'm quite excited for VE's EVE 21 and the thought that they're going to release a followup to Erlkonig. Beyond that I'm not really aware of anything major.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back