flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #23,221 of 39,414
i did the same bro , made mix tapes of the radio shows , and tried to do some edits before/affter the dj started/stopped talking

wow you took me 30-35 years back now , but the love for music still remains intact & strong
The good times when I had to charge my AA batteries every night and it would get me through the day.
Started using minidisc in college and then MP3 players (iRiver) came out, and finally the world of iPod. I think I still have that 8gb iPod somewhere. Even had a Zune at one time (terrible user interface).

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #23,222 of 39,414
Quick question, is the Hiby R5 meh compared to everything else? I'm really looking for something pocketable since my R2R2K bricked itself
I use Jotunheim at work (If I ever get back to my physical work place), N6ii at home and the Hiby R5 for walks. It is so pocketable that I rarely get stopped anymore by female dog walkers wondering what I have in my pocket!

On a serious note can the R5 compete in a perfect listening environment with the N6ii? No.

That being said when out on a walk with all the ambient noise and lack of interest in my DAP, I am a HUGE fan of the R5 for on the go! The price to quality is amazing!! And if I drop it, I will not cry like my toddler does over any spilt milk!

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:32 PM Post #23,223 of 39,414
i did the same bro , made mix tapes of the radio shows , and tried to do some edits before/affter the dj started/stopped talking

wow you took me 30-35 years back now , but the love for music still remains intact & strong
Speaking of cassettes here is a blast from the past. I found this briefcase the other day in the bowels of a room that is rarely entered.

B6C211CF-24CF-4C24-9681-05DE51621A51.jpeg
53CE8CAB-4BC6-441A-89EE-44AB251B6345.jpeg
D2F8B22B-6B1E-48CF-A9E7-D824356D5EAC.jpeg

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #23,224 of 39,414
Thanks! I probably won't have a chance to audition the RME because I have yet to find it at a brick and mortar store in the Netherlands and don't know anyone who owns it. I can only find it online.

The Heddphone I know very little about. I have seen a lot of positive comments, but also saw that it was huge and heavy (718g). ZMF are already quite heavy, which is something I do worry about because I tend to be quite sensitive to that. So going straight for one of the biggest and heaviest cans around would be a risk. Plus, I would prefer closed back (I think...). Sound wise I think the ZMF Atticus and Eikon are most likely to fit my preferences, while in terms of price, design and ease of driving the Focal Elegia keeps popping up, with the Tago Studio T3-01 as a wildcard. Of course if money was no object I would go for the Stellia and call it a day. :grin:

You can order the RME from Thomman, give it a spin, and then if you don´t like it just return it...
As for the Focals, i owned the Elegia´s, upgraded to the Stellias, and now the Heddphone...can´t get better than this IMO

Jul 10, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #23,225 of 39,414
The good times when I had to charge my AA batteries every night and it would get me through the day.
Started using minidisc in college and then MP3 players (iRiver) came out, and finally the world of iPod. I think I still have that 8gb iPod somewhere. Even had a Zune at one time (terrible user interface).
Zune to Rockboxed Clip Zip which would record FM stations. Sold Zune and still have my Clip Zip. I am still impressed with the Rockboxed Clip Zip

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #23,229 of 39,414
This has turned into the nostalgia thread
Kinda, but I don't really have Zune nostalgia, I think I was probably already 40 when that came out. Lol

For me nostalgia is a cabinet turntable or 3 TV channels, and party line home phones

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:29 AM Post #23,230 of 39,414
Jul 11, 2020 at 3:18 AM Post #23,231 of 39,414
ah, i started with walkmans from Sony and Akai, spent a lot of time recording songs to 100s of cassettes from the radios and my dads Sansui Stereo stack he had from 80s. I dont remember having my own discman, but i borrowed them from friends, i loved collecting cassettes, seemed more safe than scratching the CDs!

First real digital player I had and still have is Cowon S9, that little thing is amazing! I did want Zune or Ipod, but it was outta my budget :D

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:17 AM Post #23,233 of 39,414
Speaking of cassettes here is a blast from the past. I found this briefcase the other day in the bowels of a room that is rarely entered.

B6C211CF-24CF-4C24-9681-05DE51621A51.jpeg53CE8CAB-4BC6-441A-89EE-44AB251B6345.jpegD2F8B22B-6B1E-48CF-A9E7-D824356D5EAC.jpeg
Hehe, loving this trip down memory lane with a good cup of coffee atm :grin:

Started with vinyl as a kid, moved on to cassettes. Taping from radio at first and later on from vinyl (which I hired from some massive library collection).
I gave all my vinyl away (not the smartest move, now I think of it) at some point, but I know that I still have boxes full of cassettes, somewhere in the attic.
I also used a Sony cassette player, and a discman after that. And look what I just found in my closet....
20200711_103337.jpg

This was my first dap, probably around 20-25 years old now. I used it when I commuted a lot for work and didn't have a car.
Still a beauty imho :blush:

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #23,234 of 39,414
Yes sir, a USD400 copper cable is the proper introduction to the beautiful world of Brise Audio from Japan.

https://www.headphonesty.com/2020/07/review-brise-audio-str7-se/

STR7SE-07.jpg

Brise Audio is a brand that've always piqued my interest. Their philosophy of optimising shielding vs. the core materials themselves is pretty unique. I particularly enjoyed their JH cable I tried in Japan a couple years back, though I couldn't recall which model it was exactly. Their "interesting" naming scheme certainly didn't help. :D In any case, 'happy to see some more Brise love on the forums.

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:49 AM Post #23,235 of 39,414
4.4 for iems, no need for streaming or other wireless media, mainly considering portability and budget. Seems like the R5 is a good choice to fit those things.

R5 sound is just OK, actually close to M11 (but not on the level of M11Pro). R5 is currently the best price/performance full android dap for $299 considering it uses the same fast processor and other digital guts as R6Pro. But if you want something even smaller and don't mind ddhifi 4.4mm to 2.5mm "hammer" adapter, hidizs ap80 pro is surprisingly good, even their aluminum base model. Ironically, I'm often use it as a wireless transport for r2r2k red since I can't stomach the interface.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back