flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 10, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #23,206 of 39,414
Sometimes too many choices are almost as restricting as too few choices.
Absolutely! I actually think too many choices is far more restricting than too few choices. It is like restrictions stimulating creativity. It feels like a contradiction, but isn't. Because of my reviewing I have a lot of gear lying around and it just makes it more difficult to sit down and enjoy my music because I spend too much time thinking about what IEMs I want to use. :sweat_smile:

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:48 AM Post #23,207 of 39,414
Oh and apologies for any random bursts of posting. Signed off work for two weeks with a bad leg (doc thinks it's either a muscle tear or cartelidge or both). Wouldn't mind but it's on the leg I had the operation on to stop it dislocating when I was younger. Annoyingly I had just about settled back into routine back at work when this all started. Waiting for an x-ray next fortnight or so.

Jul 10, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #23,208 of 39,414
Oh and apologies for any random bursts of posting. Signed off work for two weeks with a bad leg (doc thinks it's either a muscle tear or cartelidge or both). Wouldn't mind but it's on the leg I had the operation on to stop it dislocating when I was younger. Annoyingly I had just about settled back into routine back at work when this all started. Waiting for an x-ray next fortnight or so.
Get well soon! Here is something to put a smile on your face...
smiling-gif-creepy-human-face-masks-dog-muzzles-amazon.gif

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #23,210 of 39,414
So i am re-organizing my music collection that i have ripped over the years, few were bought too online. Guys who have music in TB or near that, how do you manage to carry them with a DAP? Do you use a combination of external drive + microSD? Or you only carry around a fraction of collection?
the question is, do you really listen to everything on a 400gb microSD card?
I have about 1.5TB of music on a drive at home but only store about 300GB of music on my DAP.

But then again, why not carry everything around, right? :)

Jul 10, 2020 at 12:57 PM Post #23,212 of 39,414
the question is, do you really listen to everything on a 400gb microSD card?
I have about 1.5TB of music on a drive at home but only store about 300GB of music on my DAP.

But then again, why not carry everything around, right? :)
Remember the days when you would need to carry around cassette tapes or CDs for every album? Puts things in perspective. :grin:

Jul 10, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #23,213 of 39,414
Remember the days when you would need to carry around cassette tapes or CDs for every album? Puts things in perspective. :grin:
waiting for bluetooth HP/IEM people to chime in here...
what?! you guys carry around music players?

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #23,214 of 39,414
waiting for bluetooth HP/IEM people to chime in here...
what?! you guys carry around music players?
“Wowwww you spent 2000 euros on earphones!!! Do they at least have Bluetooth?”

Jul 10, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #23,215 of 39,414
“Wowwww you spent 2000 euros on earphones!!! Do they at least have Bluetooth?”

There is one interview with the HiFiMAN's Fang Bian and there is a part about the BT HPs, if anyone is interested...

PS: This is the most hijacked thread I have ever seen. :p

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #23,216 of 39,414
Very nice! The setup is coming along great! My OCD approves of the neat Burson stack. :grin: Although I think a nice tube amp won't be out of place alongside. :wink:
I second the Burson lineup. I personally have the 2W Burson Playmate, the Chord H2, and the EC ZDs tube amp in my desktop lineup, as well as a R2R tube dac/amp. The Burson Playmate is getting all the playtime. I am also currently reviewing Burson's top of line 7.5W Conductor 3 Reference which is blowing my mind.

The H2 used to be my DAC for my EC ZDs, but is inconvenient in form factor for a desktop. The H2 is great for transportable listening and quality CIEM testing outside, but does not have the power of the desktop which I am finding power and/or tubes to be what brings out the texturing that I am looking for. Power also allows me to play HPs and CIEMs at lower volume levels with full fidelity that the H2 cannot. The H2 is world class in performance, but more audiophile delicate than rich thick fun - I want both. The TT2 is better, but still has more of a butterfly wings presentation even with the Mscaler. While the TT2/Mscaler is top of class, I would still need a tube amp for variety to bring that texturing back to the equation for my personal tastes.

The power in the Playmate is enough that I never feel I need to turn on my EC ZDs any more as the Playmate has the tubes texturing, while offering transparency and dynamics that I do not get with my EC tube amp. The Playmate also offers DAC input for my EC ZDs if I ever want to turn it on that is close to my H2 in performance. For about $400, the Playmate is a steal and has a very convenient form factor. The $2K Burson Cv3 Reference takes it all to another level of size, girth, dynamics, and texturing, with an even more effortless performance.

The only downside of the Buson lineup is that - as a low volume listener - some easy to drive HPs/CIEMs can be louder than I like even at a volume of 1 out of 100. However, they take my entire collection of CIEMs and HPs into the stratosphere in performance. My best CIEMs are now competing directly with Exotic HP setups costing in the 10s of thousands.

So, the Burson brings all the characteristics I am looking for - textured butterfly wings - and raises my HP/CIEM collection performance to another level. At $400 or $2K you can choose how far you wish to scale this. There are a lot of great options out there, but this is an easy recommendation.

Jul 10, 2020 at 3:58 PM Post #23,218 of 39,414

before discovering this place (up until 2010) i used to carry a 24-cd case with my discman - oh and i also had to make sure that the discman does not move much cause then the cd would skip

all this , while using a 50$ sony iem and thinking i am the man

how little did i know.... :darthsmile::darthsmile::darthsmile:

Jul 10, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #23,219 of 39,414
man...
I had a sony cassette player that I used to record songs off the radio.
I had to time pushing down on the record button precisely after the DJ stops talking and the song starts playing.
I would take those tapes with me to school.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #23,220 of 39,414
man...
I had a sony cassette player that I used to record songs off the radio.
I had to time pushing down on the record button precisely after the DJ stops talking and the song starts playing.
I would take those tapes with me to school.

i did the same bro , made mix tapes of the radio shows , and tried to do some edits before/affter the dj started/stopped talking

wow you took me 30-35 years back now , but the love for music still remains intact & strong

Users who are viewing this thread

Back