flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Jul 8, 2020 at 11:33 PM Post #23,176 of 39,414
Nice, congrats. I like the Thummim with the Iliad too, stellar combo. Plato is also really nice, the nicest stock cable I've ever seen (if you can call it stock). Thummim continues to impress me and it's a very fun listen.

I wanted to use my Cleo/Leo II bespoke Octa, but it would not fit! Guess I have the version with the pins that needs to be replaced and I didn't want to force it because I already know how that story ends. So alas, I have moved that cable to another IEM and am really enjoying the Iliad on the Erl LE. I really don't see how any cable could not pair well with it, unless the cable is overly warm I suppose. Silver seems to be the preferred cable/sound in my book.

-Collin-
Hi Collin,

Am sorry to hear of the issues that you're facing with the 2pins on the Cleo/Leo II Octas.

You are right in not forcing in the 2pins connector into the IEM, this is something that we definitely DO NOT encourage anyone to do.

The issue of the 2pin is tricky as EA manufactures our 2pins connector to the diameters of 0.78mm (accurate to +/- 0.005mm)

You may wish to check if the diameters on the 2pins conform to that range, if not, you may actually send it back to us for a complimentary rectification.

For further information, please refer to the two Facebook posts that we've made regarding this issue back in March:

Clarification on EA’s Product Recall for 0.78mm 2Pin Connectors
Video: Illustrating the importance the having the right 2pin dimension (0.78mm)

Do let us know if you've any further enquiries regarding this issue and we would be most happy to assist or clarify to the best of our abilities.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #23,177 of 39,414
I rarely had the opportunity to audition my IEMs on a more sedentary setup but I did yesterday try @lafeuill iFi Audio ICAN Pro and I must say as far as upgrade path go, this is probably the biggest bang for bucks to also have a source that has massive headroom with improved dynamic range, quite a bigger soundstage than the best DAPs and boatloads of power and bass punch and control. This is a revelation to me how much my IEMs can scale with this kind of source.

We often think upgrade IEMs and DAPs but an alternative upgrade path if sedentary setup makes sense is a good desktop amp/dac, it's a different use case but it sure is well beyond the marginal gain going from totl DAP to another totl DAP or even a new IEM. Food for thoughts... always had my sights on iFi Audio Pro iDSD for instance and it certainly encourages me to consider this as the next source upgrade path...
I've been looking at desktop setups a lot lately because I would like to get headphones to provide me with some relief at times that IEMs feel uncomfortable. It would be great if such a setup would also work well with IEMs because I would love to see how some IEMs like the Dream XLS or Thummim scale, which I also think would be quite nice to be able to include in my reviews. It is a difficult puzzle though, trying to find a solution that does it all while on a budget (puppies are expensive man!). It seems that versatility comes at a price. Spoke to a manufacturer about it and after a few amp suggestions we ended up at the Chord TT2. That would indeed be the perfect solution, but at €5k it is well beyond my current means. Looked at the Pro iDSD too, but it is still €3k. Of course that is before getting into the headphones themselves and which cans pair well with what amp. I like the look of the ZMF cans, but those work best with OTL tube amps, which would push me towards Feliks Audio. So that whole idea has become a long-term project for me now.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #23,178 of 39,414
I've been looking at desktop setups a lot lately because I would like to get headphones to provide me with some relief at times that IEMs feel uncomfortable. It would be great if such a setup would also work well with IEMs because I would love to see how some IEMs like the Dream XLS or Thummim scale, which I also think would be quite nice to be able to include in my reviews. It is a difficult puzzle though, trying to find a solution that does it all while on a budget (puppies are expensive man!). It seems that versatility comes at a price. Spoke to a manufacturer about it and after a few amp suggestions we ended up at the Chord TT2. That would indeed be the perfect solution, but at €5k it is well beyond my current means. Looked at the Pro iDSD too, but it is still €3k. Of course that is before getting into the headphones themselves and which cans pair well with what amp. I like the look of the ZMF cans, but those work best with OTL tube amps, which would push me towards Feliks Audio. So that whole idea has become a long-term project for me now.
Would the Hugo 2 suffice? Tks.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:42 AM Post #23,179 of 39,414

My vote would be Quloos QLS QA390 although for me personally getting the iBasso DX220 MAX worked for my IEMs and headphones altogether.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #23,180 of 39,414
I was looking at Verite Closed too, and Felikse Audio Elise would be a great amp, maybe use a DAP as a preamp/source? I had that in mind with hugo2 as a pairing.

Heck even a Topping DAC would be a great DAC to it and they measure well as per the audioacience forum.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:49 AM Post #23,181 of 39,414

I've heard a lot of good things said about the RME ADI-2 as a sweet spot all-in-one unit, though I haven't had any experience with it myself.

Jul 9, 2020 at 2:58 AM Post #23,182 of 39,414
I was looking at Verite Closed too, and Felikse Audio Elise would be a great amp, maybe use a DAP as a preamp/source? I had that in mind with hugo2 as a pairing.

Heck even a Topping DAC would be a great DAC to it and they measure well as per the audioacience forum.
D90/A90 stack would be awesome.

I use the A90 + Schiit Modius with my Verite closed and Open on my nightstand. A90 has XLR, 1/4” and 4.4mm outputs. It’s a great deal for $500.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:00 AM Post #23,183 of 39,414
Would the Hugo 2 suffice? Tks.
Could be. From what I remember from discussions a while back the Hugo 2 is not great with sensitive IEMs though.
My vote would be Quloos QLS QA390 although for me personally getting the iBasso DX220 MAX worked for my IEMs and headphones altogether.
Have seen the Quloos a few times, but I haven't looked into it yet. The DX220 Max was firmly on my radar until I found out it was a limited run. I need time to save up because I still owe my wife that puppy first and from what I have seen it looks like the Max is pretty much sold out already. Shanling has an interesting alternative coming up with their M30. I think they will show it off next month.

Yeah, the Elise looks really, really good and based on the description I might prefer it over the more neutral Euforia. My ideal budget solution would be the Echo amp with perhaps the new Schiit Modius DAC and either the Atticus or Eikon. That probably would not work for IEMs, but it is not a priority anyway. I also love the look of the Auris Audio Euterpe.
I've heard a lot of good things said about the RME ADI-2 as a sweet spot all-in-one unit, though I haven't had any experience with it myself.
I have seen a lot of those around and it is indeed a great option, as is perhaps the Mytek Liberty DAC.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:02 AM Post #23,184 of 39,414
I've been looking at desktop setups a lot lately because I would like to get headphones to provide me with some relief at times that IEMs feel uncomfortable.
The new Topping stack (A90 and D90) is getting rave reviews from the objectivists if that's your thing. I'll throw in one from left field: Audio-gd R-28. It's big, bulky, but so smooth, organic and powerful (discrete balanced R2R dac and amp). Also takes a while to procure from Audio-gd in China. But it's my personal endgame (for half the price of a Hugo2!).

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #23,185 of 39,414
Could be. From what I remember from discussions a while back the Hugo 2 is not great with sensitive IEMs though.

Have seen the Quloos a few times, but I haven't looked into it yet. The DX220 Max was firmly on my radar until I found out it was a limited run. I need time to save up because I still owe my wife that puppy first and from what I have seen it looks like the Max is pretty much sold out already. Shanling has an interesting alternative coming up with their M30. I think they will show it off next month.

Yeah, the Elise looks really, really good and based on the description I might prefer it over the more neutral Euforia. My ideal budget solution would be the Echo amp with perhaps the new Schiit Modius DAC and either the Atticus or Eikon. That probably would not work for IEMs, but it is not a priority anyway. I also love the look of the Auris Audio Euterpe.

I have seen a lot of those around and it is indeed a great option, as is perhaps the Mytek Liberty DAC.

Another way to get the "Chord sound" - or, at least, ensure minimal bottlenecks on the DAC end - without going as high as the TT2 would be to go for one of their Qutest DACs instead. I invested in one for the odd headphone/amp review I may do every once in a while, and it's worked out great for me.

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #23,186 of 39,414
I was in this situation not too long ago. But being a Sony fanboi, of course I ended up with the ZH1ES.

Having all the different output ports is just a bonus for me when looking for a proper desktop amp.

It’s really good for IEMs too I must say. No hissing with any IEMs that I own. In fact, I’ve been using it to listen with IEMs more than I do with my headphones.

Jul 9, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #23,188 of 39,414
Same here buddy. I've also been (might be just a phase though) more into desktop / headphones listening over the past months.
I already had a Burson Swing dac and 2 weeks ago I found a good deal on a Fun amp as well => superb sounding combination imho :)
20200709_121741.jpg

With some extra upgrade V6 Vivid and Classic opamps it's even more 'fun' (pun intended), because these affect the signature and are easy to switch inside.

I wish I could tell you that it's also great with sensitive IEMs, but unfortunately I do pick up some hiss / static noise with the Andromeda & Zeus when I pause the music.
Dead silent with my current headphones though.

My next step will probably be to replace the TEAC HA-501 with some nice (preferable compact) tube amp. Looking at Feliks, Icon and Woo atm.

Btw, you're still welcome whenever you're in the neighbourhood :) <= 1,5m => :)

Jul 9, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #23,189 of 39,414
Same here buddy. I've also been (might be just a phase though) more into desktop / headphones listening over the past months.
I already had a Burson Swing dac and 2 weeks ago I found a good deal on a Fun amp as well => superb sounding combination imho :)
20200709_121741.jpg

With some extra upgrade V6 Vivid and Classic opamps it's even more 'fun' (pun intended), because these affect the signature and are easy to switch inside.

I wish I could tell you that it's also great with sensitive IEMs, but unfortunately I do pick up some hiss / static noise with the Andromeda & Zeus when I pause the music.
Dead silent with my current headphones though.

My next step will probably be to replace the TEAC HA-501 with some nice (preferable compact) tube amp. Looking at Feliks, Icon and Woo atm.

Btw, you're still welcome whenever you're in the neighbourhood :) <= 1,5m => :)
Very nice! The setup is coming along great! My OCD approves of the neat Burson stack. :grin: Although I think a nice tube amp won't be out of place alongside. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back