flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 16, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #21,691 of 39,414
I personally found the optimal level to be the Hugo2 - you can get one used for like 1400ish USD nowadays. The SP1000M did a great job too. Either way I’d say something at least decent, my old AK SR15 really couldn’t get the job done with the Ely’s estats
Nice... it’s going for $2,500 on amazon at the moment. I bet I could connect my iPhone 7 to it and play Tidal, Qobuz, and high res files huh?

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:55 PM Post #21,692 of 39,414
With everything going on in the world now, I would only get excited a few weeks before the show, knowing it's still on. Who knew it will escalate that fast; exactly a month ago I was in NYC attending CanJam...
Yeah good point... I bought a ticket last night and booked the discounted hotel just in case then some out. If it gets cancelled maybe they’ll do a refund

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:33 PM Post #21,693 of 39,414
Hang on guys, I'm a bit confused. I had 2 pairs of M5, pre-production and production, which I have reviewed, no issues with a bass. And so far has been reading most of the M5 reviews and impressions, all consistent about the bass.

Now, trying to read through the last few pages here, is there a bad review tour unit that causing a problem or something else?
Nah, I just heard a unit that was inconsistent depending on multiple unknown factors including fit and possible electronics.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:37 PM Post #21,694 of 39,414
Just speculating, but something could have happened to miniature transformer driving EST tweeter. Sonion EST drivers come bundled with a separate transformer (used inside of all these IEMs). If your high frequencies are attenuated, the low end emphasis scales up.

1584363125104.png

Btw, per one of the previous comments about these EST drivers benefiting from more power, not higher voltage, but a source with a higher current drive (similar to Planars that benefit from higher current source). It's true, for example, I found M5 to scale up with Class A amplifiers or other DAPs with higher current drive (R2R2000 or N6ii w/E01). But it wasn't the case with EE Wraith, which could be related to its crossover design. Thus, not every IEM with EST driver will behave the same.
I wonder perhaps if I should redemo the M5 with my R2R2K Red on a higher gain setting.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #21,695 of 39,414
Just read a review of the Elysium on headphonia... man they sound so great I’m thinking about just pulling the trigger on them

I’m a little... uncertain about how to do the impressions. I’ve never done that or got customs. One of the reasons I was thinking about waiting till October CANJAM was that I could maybe get the vendor I choose to take my inpressions right there

however there’s no guarantee that Vision Ears will even be there, even if it doesn’t get cancelled for the Corona thang’

Can anyone give me advice?

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #21,696 of 39,414
I wonder perhaps if I should redemo the M5 with my R2R2K Red on a higher gain setting.

It wouldn't hurt I suppose? I genuinely think the M5 is one of the best IEMs out there, granted we all know how tastes/preferences play a part here, but to me it just does everything so well.

Just read a review of the Elysium on headphonia... man they sound so great I’m thinking about just pulling the trigger on them

I’m a little... uncertain about how to do the impressions. I’ve never done that or got customs. One of the reasons I was thinking about waiting till October CANJAM was that I could maybe get the vendor I choose to take my inpressions right there

however there’s no guarantee that Vision Ears will even be there, even if it doesn’t get cancelled for the Corona thang’

I believe Vision Ears requires closed mouth impressions, other than that it's the same as getting any ear impressions done. Go to a reputable audiologist and they should know what to do. Usually they need to go past the 2nd bend in the ear canal and use lots of material to make sure the ear mold is done well. You should also email pictures of your impressions to Vision Ears before mailing them out so they can confirm they're good impressions to be used.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:30 PM Post #21,697 of 39,414
Personal top 3
Fotor_158440473368048.jpg

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #21,698 of 39,414
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #21,699 of 39,414
Looks like the U12 replaced the LX?

U12t isn't mine, I'm borrowing it on a gracious loan from a friend. These are what I would consider the 3 best "all around" IEMs I have come across. Legend X isn't going anywhere-- it isn't an "all rounder" like the 3 in this picture but for certain music I listen to (hip hop, live jazz and funk as well as some modern pop) it's so much better than everything else that it will always have a place in my collection.

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:57 PM Post #21,700 of 39,414
U12t isn't mine, I'm borrowing it on a gracious loan from a friend. These are what I would consider the 3 best "all around" IEMs I have come across. Legend X isn't going anywhere-- it isn't an "all rounder" like the 3 in this picture but for certain music I listen to (hip hop, live jazz and funk as well as some modern pop) it's so much better than everything else that it will always have a place in my collection.
Which IEM do you think has the best mids Rockwell?

Mar 16, 2020 at 8:59 PM Post #21,701 of 39,414
Mar 16, 2020 at 10:07 PM Post #21,702 of 39,414

Vision Ears has directions on how to have the impressions done. You should be able to find it on their webpage. If not, just contact them and Johannes will send you the information. They are very customer service oriented. You will find they require a relaxed closed mouth impression. I am ordering a pair myself. Good luck.

Mar 16, 2020 at 11:03 PM Post #21,705 of 39,414

Users who are viewing this thread

Back