flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #21,706 of 39,414
Mar 16, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #21,707 of 39,414
Vision Ears has directions on how to have the impressions done. You should be able to find it on their webpage. If not, just contact them and Johannes will send you the information. They are very customer service oriented. You will find they require a relaxed closed mouth impression. I am ordering a pair myself. Good luck.
Dude you’re awesome I’m gonna email him tomorrow

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #21,708 of 39,414
Nice... it’s going for $2,500 on amazon at the moment. I bet I could connect my iPhone 7 to it and play Tidal, Qobuz, and high res files huh?
I’d say start off on the Hiby, and then maybe try something higher end, work your way up - the elysium scales wonderfully, and having a natural progression will be tons of fun. 2500$ for a Hugo2 is way too much though, I got mine brand new for 1450$ from a dealer I had just met - speak to a few stores at least one will give you a good discount on it I think

As to the impressions, VE requires closed mouth, and I’ve personally gotten best result with closed mouth impressions across all manufacturers I’ve bought customs from

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:01 AM Post #21,709 of 39,414
I have a HiBy R6 Pro. Is there another that would get me superior sound do you think? I can grab another one...

If you are happy with the Hiby, you can just add in an iFi Micro iDSD BL if you want more power. One of the best portable DAC/amp in that price range and even higher price bracket. The downside is that it has only one output 6.3mm single ended jack.

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #21,710 of 39,414
Just to clarify things once again for people who already heard MAD line up, I repost here the post from AA.
Dear all,

Hello!

My name is Vadim and I am a member of Ambient Acoustics team.
First of all, we want to thank you for all your impressions and criticism about our products. It really helps us to improve our monitors and do it better.
In the photo below you can see a little evolution of our demo versions of MAD24 IEM. First 2 prototypes were made for test to get more feedback from listener and were not final. Please, take into account, that we made all demo version for approximate familiarization with the sound signature to our CIEM. In the third demo ver of MAD24 IEM we made better fitting according to the first two versions. And also we made some acoustical modification of ANOR (Acoustic Notch Resonator) system, that gives opportunity to draw closer the sound of universal version to customs. As you know MAD line are the first models of custom and universal multidrivers monitors in the world without electrical crossover. To solve problems with frequency bands phase matching of multi-driver earphones, we made a new approach. The separation of frequency bands is carried out due to the natural decreasing of the FR of each driver. And also due to various acoustic load on sound oscillating circuit of the system of sound tubes for drivers and unique acoustic notch filters.
Early, we made all these modifications in customs. But to make it for universal IEM-demo sets were a challenge for us. We spent about 2 years to make it.
So, the last version, that @MrLocoLuciano has, is the final for today. It will be the first official review of demo sets of MAD24 and MAD16 monitors. And we hope, that in near future you will try it.
If you have any questions, please, write it.
24 1.png 24 2.png
I can only invite you to try MAD line up, as MAD16 and 24 are some of the best sounding in-ear I have heard to date.
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ambient-acoustics-mad16.24264/review/23395/

Mar 17, 2020 at 8:43 AM Post #21,711 of 39,414
Personal top 3
Fotor_158440473368048.jpg

I've yet to try the VE8, but the other two are pretty good!

Have you tried the KSE1500 though? It'll save you money and make 2/3 of those dispensable :)

I actually preferred my Solaris OG to my buddy's SE, it's a nice plug and play iem, but u12t is the better total package imho

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 17, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #21,712 of 39,414
I've yet to try the VE8, but the other two are pretty good!

Have you tried the KSE1500 though? It'll save you money and make 2/3 of those dispensable :)

I actually preferred my Solaris OG to my buddy's SE, it's a nice plug and play iem, but u12t is the better total package imho

The VE8 is my favorite :)

I've tried KSE...amazing detail and resolution but it failed to "move" me in the slightest. My own preferences veer away from neutral/technical towards warm/musical. I actually prefer Solaris SE to u12t for this reason-- the u12t excels at detail and layering, and is perhaps a bit more tonally correct...but I prefer the more dynamic "in your face" presentation and thicker mids of the Solaris. That said I could easily be happy with any of these 3 as my only IEM.

Mar 17, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #21,713 of 39,414
The VE8 is my favorite :)

I've tried KSE...amazing detail and resolution but it failed to "move" me in the slightest. My own preferences veer away from neutral/technical towards warm/musical. I actually prefer Solaris SE to u12t for this reason-- the u12t excels at detail and layering, and is perhaps a bit more tonally correct...but I prefer the more dynamic "in your face" presentation and thicker mids of the Solaris. That said I could easily be happy with any of these 3 as my only IEM.
I agree that stock sound is not the most moving, hence why I heavily recommend 1500 over 1200. But I've come up with the perfect EQ correction for KSE1500 that makes it absolutely outstanding, if ever you get a chance to try it again, I'd be glad to share the settings. It brings it to a level where it wipes the floor with anything out there on any front besides soundstage height (its biggest shortcoming), and maybe the Sony Z1R's bass (but extends lower and sound cleaner than Z1R bass).

I also find the solaris og's mids quite thin.. I agree that's one front the SE does much better, along with more textured bass; but Solaris is still quite lean unless your dap has warmth.

Last edited:
Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #21,714 of 39,414
I agree that stock sound is not the most moving, hence why I heavily recommend 1500 over 1200. But I've come up with the perfect EQ correction for KSE1500 that makes it absolutely outstanding, if ever you get a chance to try it again, I'd be glad to share the settings. It brings it to a level where it wipes the floor with anything out there on any front besides soundstage height (its biggest shortcoming), and maybe the Sony Z1R's bass (but extends lower and sound cleaner than Z1R bass).

I also find the solaris og's mids quite thin.. I agree that's one front the SE does much better, along with more textured bass; but Solaris is still quite lean unless your dap has warmth.

Would be great if you can share the EQ settings here for everyone's benefit

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #21,715 of 39,414
I’d say start off on the Hiby, and then maybe try something higher end, work your way up - the elysium scales wonderfully, and having a natural progression will be tons of fun. 2500$ for a Hugo2 is way too much though, I got mine brand new for 1450$ from a dealer I had just met - speak to a few stores at least one will give you a good discount on it I think

As to the impressions, VE requires closed mouth, and I’ve personally gotten best result with closed mouth impressions across all manufacturers I’ve bought customs from
Great, thanks! One thing I do like about the HiBy is the ability to store Tidal and Qobuz offline, in addition to FLAC's, DSD's, etc. I have 100GB of each - need to upgrade from a 512GB card to a 1TB

So to buy a Hugo, I'd need what... 20 rolls of toilet paper? :)

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #21,716 of 39,414
If you are happy with the Hiby, you can just add in an iFi Micro iDSD BL if you want more power. One of the best portable DAC/amp in that price range and even higher price bracket. The downside is that it has only one output 6.3mm single ended jack.
Thanks Levanter, the Micro looks sweet.

What do you think of the iFi Hip DAC? It has a balanced 4.4mm, which I could use with the Lola + the DDHiFi DJ44A

It's cheap, and might even be able to drive my Audeze LCD-2's as a bonus...

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #21,717 of 39,414

Awesome, thanks. I just realized that it will be impossible to get impressions done in the US as long as this virus thing is going on... Really looking forward to getting Elysium

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:05 PM Post #21,718 of 39,414
Luna has arrived
20200317_114046.jpg20200317_113919.jpg20200317_113939.jpg20200317_114147.jpg20200317_113930.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #21,719 of 39,414
Awesome, thanks. I just realized that it will be impossible to get impressions done in the US as long as this virus thing is going on... Really looking forward to getting Elysium
oh man that's really unfortunate :frowning2:

@aaf evo you in the same boat there?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back