flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 17, 2020 at 1:12 PM Post #21,721 of 39,414
need to upgrade from a 512GB card to a 1TB

They're on special at Amazon at the moment - I got one recently in the UK for £220 and figured I'd check and it looks like the US has a decent deal going on at the moment too - $259
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extr...r_1_3?keywords=1tb+sdxc&qid=1584464792&sr=8-3

Bear in mind that in the UK the price jumped around between £419 and £220 (and all sorts in between) almost hourly last week, so nab it while you can

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #21,722 of 39,414
Great, thanks! One thing I do like about the HiBy is the ability to store Tidal and Qobuz offline, in addition to FLAC's, DSD's, etc. I have 100GB of each - need to upgrade from a 512GB card to a 1TB

So to buy a Hugo, I'd need what... 20 rolls of toilet paper? :)

I have tried all the mid-fi DAPs, I have been on the hunt for a TOTL DAP with 4.4mm output, streaming, and offline storage and none exist. From my experience I think that the Ibasso DX200/220/160 are the best sounding, but have a slow UI (like it was a dealbreaker for me). The Fiio M11 Pro is my current favorite under $1000, the Hiby is good too, but the Fiio is more neutral/has a wider stage and more micro detail IMO, so it seems to work well with all IEMs. The Shanling M6 is ok, tons of features, good price, but it doesn't have nearly the SQ as the Fiio or DX. If you want to spend a bit more and call it a day you could get the Cayin N6ii, it is just such a smooth, great sounding DAP with tons of good features.

I also have a Hugo 2, like @mvvRAZ said, you can get a really nice used or on sale one for $1500 MAX.

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #21,723 of 39,414
So I've begun to get really sensitive to IEMs without some sort of pressure EQ (Atom, Apex...etc) and it's making it really hard for me to enjoy my non-vented IEMs. I saw the mod where you poke holes on the inside and outside of your tips to EQ the sound, or pass a string through the tip and cut it to create a little gap.

I was wondering if there is some solution other than the ones above that anyone has found, I'm surprised there isn't a tip manufacturer that makes a pressure EQ tip....or maybe that's crazy?

Mar 17, 2020 at 2:26 PM Post #21,724 of 39,414
So I've begun to get really sensitive to IEMs without some sort of pressure EQ (Atom, Apex...etc) and it's making it really hard for me to enjoy my non-vented IEMs. I saw the mod where you poke holes on the inside and outside of your tips to EQ the sound, or pass a string through the tip and cut it to create a little gap.

I was wondering if there is some solution other than the ones above that anyone has found, I'm surprised there isn't a tip manufacturer that makes a pressure EQ tip....or maybe that's crazy?

Sure I’ll take your Elysium’s :p

You really don’t realize how nice having a vented IEM is until you use one without it. The Solstice helped me notice that as I had a good fit with them.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #21,725 of 39,414
listening to the erlky for the first time in a little over a week...

it is astounding how much detail these have, and how effortlessly it is presented.

as i have felt since the time i first heard these...musicality is simply off the charts.

@Jalo mentioned he listens to his on setting "2" and i have been trying that and really been liking it (vs. setting 1, which i used exclusively during the demo tour - setting 1 is the bassiest, but setting 2 still has a bit of a boost to bass, but slightly sharper treble than setting 1.)

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 3:48 PM Post #21,726 of 39,414

You really don’t realize how nice having a vented IEM is until you use one without it. The Solstice helped me notice that as I had a good fit with them.

Oh I was just about to offer, do you want my Elysiums :wink: ?

Mar 17, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #21,727 of 39,414
Mar 17, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #21,728 of 39,414
listening to the erlky for the first time in a little over a week...

it is astounding how much detail these have, and how effortlessly it is presented.

as i have felt since the time i first heard these...musicality is simply off the charts.

@Jalo mentioned he listens to his on setting "3" and i have been trying that and really been liking it (vs. setting 4, which i used exclusively during the demo tour - setting 4 is the bassiest, but setting 3 still has a bit of a boost to bass, but slightly sharper treble than setting 4.)
Bro, 1 is the bassiest. Don't understand why you are talking about 4.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #21,729 of 39,414
damnit...keep forgetting whether 1 or 4 is the bassiest setting on the erlky.

ya know why, @MrLocoLuciano?

because i am too busy being lost in the music... :relaxed:

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #21,730 of 39,414
@Jalo mentioned he listens to his on setting "3" and i have been trying that and really been liking it (vs. setting 4, which i used exclusively during the demo tour - setting 4 is the bassiest, but setting 3 still has a bit of a boost to bass, but slightly sharper treble than setting 4.)
Hey Toaster, I think you get it backward. Setting 1 is the bassiest setting, I like setting two aaaalot. So much so I still haven't reincarnate to the other levels yet. I keep getting TOTL iems like A8000 and Luna is coming, but at the moment the Erlkonig is still sitting at the top.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #21,731 of 39,414
:cry:

<sigh> thanks for correcting me, guys. not gonna mess this up in the future.

original post has been corrected.

bottom line: erlky is astounding.

Mar 17, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #21,732 of 39,414
Mar 17, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #21,733 of 39,414

Been tempted to try the new acs ambient range with that in.

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #21,734 of 39,414
I have tried all the mid-fi DAPs, I have been on the hunt for a TOTL DAP with 4.4mm output, streaming, and offline storage and none exist. From my experience I think that the Ibasso DX200/220/160 are the best sounding, but have a slow UI (like it was a dealbreaker for me). The Fiio M11 Pro is my current favorite under $1000, the Hiby is good too, but the Fiio is more neutral/has a wider stage and more micro detail IMO, so it seems to work well with all IEMs. The Shanling M6 is ok, tons of features, good price, but it doesn't have nearly the SQ as the Fiio or DX. If you want to spend a bit more and call it a day you could get the Cayin N6ii, it is just such a smooth, great sounding DAP with tons of good features.

I also have a Hugo 2, like @mvvRAZ said, you can get a really nice used or on sale one for $1500 MAX.
That’s great info thanks! No reason why I can’t have more than one DAP too

My JH audio balanced IEM cable just arrived... even to a novice the difference is pretty stunning

Mar 17, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #21,735 of 39,414
Hey Toaster, I think you get it backward. Setting 1 is the bassiest setting, I like setting two aaaalot. So much so I still haven't reincarnate to the other levels yet. I keep getting TOTL iems like A8000 and Luna is coming, but at the moment the Erlkonig is still sitting at the top.
setting 2 was the best for me too. Just the right bass amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back