flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 15, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #21,661 of 39,414
Well if these things are true about M5, I'm going to remove them from my shortlist, too risky!!

Hang on guys, I'm a bit confused. I had 2 pairs of M5, pre-production and production, which I have reviewed, no issues with a bass. And so far has been reading most of the M5 reviews and impressions, all consistent about the bass.

Now, trying to read through the last few pages here, is there a bad review tour unit that causing a problem or something else?

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #21,662 of 39,414
Hang on guys, I'm a bit confused. I had 2 pairs of M5, pre-production and production, which I have reviewed, no issues with a bass. And so far has been reading most of the M5 reviews and impressions, all consistent about the bass.

Now, trying to read through the last few pages here, is there a bad review tour unit that causing a problem or something else?

May be the case. The unit I demo’d is consistent with the CIEMs I purchased. It’s probably my favorite IEM so far also and I would never even get close go describing the bass as bloated. Who knows.

Mar 15, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #21,664 of 39,414
The Fir line-up unit variation is concerning. I they're on my shortlist for next custom IEM. I'm actually a part of the tour for their entire line-up, so I'll be sure to post my thoughts when they get here.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #21,665 of 39,414
On a side note, i placed this order yesterday. Hopefully within 2 weeks I should have it as i paid for rush build too.

Taking a huge risk here blind buying a CIEM, basically goes against anything I preach. Hopefully all goes well.

1584302894769.png

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #21,666 of 39,414
On a side note, i placed this order yesterday. Hopefully within 2 weeks I should have it as i paid for rush build too.

Taking a huge risk here blind buying a CIEM, basically goes against anything I preach. Hopefully all goes well.

1584302894769.png

Exciting man...can't wait to hear your impressions! I hope it's a winner.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #21,668 of 39,414
If you check my signature, you will see that there are links to a US VE tour going on right now if you want to hear them for yourself or check on the impressions. I have the Elysium custom myself and can confirm that it is the best that I have heard for mids/voice and an easy recommendation.
Wow so cool... I live with my gf though and don’t have utility bills in my name

i think I’ll just go with the Elysium. Based on what you guys say I can’t imagine I won’t love them. I’m new to high end gear so I’d probably not even know what to listen for to make the decision

price seems reasonable although their web site is a little goofy. I’m in the US https://vision-ears.de/configurator

thanks!!

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #21,670 of 39,414
hope you think the elysium are awesome, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

if this is your first high-end gear, i'm nearly certain you will be blown away...

Mar 15, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #21,671 of 39,414
hope you think the elysium are awesome, too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

if this is your first high-end gear, i'm nearly certain you will be blown away...
You’d still need a pretty good DAP to get that treble out though... it’s a pretty demanding IEM as far as setups are concerned

Mar 15, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #21,672 of 39,414
hmm, I didn’t listen on anything too crazy, and I was still impressed.

and I’ve heard lots of high-end stuff.

sure it scales nicely, though.

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #21,673 of 39,414
hmm, I didn’t listen on anything too crazy, and I was still impressed.

and I’ve heard lots of high-end stuff.

sure it scales nicely, though.
I personally found the optimal level to be the Hugo2 - you can get one used for like 1400ish USD nowadays. The SP1000M did a great job too. Either way I’d say something at least decent, my old AK SR15 really couldn’t get the job done with the Ely’s estats

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:20 PM Post #21,674 of 39,414
You’d still need a pretty good DAP to get that treble out though... it’s a pretty demanding IEM as far as setups are concerned
I don't have personal experience with the Sonion Estat (yet), but I have heard that the estats require more power than your average IEM driver. Something for people to keep in mind if they planning on portable use.

Mar 15, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #21,675 of 39,414
I personally found the optimal level to be the Hugo2 - you can get one used for like 1400ish USD nowadays. The SP1000M did a great job too. Either way I’d say something at least decent, my old AK SR15 really couldn’t get the job done with the Ely’s estats

the sr15 definitely did not do it for me.

still have yet to hear the m, but the sp1k i heard was fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back