flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #21,467 of 39,414
Y'all know I spend the $$, if I will spend for a Layla Aion. I guess my bigger point is we are all slipping down the Audio Rabbit Hole constantly. Technology is changing slowly, but it is changing. It is like chasing a high and I have sooo many, that if I stopped this hobby tomorrow, I could be happy with. If you have found your happy place with a signature in your current 3K offering what would it take to make it better? Perfection will never happen. 64 Audio has always been on the pricier side of things, the Trio sale was a great offer.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:38 AM Post #21,468 of 39,414
I'm more curious about where we draw the line now. 5 years ago, it was 1k. Anything over 1k was simply a statement piece.

Now we've shifted that line to accept 3.5k. Presumably because there are real gains post 1k now. So I get it.

At some point, charge what you want, you simply can't get any better performance. So, what is the line you draw for iem pricing? Will you accept 5k or perhaps 7.5k to be on the bleeding edge of tech?

Where do we draw the line now?

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:50 AM Post #21,469 of 39,414
I'm more curious about where we draw the line now. 5 years ago, it was 1k. Anything over 1k was simply a statement piece.

Now we've shifted that line to accept 3.5k. Presumably because there are real gains post 1k now. So I get it.

At some point, charge what you want, you simply can't get any better performance. So, what is the line you draw for iem pricing? Will you accept 5k or perhaps 7.5k to be on the bleeding edge of tech?

Where do we draw the line now?
Exactly...diminishing returns kicks in, until new technology, be it drivers, shells, tubes or chamber, takes us to that point. ESTAT hasn't done it for me but to others I am sure it is the cat's meow. One way to think about it is, the higher level of specs in a smaller package has always ruled technology, PC's and cellphones are examples. Samsungs S20 Ultra is $1400, but I fall for that too, and should have it in a week. I love DD but we are over 2K now for a single driver. 12 BA drivers happened 4-5 years ago, now it is trying to do it with less, but still charging more. This has been my gripe with the trend of the industry, yes 64 Audio is costly but they do research. JH Audio costly, but they try new things. It is what it is, and I am fortunate to be able to afford items or receive them forr reviews, but it has caused me to not even flinch when spending 1K anymore. 2K and up gives me a little pause now.

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #21,470 of 39,414
Nice to see companies like Custom Art try and keep it fairly sane. There have been a few others that I would like to try but as I have fit issues with universals there is little to no point unless I get custom tips done which adds to the expense.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:22 AM Post #21,474 of 39,414
Received MMR Thummim and U12t :call_me:
Return of the Homunculus :thumbsup:

Hollidays could be great if I didn't have this pain at the right ear for 2 days now :frowning2:

MMR Homunculus + Eletech Prudence / MMR Thummim + Eletech Plato / 64 Audio U12t + Effect Audio Leonidas II

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #21,475 of 39,414
Paired up with what DAP/source? I had these on burn in for 200hrs now, paired up with N6ii and E01 (in Class A mode) and 2 of their included stick-on filters stacked up on the nozzle tip, no metallic sheen at all. But out of the box or with something more reference tuned like LPGT, they do sound cold.

PS are you Frankie D I talked to during CJ NYC at Musicteck table?
So basically they need a warm source, 200 hours of burn in, and to stick two filters stacked up to sound normal? Sounds like a good deal

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #21,476 of 39,414
unfortunately it’s starting to become the norm. The fact I’m desensitized to wanting an elysium that’ll cost me over $3000 for my third IEM is a problem.

the trick is to pay $3k for a $5k iem.

then it feels like a bargain.

:upside_down:

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #21,477 of 39,414
If you feel something, you feel something. It's all 'bout that synergy from the electric current to the ears, and the heart of the listener

the trick is to pay $3k for a $5k iem.

then it feels like a bargain.

:upside_down:
u-https-33-media-tumblr-com-468eeef9d1853ef98ce761a103c38235.gif

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #21,478 of 39,414
If you feel something, you feel something. It's all 'bout that synergy from the electric current to the ears, and the heart of the listener.

:cry:

That was beautiful.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #21,479 of 39,414
If you feel something, you feel something.

I felt it! I felt it! Oh my wallet, it felt lighter... but at least my heart is full

Last edited:
Feb 29, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #21,480 of 39,414
The prices will always be determined by what the market is able/willing to sustain. So far the highest I've been willing to go personally is ~1.8k...but there are a couple that have been tempting me beyond that. Fortunately with portable audio price does not always correlate to quality and there are many IEMs within the 1-2.5K mark that are at least as good as anything above them. Further the used market often puts even the most exhorbitantly priced gear within the grasp of the everyman.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back