flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Feb 28, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #21,436 of 39,419
I have the erlkonig demo right now. It’s an engaging/musical balanced presentation , I personally find it a bit boring though in the sense that I don’t think it’s that fantastic at anything, but does everything well? For my own tastes also I think the treble is too rolled off.

Whatever you do just take your time and audition everything if possible, nothing can tell you what’s good better than your own ears :)
Thanks for thst, i get what you're saying for Erlkonig! I sure will demo, at that price I have to! I dont think i can do it for Vision Ears, but Fir i can.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #21,437 of 39,419
Thanks for thst, i get what you're saying for Erlkonig! I sure will demo, at that price I have to! I dont think i can do it for Vision Ears, but Fir i can.

You should reach out to Johannes at vision ears. Super helpful guy, maybe he can organize something for you? I don’t know how their demos work as I’m listening through Barra’s tours but it’s worth the ask.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #21,439 of 39,419
In fact i find the A18t more energetic than the M5 due to it's brighter signature lol

:astonished:

Wow, that's crazy.

The A18 is one of the flattest most neutral presentations i've ever heard.

The M5 is one of the most in-your-face fun and hyper-energetic presentations i've ever heard.

Maybe you're saying the A18 has sharper more detailed treble. If so, I'd agree.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:31 AM Post #21,440 of 39,419
I have the erlkonig demo right now. It’s an engaging/musical balanced presentation , I personally find it a bit boring though in the sense that I don’t think it’s that fantastic at anything, but does everything well?

Boring?!

Blasphemy, sir!

I think someone's drunk on the hyper-energy of the m5. :upside_down:

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:34 AM Post #21,441 of 39,419
Boring?!

Blasphemy, sir!

I think someone's drunk on the hyper-energy of the m5. :upside_down:

boring is a dangerous word to use, the erlkonig is one of the few IEMs I find myself tapping my feet while listening to, I guess more in the sense that it’s just a very balanced listen? Unless you go to setting 1 which I’d argue is borderline L shaped.

Feb 28, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #21,442 of 39,419
balance is why i love the a18.

and balance is why i love the erlkonig...the erlkonig just has very high fun and musicality.

m5 is just bonkers fun.

and for the record, i fell in love with the erlky on setting "1."

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #21,443 of 39,419
:astonished:

Wow, that's crazy.

The A18 is one of the flattest most neutral presentations i've ever heard.

The M5 is one of the most in-your-face fun and hyper-energetic presentations i've ever heard.

Maybe you're saying the A18 has sharper more detailed treble. If so, I'd agree.

If you are talking about bass thumping energy then yes, M5 definitely has more energy when it comes to EDM, bass pumping type songs. However A18t PRaT to me is faster which makes it more energetic than M5 overall. Listening to ballads with the M5 doesn't give me the in-your-face fun, it can actually be gentle and delicate, while A18t will feel more in-your-face type. You can attribute that to it's bright detailed presentation if you want, while M5 is more of the emotion and music, hence why it sounds that way with ballads.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #21,444 of 39,419
^

Think we're basically saying the same thing at this point.

A18t transients are unquestionably the fastest i've ever heard.

In frenetic piano passages i swear i can hear the start of every single note...

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2020 at 10:47 AM Post #21,445 of 39,419
^

Final A8000 takes transient response speed to another level (pure beryllium drivers), faster than 18t. Not a very forgiving IEM if you are dealing with poorly recorded mixes, and performs better with music that has natural instruments (rather than synthesized EDM stuff), but the speed of A8k response is something else, reminds me of planar magnetic driver performance.

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #21,446 of 39,419
My take on the Campfire Polaris II :)

photo_2020-02-26_22-50-54 (4).jpg

Feb 28, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #21,447 of 39,419
Final A8000 takes transient response speed to another level (pure beryllium drivers), faster than 18t.

Never heard them.

At this point not looking for anything faster, actually looking for something "slower" and more musical and fun.

Thus, the erlky.

Feb 28, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #21,449 of 39,419
^

Well not exactly the same, you still think M5 is more energetic than A18t while to me it’s the opposite lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back