flinkenick's 17 Flagship IEM Shootout Thread (and general high-end portable audio discussion)
Mar 2, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #21,499 of 39,414
It is so easy to come with statement like that... :rolling_eyes:
Don't know why, but I have seen a lot of animosity aimed at MMR and Joseph in particular. It is a good example of what I talked about before. It is easy to dehumanise and criticise a manufacturer when you yourself risk nothing.

Mar 2, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #21,500 of 39,414
I think the problem with demoing new gear these days, especially iems, is that people are too used to older sound sigs. Since iems are still kind of young in the industry, companies are still trying to figure out how to tune them, and the responses seem to change from person to person. But if people are only trying an iem once or twice without spending much time to get used to the signatures, it kind of renders all those impressions unreliable. Is it bad because of signature? Transients being incoherent from bass to treble? Sibilance? Just conjecture.
In general demoing universals is a bit of a nightmare, you really have to spend some time to get the fit right before you are even hearing what you were supposed to be hearing. I for one managed to get a 64 IEM to fit well for the first time *ever* and was quite astounded by how well it sounds :D

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #21,501 of 39,414
Btw is it just me that has stopped receiving email notifications almost entirely? Every now and then I get something in my email but it's rather spontaneous and quite rare. It's really annoying cause I have to go to specific threads to see if there are any discussions going on

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:37 AM Post #21,502 of 39,414
Btw is it just me that has stopped receiving email notifications almost entirely? Every now and then I get something in my email but it's rather spontaneous and quite rare. It's really annoying cause I have to go to specific threads to see if there are any discussions going on
I get both alerts here and email notifications just fine!

Mar 2, 2020 at 4:39 AM Post #21,503 of 39,414
I get both alerts here and email notifications just fine!
I think I am getting them only for a short period after commenting on something. I got the notification from your response just now for example but haven’t gotten anything over the weekend

Mar 2, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #21,504 of 39,414
I had a few issues after the forum update - I had to unwatch and rewatch my favourite threads and that seems to have worked for me.

Mar 2, 2020 at 5:36 AM Post #21,505 of 39,414
I had a few issues after the forum update - I had to unwatch and rewatch my favourite threads and that seems to have worked for me.
Ahhh that might be the solution - I will give it a try and report back

Mar 2, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #21,507 of 39,414
@mvvRAZ I'm curious what made you swap your Noir to a regular Fourte. I was contemplating before when there was still some stock of the Noir whether to get it or not as I already have the Fourte.
Honestly I feel like the Noir is more of a Trio upgrade than a Fourte one

The treble is indeed more linear and in line with the rest of the frequencies, but it feels a bit hot to me, while the Fourte's highs, while peaky, are able to deliver outstanding control, detail and extension. They would be a bit too much for many, but once the community agrees an IEM sports too much treble, I know it's the one for me :D

I have discussed this quite extensively with @ceeloChamp and we agree that while the Fourte has a fundamentally flawed tonality, that is also what gives it that ethereal quality and feeling that has given it its reputation. It most definitely suits me much better than the Noir, and I feel remains the more unique of the two

Mar 2, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #21,508 of 39,414
I think I am getting them only for a short period after commenting on something. I got the notification from your response just now for example but haven’t gotten anything over the weekend
Same here. I thought people stopped posting! Don't know what happened, but it seems that Email notifications are starting to come more regularly now. Maybe not all of them, but I am getting more than I was over the last few days.

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #21,509 of 39,414
Honestly I feel like the Noir is more of a Trio upgrade than a Fourte one

The treble is indeed more linear and in line with the rest of the frequencies, but it feels a bit hot to me, while the Fourte's highs, while peaky, are able to deliver outstanding control, detail and extension. They would be a bit too much for many, but once the community agrees an IEM sports too much treble, I know it's the one for me :D

I have discussed this quite extensively with @ceeloChamp and we agree that while the Fourte has a fundamentally flawed tonality, that is also what gives it that ethereal quality and feeling that has given it its reputation. It most definitely suits me much better than the Noir, and I feel remains the more unique of the two

Never heard Noir, but fully agree on Fourte. I’m pairing it with that lovely Cleo/Leo and the technicalities of that combo reach new heights for me. Natural tonality be damned!

-Collin-

Mar 2, 2020 at 11:28 AM Post #21,510 of 39,414
Never heard Noir, but fully agree on Fourte. I’m pairing it with that lovely Cleo/Leo and the technicalities of that combo reach new heights for me. Natural tonality be damned!

-Collin-

if you ignore "natural" tonality, the fourte does take you to narnia (shoutout to @PinkyPowers - hope you're well, man!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back